Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lawyer/Attorney recommendations?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lawyer/Attorney recommendations?

Old 09-25-20, 05:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm a lawyer. My advice is don't hit pedestrians.
Old 09-25-20, 06:23 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Did you apologize when hitting the pedestrian? Was the apology recorded in any way? If so, you may be SOL.
Old 09-25-20, 07:11 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Bit late to the discussion but what about https://www.bikelaw.com

Last edited by But its me; 09-26-20 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling, doh!
Likes For But its me:
Old 09-25-20, 07:28 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

I agree with my co-counsel here.

However, if you must hit pedestrians, be sure to back up, and hit them again, so that they cannot testify against you.

Then call me.

I'm kidding, of course.

Don't call, text. I might be busy.
Old 09-25-20, 08:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Why do I feel sort of like this was a well executed spam post?
That exact same thought crossed my mind when I saw the recommendation post.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-26-20, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SVTNate
I agree with my co-counsel here.

However, if you must hit pedestrians, be sure to back up, and hit them again, so that they cannot testify against you.

Then call me.

I'm kidding, of course.

Don't call, text. I might be busy.

BTW, I have found that bikes aren't particularly good for chasing ambulances.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-26-20, 05:29 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by peteyg
I have been summoned to answer to damages after hitting a pedestrian in NYC. Does anyone have any good lawyer recommendations? Thanks!
These guys are pretty cool and pro-bike; they gave a presentation in the shop about bike accidents and what to do.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-26-20, 05:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
That lawyer has given some solid advice ^^^^^^^^^..
Old 09-26-20, 08:29 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I recommend Rudy Giuliani
Old 09-26-20, 09:00 AM
peteyg

Bikes: TCR SL

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
To all those that keep repeating that this is not the place to seek advice on attorney recs are living proof that this is not the place.
So if you ever get hit by a car and survive or are involved in a crash I strongly recommend you don't revisit this thread.
To all those that have given great recs and advice are the reason they are wrong.
Happy riding.
Old 09-26-20, 11:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
I recommend Rudy Giuliani

What do you mean he hit a pedestrian? I mean he hit a pedestrian but that pedestrian had dealings in the Ukraine and even though he hit the pedestrian he hit a lot of other things and he did the right thing in hitting that pedestrian because some one else would have hit that pedestrian worse.
Old 09-26-20, 02:03 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
To all those that keep repeating that this is not the place to seek advice on attorney recs are living proof that this is not the place.
So if you ever get hit by a car and survive or are involved in a crash I strongly recommend you don't revisit this thread.
To all those that have given great recs and advice are the reason they are wrong.
Happy riding.
> I only recommended him because my 1st choice was Michael Cohen but he got disbarred. Please don't feel bad a lot of people are giving psychiatric advice on BF and I along with many many others are doing better. Now to your case > your case may present the opportunity for YOU to zealously represent yourself and prove by skillful counterclaim that pedestrians are generally more negligent than bicyclists. play that comparative negligence card and prove the guy was 60% at fault. piece of cake for a savvy NYC cycler & a win for you is a win for BF.
Old 09-26-20, 03:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What do you mean he hit a pedestrian? I mean he hit a pedestrian but that pedestrian had dealings in the Ukraine and even though he hit the pedestrian he hit a lot of other things and he did the right thing in hitting that pedestrian because some one else would have hit that pedestrian worse.
He hit a pedestrian but it wasn't a pedestrian. I never said he hit a pedestrian. Did you ever consider the possibility that the pedestrian hit him? How do we know the pedestrian wasn't secretly riding a bike? Right now I'm investigating an Iranian secret bike connection. Yes, but this time make it a double and keep 'em coming. Sorry, what was I saying?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-26-20, 03:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Did you apologize when hitting the pedestrian? Was the apology recorded in any way? If so, you may be SOL.
Apologies or not, odds are anyone who hits a pedestrian while riding a bike is SOL.
Old 09-26-20, 03:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

To all those that keep repeating that this'll is not the place to seek advice on attorney recs are living proof that this is not the place.
Happy riding.
Try not to hit anyone else. I have sympathy for people who get hit by cars, apparently you're on the other end, so probably best not to try to play the guilt-trip card.

