Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you(would you) ride a bike to a dinner evening party?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 11:52 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

This Christmas we'll have a party that I typically drive to. It's about 8 miles through a mountainy road to my boss's house. Dinner will let out at around 10 PM. There will be wine and beer. I could theoretically bring a backpack with clothes and a wipe. But I think it'll be seen as a move that yells, "Looking for attention," which I don't think I am doing. Any excuse to bike though...
Old 09-22-20, 12:09 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I probably would not on an occasion like that. I have in the past, when my bicycle was my only transport, though.
Old 09-22-20, 12:58 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
My decision would be based on safety, not appearance. It is a mode of transportation and if people want to make judgements, it is their problem. They will figure it out one day.

I worked hard to get more people to bike to work. Finally, the President led a ride during bike to work week. That was the only time most people biked but it showed an interest.

Encouraging your work place to become a Bicycle Friendly Business per the League of American Bicyclelists might be worth pursuing.

Last edited by debade; 09-22-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 01:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I bike to work year-round and in the dark, 9 miles each way changing into office clothes that I bring with me. So in as much as the distance, staying "fresh" and changing into clothes I've brought, I could and would do it. And I have biked to meals and get togethers with friends.

Since I'm married and my wife doesn't ride more than 3 miles at a crack, I couldn't ride to a party with her (even with a tandem).

But seriously, I would do it with these reservations...

1) How well do you know this "mountainy road"? riding an unfamiliar road can be problematic during the day, but even more so at night. What kind of "blind" corners and "blind" hills are there. Is there room for two vehichles? Two vehicles plus a bike? What are the shoulders like, if any? Do drivers speed on it? If it's dirt or gravel stopping times will be lengthened. I suppose you could do some reconnaissance with your bike or car beforehand.

2) How visible are you? Do you have adequate night gear like lights and reflectors?

3) How close to Christmas is this? There may be plenty of drunk and impaired drivers out there who won't be expecting a bicycle out there on the "mountainy road".

4) Will you yourself be drinking? Biking while blotto can be dangerous.

5) If everyone is leaving around the same time and you leave among the first, will co-workers be able to pass you on this "mountainy road" or will they be backed up behind you crawling impatiently at bicycle speeds instead of car speed. That would not win you any friends at work.

6) If a co-worker of your preferred gender and sexual orientation desires a post party rendezvous, will you be able to fit your bike in their vehicle? If not, is the destination one you can ride to and still be in shape to "participate". And if so, will the amount of time it takes to rendezvous so great "interest" will be lost? (You could always catch a ride without the bike and fetch it later).
Old 09-22-20, 03:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You know the part in Nutcracker where Herr Drosselmeyer arrives?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-22-20, 04:01 PM
burritos

1) How well do you know this "mountainy road"? riding an unfamiliar road can be problematic during the day, but even more so at night. What kind of "blind" corners and "blind" hills are there. Is there room for two vehichles? Two vehicles plus a bike? What are the shoulders like, if any? Do drivers speed on it? If it's dirt or gravel stopping times will be lengthened. I suppose you could do some reconnaissance with your bike or car beforehand.
I've done it up and down several times. Never at night. Good bike lanes on the straight sections but in the windy part for about 1 mile, there's room for two vehicles. If there's a bike, it's kind of squeeze, no bike line. There's even a 'share bike' sign in the lane painted on the ground. I'm not going to take the lane and go 5 mi/hr up a hill for a mile. I squeeze to the right. Too windy for cars to fly by. When I go downhill, no one passes.
2) How visible are you? Do you have adequate night gear like lights and reflectors?
Front/rear lights/wheel reflectors.

3) How close to Christmas is this? There may be plenty of drunk and impaired drivers out there who won't be expecting a bicycle out there on the "mountainy road".
Early December.

4) Will you yourself be drinking? Biking while blotto can be dangerous.
2-3 drinks. I weigh 130lb.

