Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

underwear

Old 09-03-20, 07:55 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
If you're gonna be "funny" then just say Steel Wool.
Sweat + Steel Wool = Rust

Sure don't want rust dripping down the ol' seat post, ya know.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-03-20, 08:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Champion, Under Armor or any good brand of poly wicking fabric underwear are good. That's what I wear for casual rides and errands on my hybrids. I use softer saddles -- Lycra fabric over progressive density foam -- so I don't need padded shorts on the hybrids. I save the padded shorts for my road bikes.

Newer poly fabrics don't retain body funk odors. The only poly fabric item I've tried in years that retained odor was a cheap hi-viz t-shirt from a hardware store. It was as bad as the poly sports fabrics of the 1970s -- basically disposable because there was no way to deodorize the junk.

But poly wicking fabrics made during the past decade or so are much better, about as good as merino wool. I have a Pearl Izumi baselayer that's better than any merino wool stuff I've worn. It's from around 2012, their Transfer fabric impregnated with charcoal. I can wear that thing for a week without washing and it still has no odor. Much easier maintenance than merino wool Unfortunately it was very expensive and PI discontinued it. You can still buy similar fabric base layers from hiking and mountaineering shops, but it's pricey stuff.

The only problem I've had with Champion wicking fabric compression boxer/briefs are the waistband elastic gives up after 2-3 years. Not bad for underwear, tho'. I bought half a dozen 2-3 years ago and they've held up well other than the waistband elastic, although part of the problem may be my weight loss. I've dropped about 10-15 lbs since I bought 'em.

I also have some RBX brand poly/cotton blend compression boxer/briefs that are better than I'd expected. I didn't realize when I bought them they used cotton, but they've turned out to be fine on casual bike rides and errands. No swamp butt. RBX makes knockoffs of popular name brand sports wear, including shoes, and they're good and cheap. Check Ross or Marshal's stores for bargains on non-specific sportswear. No bike apparel, but plenty of general purpose athletic clothes, with deep discounts.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-03-20, 09:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The cost of good cycling shorts is a small price to pay for riding a real bicycle.
Define a "real" bicycle.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-03-20, 10:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix

OK...
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-03-20, 11:27 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
These are good if riding in street clothes.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Perf...-16&th=1&psc=1

Was curious and looked these up at your link. They aren’t available in Men’s sizes
Old 09-03-20, 11:46 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Was curious and looked these up at your link. They aren’t available in Men’s sizes

True that that seller only shows small & medium (which fits me, and I think I generally qualify as a man);

the champion site has xl = more manly?
Old 09-03-20, 12:17 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
OK...
Perfect. Turns green instead.

Now back to that hot potato that indyfabz posted . . .
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-03-20, 12:30 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
How to Wear Cycling Shorts Properly

Just ask coach and mountain bike icon Alison Dunlap. The 2001 XC World Champion made one of the most common slip-ups during her first major collegiate race: wearing underwear.

“This was the biggest event I’d done in my life, and I was scared out of my brain. Literally 10 minutes before the start, this guy I had the biggest crush on comes up to me and says, ‘I don’t know how to tell you this, but you’re not supposed to wear underwear under your bike shorts.’ Our shorts had white panels down the sides, so I’m sure he could see the color of the flowers on my panties. I was horrified,” Dunlap told Bicycling in a 2010 interview.

Whoops!

Dunlap actually ducked into a porta-potty and stashed her undies in her jersey pocket before dashing back to the start line. The moral of the story is: Confusion happens to the best of us. But we’ll spare you those uncomfortable newbie moments with this easy guide to wearing those padded bike shorts properly.
How to Wear Cycling Shorts Properly

Last edited by capt_velo; 09-03-20 at 12:31 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 09-03-20, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Underwear is not discussed because underwear is not worn with cycling shorts.
Where does it say that every cyclists has to wear cycling shorts ??….What you wear on your butt depends on how comfortable your saddle is and the length/duration of your ride...OPs question is legit for those who choose not wear cycling specific shorts.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-03-20, 04:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
we talk jackets, shorts, water proof trousers, boots etc, but i rarely see underwear mentioned.
I mostly have cotton trunks(too much information!?) but im wondering if there is a better alternative?
Merino definitely fits the bill, but its also very expensive, 1 pair of trunks is the cost of 4 or more regular trunks.
Synthetics are fine, but the smell factor is a real issue
Does anyone have any suggestions that are genuinely better than the regular cotton underwear?
I wear tight fitting boxer briefs made form synthetic wicking fabric I wash them after a ride when I take a shower. Most cotton underwear isn't a good choice for cycling because the seams on the inside are too rough and they can rub the sensitive areas and cause irritation or saddle sores.
Old 09-03-20, 08:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
How does this relate to an upright position vs. an aero position? I've also heard good things about tri shorts, with chamois but no padding.