Also, as a lawyer, I can tell you it's a really, really bad idea to admit you hit a pedestrian on a social media site. You did that in the op, y'know. Just hope someone doesn't figure out who you are. I can think of two people who have a lot of incentive to track that admission down.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-26-20 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-26-20, 05:57 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Apologies or not, odds are anyone who hits a pedestrian while riding a bike is SOL.
I'm not a lawyer. Heck, I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I tend to think this isn't necessarily true, at least in my neck of the woods. Pedestrians still have some responsibility when crossing the road. They can't just wantonly step into a travel lane without repercussions if they get hit. If they're in a crosswalk, they're covered outside of that, they should be held responsible for their actions.
Old 09-26-20, 06:31 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I guess you don't have insurance, or you wouldn't be posting this question here. Don't go to the yellow pages; unless you are suing someone, most of these guys won't even take your call. If you are a student, your school should have a contact list for attorneys and such, and all cities (or counties or states) have a legal aid office of some kind which can refer you to a lawyer.

You can also try to work out something directly with the victim in this case. If he sues you, in the end he is not going to end up with much money. His lawyer will take at least one-third of any award or settlement as his fee, and then add expenses. These expenses often add up to another one-third. If the victim gets a $10,000 award, he will likely see around $3000 of it. If you negotiate to pay him the $3000 directly, he gets the same amount as he would have gotten using a lawyer, but you pay thousands less than you otherwise would.
Old 09-26-20, 08:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ririder
I'm not a lawyer. Heck, I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I tend to think this isn't necessarily true, at least in my neck of the woods. Pedestrians still have some responsibility when crossing the road. They can't just wantonly step into a travel lane without repercussions if they get hit. If they're in a crosswalk, they're covered outside of that, they should be held responsible for their actions.

Well, facts are facts and neither of us knows what they are, but it would take some pretty extreme ones for the cyclist not to have the primary responsibility here. My job is to predict judges and juries, and I'm pretty sure the cyclist is coming to the plate with 2 strikes.

Remember, I'm giving odds, not saying it's an absolute certainly.
Old 09-26-20, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by ririder
Oh man, you missed out. Those Holiday Inn Expresses are excellent!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-26-20, 08:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I guess you don't have insurance, or you wouldn't be posting this question here. Don't go to the yellow pages; unless you are suing someone, most of these guys won't even take your call. If you are a student, your school should have a contact list for attorneys and such, and all cities (or counties or states) have a legal aid office of some kind which can refer you to a lawyer.

You can also try to work out something directly with the victim in this case. If he sues you, in the end he is not going to end up with much money. His lawyer will take at least one-third of any award or settlement as his fee, and then add expenses. These expenses often add up to another one-third. If the victim gets a $10,000 award, he will likely see around $3000 of it. If you negotiate to pay him the $3000 directly, he gets the same amount as he would have gotten using a lawyer, but you pay thousands less than you otherwise would.
I don't practice in New York, but he got a summons. It's probably too late for that, plaintiff has a lawyer, and is probably looking for a hell of a lot more than $10,000.

Definitely true tort defense lawyers generally work for the insurance company or the insured. You can't do contingency fee on defense, so you're going to need a big retainer.
Old 09-26-20, 09:12 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
He hit a pedestrian but it wasn't a pedestrian. I never said he hit a pedestrian. Did you ever consider the possibility that the pedestrian hit him? How do we know the pedestrian wasn't secretly riding a bike? Right now I'm investigating an Iranian secret bike connection. Yes, but this time make it a double and keep 'em coming. Sorry, what was I saying?
I don't know who the pedestrian is. I never met him. I might have had my picture taken with him a few times but I don't know him.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 01-08-21, 07:41 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I'm a cyclist and my advice is to avoid lawyers.
Old 01-08-21, 07:53 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I'm a cyclist and my advice is to avoid lawyers.
bad advice.

Never pass up the chance to be buddies with lawyers. Its kinda like being friends with a plumber or mechanic.
Old 01-08-21, 08:03 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I'm a cyclist and my advice is to avoid needing to hire lawyers.
Man, there is one in every crowd
Old 01-08-21, 05:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Zombie thread resurrected by a newbie who posted a very odd comment. I don't even know what the comment is supposed to refer to, or mean.
Likes For phughes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.