5) If everyone is leaving around the same time and you leave among the first, will co-workers be able to pass you on this "mountainy road" or will they be backed up behind you crawling impatiently at bicycle speeds instead of car speed. That would not win you any friends at work.
No. Windy road is between my boss and my house. Everyone else will go the opposite direction towards freeway access.

6) If a co-worker of your preferred gender and sexual orientation desires a post party rendezvous, will you be able to fit your bike in their vehicle? If not, is the destination one you can ride to and still be in shape to "participate". And if so, will the amount of time it takes to rendezvous so great "interest" will be lost? (You could always catch a ride without the bike and fetch it later).
Am married. She's not going.
Old 09-22-20, 04:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
I've done it up and down several times. Never at night. Good bike lanes on the straight sections but in the windy part for about 1 mile, there's room for two vehicles. If there's a bike, it's kind of squeeze, no bike line. There's even a 'share bike' sign in the lane painted on the ground. I'm not going to take the lane and go 5 mi/hr up a hill for a mile. I squeeze to the right. Too windy for cars to fly by. When I go downhill, no one passes.

Front/rear lights/wheel reflectors.

Early December.

2-3 drinks. I weigh 130lb.

No. Windy road is between my boss and my house. Everyone else will go the opposite direction towards freeway access.

Am married. She's not going.
Okay...I'd go!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-23-20, 01:50 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the 150 or 33 or 23 or another road?
Old 09-23-20, 07:38 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
My decision would be based on safety, not appearance. It is a mode of transportation and if people want to make judgements, it is their problem. They will figure it out one day.

I worked hard to get more people to bike to work. Finally, the President led a ride during bike to work week. That was the only time most people biked but it showed an interest.

Encouraging your work place to become a Bicycle Friendly Business per the League of American Bicyclelists might be worth pursuing.
Your reasoning is sound.
Old 09-23-20, 09:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

In history times, people used to ride things called horses, which are like e-bikes but made of meat, to fancy dress parties all the time. Will there be a servant there when you arrive to take your bike? And another for your coat?
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-23-20, 11:21 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
the 150 or 33 or 23 or another road?
https://www.citizensjournal.us/ventu...-lane-project/

Portrero road between Newbury Park and Sherwood.
Likes For burritos:
Old 09-23-20, 11:29 AM
RashidD

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably not. As you said, it could be seen as an attention grab.
Old 09-23-20, 11:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
https://www.citizensjournal.us/ventu...-lane-project/

Portrero road between Newbury Park and Sherwood.
haven’t ridden it with the new improvements yet but have ridden it in the past. pretty area. missing out on that gnarly western end climb/descent is for the best. i don’t recall a really objectionable stretch where you’re describing and wouldn’t be opposed to doing as you’re contemplating. it would likely help to give it a test-ride at night in the next few weeks during the time frame you plan to be returning home from the shindig. perfect night riding weather now.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-23-20, 12:22 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
This Christmas we'll have a party that I typically drive to. It's about 8 miles through a mountainy road to my boss's house. Dinner will let out at around 10 PM. There will be wine and beer. I could theoretically bring a backpack with clothes and a wipe. But I think it'll be seen as a move that yells, "Looking for attention," which I don't think I am doing. Any excuse to bike though...
Originally Posted by RashidD
Probably not. As you said, it could be seen as an attention grab.
I have previously posted to this thread:Getting to a business or social event”
Originally Posted by CatJim
I wasn't sure if here or commuting was a better place. I chose hear as it isn't a regular commute.

Does anyone have tips for getting to a business or social event? Basically, how do you not show up needing a shower to a date or a company happy hour or similar?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m a decades-long year-round commuter, 14 miles one way, here in Metro Boston. In my job I work pretty much solo, dressed in surgical scrubs, and I clean up before I leave home, so day-to-day presentation is no big deal.

However, if I need to get to an IMPORTANT business function, or social event, sometimes work-related, even black tie, I’ll just take more conventional transportation, because if I ride, I ride hard.