I have to say, I envy you guys for having boxers. We women don't have that option; women's "boxers" have a 2" long leg, which is just stupid.
Old 09-03-20, 09:31 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I wear underwear made of shark's teeth and the broken femurs of angels.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-03-20, 09:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix

Glennr beat me to it but don't forget that bronze wool is less prone to corroding and anti-microbial to help keep the smell down.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Much easier maintenance than merino wool Unfortunately it was very expensive and PI discontinued it. You can still buy similar fabric base layers from hiking and mountaineering shops, but it's pricey stuff.
Wasn't aware merino has any special maintenance requirements. I've been buying icebreaker a pair at a time as I need to replace cotton, can't say I treat them any differently. I also tend to wear cotton t-shirts vs. jerseys since I can wear a t-shirt and then go about my business after the ride without smelling while after a ride I've yet to find a synthetic jersey that doesn't stink.

OP, merino might be up there but follow Amazon for sales. I've bought my icebreaker for 20-22 a pair rather then the 40-50 that lots of places seem to sell it for. Does work well for all day comfort.
Old 09-04-20, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Korina
How does this relate to an upright position vs. an aero position? I've also heard good things about tri shorts, with chamois but no padding.
Some tri-folks I know prefer shorts with little or no padding to reduce clothing changes between events. They use saddles with more padding to compensate, often with split noses or perineum relief cutouts to air dry their bottoms quicker. I haven't seen anyone wearing unpadded or minimally padded tri-shorts and a standard firm roadie saddle with little or no padding for the 50-100 mile bicycle segment.

I have a couple of tri-saddles, one a Cobb borrowed from a friend, the other a Selle Italia saddle very similar to the Cobb that I bought on a lark. They're odd. They're comfortable only in the more aggressive, aero position. To make one of them comfortable for routine use on one road bike I had to adjust my fit by using a longer stem to get a bit more stretched out, and carefully setting the handlebar height.

But I still prefer padded shorts. I've tried those saddles a couple of times wearing minimally padded shorts (Aerotech Pro) and wouldn't want to ride more than 20 miles with tri-shorts.
Old 09-04-20, 02:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Wasn't aware merino has any special maintenance requirements.
I used merino wool for years and it's relatively high maintenance stuff compared with contemporary poly wicking fabrics. I had to carefully arrange my jersey on a drying rack to retain its shape. The socks and shorts wore out quicker. And the real chamois leather pads of the early wool shorts were more demanding to clean and preserve the pad so it didn't dry and crack.

And with the handwashing and air drying, even with a fan, my cycling clothes were still damp the next morning. I remember riding to work wearing damp cycling shorts and jerseys many mornings in Southern California when I worked there. Fortunately the weather was rarely cold. Nowadays my poly wicking fabric cycling shorts and jerseys are dry overnight hanging over the tub with a fan blowing.

And if someone tries to "help" with laundry and washes and dries merino wool in machines on high or even warm heat, good luck getting it back to shape. Sometimes it can be done with some careful stretching and shaping. But I've had to give away wool sweaters and shirts that someone else dumped into the machines with cotton clothing. The waist length could never be recovered.

For me the last straw was living in a rural area where it was very difficult to keep out fabric-eating critters -- larvae of moths and carpet beetles. We had a traditional cedar chest and added mothballs, etc., but eventually nothing kept the critters out and they nibbled holes in every bit of natural fabric other than cotton -- wool, linen, silk, etc. We kept a few items in Tupperware and even had one particular type of weevil eat through the plastic to get to the stuff stored inside!

Before 2015 the last time I tried poly fabrics was during the 1980s and it was pretty bad. But the newer poly wicking fabrics are much better.

I think the only wool clothing I've kept is my Navy pea coat from 1976. Occasionally I get an itch to buy a long sleeve wool jersey just for nostalgia's sake.
Old 09-04-20, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Here's an apt definition:

A pedal-driven, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other, that upsets certain tricycle-piloting octogenarian types.
How about octogenarians that rides a------------pedal driven single track vehicle having two wheels attached to a frame one behind the other, as in a recumbent bicycle. Is it a "real" bicycle????
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-04-20, 09:19 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina

I have to say, I envy you guys for having boxers. We women don't have that option; women's "boxers" have a 2" long leg, which is just stupid.
2" inseam because women generally wear much shorter shorts (over them)?
Old 09-04-20, 09:35 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I used merino wool for years and it's relatively high maintenance stuff compared with contemporary poly wicking fabrics. I had to carefully arrange my jersey on a drying rack to retain its shape. The socks and shorts wore out quicker. And the real chamois leather pads of the early wool shorts were more demanding to clean and preserve the pad so it didn't dry and crack.

