Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Metric 100 Tomorrow

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 04:20 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts

I am planning an unofficial metric 100 tomorrow. 62.5 miles. My longest ride to date is 54.7 miles. My goal is to complete the ride comfortably.

I will ride 9 miles to the beginning of a 30 mile group ride and 9 miles home. Resupply and head out for another 15 for a total of 63 miles or so.

The group ride starts at 8 am. I will leave home around 7 am and take my time getting to the start. It should not take an hour to go 9 miles so I might add a few miles on the way.

There is a break about half way on the group ride. So I should have a chance to get more water and a snack about every hour.

I will carry two water bottles on the ride. One with water. One with Gatorade. I will bring two Clif bars. That should get me through the first two hours and then I will be able to resupply. Two more hours and I should be home and can resupply again. I am going to drink more than I have in the past. I think I have let myself get a bit dehydrated in other rides.

I have had three 50 plus mile rides. The first two wiped me out. The last one was not bad. I think on the first two, I did not hydrate and eat enough. My objective for this one is to manage my pace, hydration and nutrition really well so that it is an easy ride. I plan to do an Imperial century in December and I want to learn more about managing my ride better.

Comments and suggestions encouraged.
Old 09-25-20, 05:49 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
If you can do 54, you can do 62.5

You're on the right track. In the beginning ride a pace maybe a bit slower than you think you should. Then just drink before you're thirsty, eat before you're hungry, and you'll be fine!
Likes For abshipp:
Old 09-25-20, 06:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This sounds completely do-able. If I decide I want to do a metric, I just go out and do it. There are usually club rides of that distance every weekend in the summer. Using a shorter ride as a springboard is a smart way to do it. It's been a few years since I would make a goal of 6-8 full centuries each year. Those are fun too but just take longer. Hills, of course, can affect your pace while you're out riding. Luckily, terrain in my home range is fairly flat - usually only about 20 feet/mile.

Anyway, I think you'll do just fine. Remember to stay hydrated and don't be afraid to stop somewhere for a snack. These rides are supposed to be fun, not death marches.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-25-20, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
did 100 miles today. Being under 45F, I had to remind myself to drink water.
If you plan on taking 1 water, take a back-up bottle of water too. I drank over 69oz of water & didnt even need to make a pitstop.
Old 09-25-20, 06:26 PM
Sorg67

Will be a flat ride here in Florida. 70 F at the start. Near 90 F at the end.
Old 09-26-20, 05:15 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I am planning an unofficial metric 100 tomorrow. 62.5 miles. My longest ride to date is 54.7 miles. My goal is to complete the ride comfortably.

I will ride 9 miles to the beginning of a 30 mile group ride and 9 miles home. Resupply and head out for another 15 for a total of 63 miles or so.

The group ride starts at 8 am. I will leave home around 7 am and take my time getting to the start. It should not take an hour to go 9 miles so I might add a few miles on the way.

There is a break about half way on the group ride. So I should have a chance to get more water and a snack about every hour.

I will carry two water bottles on the ride. One with water. One with Gatorade. I will bring two Clif bars. That should get me through the first two hours and then I will be able to resupply. Two more hours and I should be home and can resupply again. I am going to drink more than I have in the past. I think I have let myself get a bit dehydrated in other rides.

I have had three 50 plus mile rides. The first two wiped me out. The last one was not bad. I think on the first two, I did not hydrate and eat enough. My objective for this one is to manage my pace, hydration and nutrition really well so that it is an easy ride. I plan to do an Imperial century in December and I want to learn more about managing my ride better.

Comments and suggestions encouraged.
Riding most half of this with a group could be a big help. Stay in someone's draft and save some energy. Periodic stopping and snacking is always a big help.

When I did my first metric century I'd only previously ridden 50 miles. The extra distance wasn't too bad at all. By the time you're doing ~50 miles you've likely already figured out what works for you as far as pacing and refueling goes.

Bring some "roadside assistance" supplies in the event of a blow out or other mechanical issues. Make sure your phone is charged. Have a route mapped out and be familiar with it.

Get some good sleep, eat a breakfast that works for you, and have fun. Good luck!! We have faith in you.
Old 09-26-20, 05:32 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
"Drink before you are thirsty" was the best advice I ever got for long rides. Whatever hydration/eating approach you used on your successful 50 mile ride, do that again and you'll be fine!

I try to take a drink every five miles and finish a 24 oz bottle every 25 - 30 miles but everyone is different and sun/temp/wind changes it.

Since you are riding in FL, if it is a mostly flat ride, I find that on long flat rides pedaling standing up every now and then helps get blood flowing to the nether regions and helps my rear end feel better at the end.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 09-26-20, 08:16 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
You have a solid plan. Will be easier than you think.
Old 09-26-20, 10:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
what was the outcome?
Old 09-26-20, 11:31 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by Troul
what was the outcome?
103 Km. Easier than I expected. Drank more than I usually do. I think that helped.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 09-28-20, 05:20 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Good job! Congratulations!

Florida here, Treasure Coast. Being here in SE Florida, I've found that hydration and salt replenishment is absolutely essential. We sweat a lot here, and that needs to be replenished. I use Infinit Go Far. It's an electrolyte powder with the intention of making the whole task of fluid, electrolyte, calorie and protein replacement easy. You don't need to eat energy bars, eat salt tablets or anything else. Just drink one bottle per hour on the bike and you'll be good. Like the old Progresso commercials, "It's in there!" The draw back is that it is bit expensive, averaging about $3.00 per bottle, but I love that it makes it idiot proof. During the summer months, I make sure I drink 1 bottle per hour and when it begins to cool down, I drink one about every 80-90 minutes. I find it works well to drink a sip every ten minutes. During the summer I may also bring a third bottle of just water if I start getting thirsty.

Using this method, I no longer have cramps after an endurance ride or bonk. Good luck!
Old 09-28-20, 05:44 AM
Sorg67

I also added Gatorade rather than just water. I suspect that helped. I drank about 20 oz of fluid an hour. I also did a good job of pre-hydrating the day before and the morning of. I believe that the need for hydration on the bike depends on the starting level of hydration.

I did a lot of my hydrating at rest stops about once an hour. Little while riding as much of the ride was in traffic and you have to be constantly ready for evasive maneuvers. I have to get better about making sure I drink when the opportunity to do so presents itself.