I have posted: in fact when my wife and I go dancing dressed to the nines, we could take a subway, but prefer to drive.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 09-23-20, 10:01 PM
Bicicletta89

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Now that it’s getting cooler I find I don’t sweat a lot unless it’s a hard ride. If it weren’t up tons of hills I think it’d be fine for me.

still, I wouldn’t bike in a suit, but “nice casual” clothes sure.
Old 09-27-20, 07:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
OP, you must really be a planner -- to be worrying about a party that is three months in the future.

Are you even sure it will happen? Parties aren't a good idea during a pandemic. Shoot, one of the advantages of Covid is that I probably won't have to go to an office holiday party this year.
Old 09-27-20, 10:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Koyote
Shoot, one of the advantages of Covid is that I probably won't have to go to an office holiday party this year.
For the past three years my employer has held its "Christmas" party before Thanksgiving in order to put it ahead of a scheduled layoff date as they gradually downsized here and moved jobs across the country. Fun, it hasn't been.
Old 09-27-20, 12:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Actually I did. The evening events were not formal. They were with friends and coworkers and they would be at a time where there was still daylight when they ended.
Old 09-28-20, 04:21 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
It sounds as if it is out in the country, with ample parking and low traffic. Therefore, a bike is not necessary and a car would suffice, If roads were salty, I would probably ride to keep my car from rusting.
Old 09-28-20, 05:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've ridden my bike to dinner parties, picnics, the symphony, opera, and a protest march.

The only time when I'm in formal attire is when I'm also bringing a musical instrument.
Old 09-29-20, 07:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In history times, people used to ride things called horses, which are like e-bikes but made of meat, to fancy dress parties all the time.
I understand that you meant this as humor, but...

You'll have to cite references for a statement like that. This would likely have been the rare exception rather than the rule.

More likely that for a "fancy dress party", attendees were brought in closed carriages or coaches drawn by horses. Even frontier folk in America used wagons for basic transport unless speed was the primary need. For anything "fancy" (the operative word), then better clothing would be worn.

For the OP, the operative principle is to honor the host and hostess. Would your arrival by bike, and any distraction that this might bring to the guests, be dishonoring to the hosts? If so, reconsider your plan. If not, enjoy yourself, but be presentable so as to not to be seen as disrespectful of the occasion or of others. Check your motives.
Old 09-29-20, 08:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I understand that you meant this as humor, but...

You'll have to cite references for a statement like that. This would likely have been the rare exception rather than the rule.

More likely that for a "fancy dress party", attendees were brought in closed carriages or coaches drawn by horses. Even frontier folk in America used wagons for basic transport unless speed was the primary need. For anything "fancy" (the operative word), then better clothing would be worn.

For the OP, the operative principle is to honor the host and hostess. Would your arrival by bike, and any distraction that this might bring to the guests, be dishonoring to the hosts? If so, reconsider your plan. If not, enjoy yourself, but be presentable so as to not to be seen as disrespectful of the occasion or of others. Check your motives.
I did mean it as humor. I thought about several other ways to extend the joke too, like that couples and families need a carriage, but single men are more likely to arrive on horseback a bike. Or that classy people are more likely to have driven while poorer are more likely to walk. Or that making a splash might be the actual goal, and that it is ok goal to have, as long as it's not rude to the host, as you say. But you won't know if it's successful until it's too late.

The real answer to the original question is, "No one will even notice or care unless you tell them."
Old 09-29-20, 08:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Ride a bicycle 8 miles home after attending a Christmas party after 10pm?

No

During that time of year at that time of night too many people are driving after drinking alcohol or using drugs. It isn't worth the risk, to me.
Old 09-29-20, 09:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

^^^ oh that's a good point

When we found her Christmas morning
At the scene of the attack
She had hoof-prints on her forehead
And incriminating Claus marks on her back
---
I've warned all my friends and neighbors
Better watch out for yourselves
They should never give a license
To a man who drives a sleigh
And plays with elves
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-30-20, 11:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've done some weird things on bike. I'm a quirky person. I rode to a concert that I performed in, wearing my full tuxedo. I got some laughs from pedestrians, and that was part of the fun.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.