And with the handwashing and air drying, even with a fan, my cycling clothes were still damp the next morning. I remember riding to work wearing damp cycling shorts and jerseys many mornings in Southern California when I worked there. Fortunately the weather was rarely cold. Nowadays my poly wicking fabric cycling shorts and jerseys are dry overnight hanging over the tub with a fan blowing.

And if someone tries to "help" with laundry and washes and dries merino wool in machines on high or even warm heat, good luck getting it back to shape. Sometimes it can be done with some careful stretching and shaping. But I've had to give away wool sweaters and shirts that someone else dumped into the machines with cotton clothing. The waist length could never be recovered.

For me the last straw was living in a rural area where it was very difficult to keep out fabric-eating critters -- larvae of moths and carpet beetles. We had a traditional cedar chest and added mothballs, etc., but eventually nothing kept the critters out and they nibbled holes in every bit of natural fabric other than cotton -- wool, linen, silk, etc. We kept a few items in Tupperware and even had one particular type of weevil eat through the plastic to get to the stuff stored inside!

Before 2015 the last time I tried poly fabrics was during the 1980s and it was pretty bad. But the newer poly wicking fabrics are much better.

I think the only wool clothing I've kept is my Navy pea coat from 1976. Occasionally I get an itch to buy a long sleeve wool jersey just for nostalgia's sake.
Modern Merino wool undies, I prefer boxer briefs for riding in are a whole different animal from what you've dealt with. I just throw mine in the washer and toss in the dryer with everything else. I've never sorted clothes into color, type or however people do it. Just dump the basket in till about full, toss in a cap of detergent. Dry on med-high heat and dump into another basket to pull from as needed.
Can't speak for others but my icebreakers and the two trek/Nike jerseys I have simply don't care. I've had the jerseys for 12 years and the underwear for 18 months.
I know old fashioned wool has some problems, one of my kilts would never survive the dryer though I still use med heat water in the washer on hand wash setting with all free and clear to wash it. Had 2 for 10 years which I wear regularly and other than fraying at the edges they don't mind the wash.
Old 09-04-20, 11:28 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by capt_velo
2" inseam because women generally wear much shorter shorts (over them)?
No, because women are supposed to always want to look cute and sexy. I can't say for certain that's why women's thermal shirts have an open neckline that exposes most of the chest, but I suspect it is.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-04-20, 11:35 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
My first--

Bike Forums LOL of the day!

Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Yours too? So does mine! but she's got early onset Alzheimers so every once in a while a get granny panties to wear. Such a treat!
Old 09-04-20, 11:38 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Some tri-folks I know prefer shorts with little or no padding to reduce clothing changes between events. They use saddles with more padding to compensate, often with split noses or perineum relief cutouts to air dry their bottoms quicker. I haven't seen anyone wearing unpadded or minimally padded tri-shorts and a standard firm roadie saddle with little or no padding for the 50-100 mile bicycle segment.

I have a couple of tri-saddles, one a Cobb borrowed from a friend, the other a Selle Italia saddle very similar to the Cobb that I bought on a lark. They're odd. They're comfortable only in the more aggressive, aero position. To make one of them comfortable for routine use on one road bike I had to adjust my fit by using a longer stem to get a bit more stretched out, and carefully setting the handlebar height.

But I still prefer padded shorts. I've tried those saddles a couple of times wearing minimally padded shorts (Aerotech Pro) and wouldn't want to ride more than 20 miles with tri-shorts.
I don't know how long her rides are, but Laura from Path Less Pedaled wears tri shorts, and the women from RaD Bike Adventure seemingly wore regular underwear under their regular shorts on their 14 month tour. I'm not sure how, because anything over 10 miles starts chafing me around the leg holes something fierce.
Old 09-04-20, 11:39 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I'm going to assume this is a serious question and take it as a given that I am not up to the "granny panties" level of repartee.

I wear long thin sweats (I mean, pyjama-thin); under it I have bike shorts; under that I have a briefs-type athletic supporter. I find that when I only wear bike shorts things get kind of scrambled. I also (under the thin sweats) wear gaiters to protect my lower legs from mishaps.

And I always, always, wear a mask. Around my neck, most of the time. When I'm coming up on people or I see people coming towards me, I pull it up over nose and mouth. About 10 or so yards later, if it's clear, I pull it down.
Old 09-04-20, 03:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How about ... a pedal driven single track vehicle having two wheels attached to a frame one behind the other, as in a recumbent bicycle. Is it a "real" bicycle????
No, that's just a La-Z-Boy with a wheel upgrade.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-07-20, 02:57 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But then on bents and trikes we dont have to wear high priced shorts to protect us from our rides. I wear $15 rugby shorts and my regular whitey tightey underlovelies (blush) and have no problems at all.
On my bents, I often wear a swimsuit. Works fine.
Old 09-07-20, 11:52 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
You don't wear underwear with cycling shirts. And you shouldn't wear cotton if you're doing anything that makes you sweat.
Likes For dkatz1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.