Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

Merckx Frame FS

Search
Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Merckx Frame FS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 08:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Merckx Frame FS

Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra 61cm Bike For Sale $300

I am posting this for a friend. He initially asked me for an inspection and “touching up” of his Merckx frame and fork, it had a headset with it. He now wishes to sell it.

“Recently KM asked me to evaluate his Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra frame and fork. It measures as a 60.5 seat tube c-c, 59cm top tube c-c, 41.5cm chain stay (aprox) with a 36x24 BB shell 70mm wide.

The paint shows a number of chips and such although none that are major. The chrome on stay/blade ends are in good shape. No dents, dings, ripples, cracks or other structural issues are found. The BB and steerer threads are in good shape. The drop out screws are freely moving. The seat binder area is not deformed, the 27.2 post fits snuggly and tightens well. Viewable interior has no rust. All shorelines and brazing look nice with only a few tiny locations of typical production “good enoughs”.

The included Shimano Dura Ace headset (7400?) is in rough shape, has had the retainers replaced with full compliment of balls and turns with indexed roughness when adjusted to no slop. The seat binder bolt is clean and straight.

I did an alignment check on both the frame and fork. The main frame has about .001” of twist over 8.5” (Seat tube WRT head tube). The seat tube and down tubes have about .100” of deviation from the shell’s LH face measured at the tube ends. The rear triangle is about .040” off center WRT the main triangle with the drop out widths about 126mm. Drop out parallelness is fairly close. The fork’s dropout width is about 102mm, well centered on the steerer’s axis. The blade lengths are nearly exactly the same, the wheel centers well. Some small crown/dropout twist exists and the dropout parallelness is slightly off.

Assessment- The frame is in pretty good condition and rather straight. All the frame’s alignment measurements are within common production tolerances if not better. The fork is less so but still nice and easily corrected.

Actions- The dropout screws were lubed with PB blaster then Triflow. The drop outs were aligned to be more parallel. The seat tube was honed internally to reduce any burrs. Bottle boss bolts were replaced with stainless steel button head bolts. The fork blades were set to minimize the slight twist and its drop outs were also aligned parallel. The headset was cleaned, lubed with Phil grease and reassembled.

Conclusion- The frame and fork are as straight and un damaged as one can expect for a many year old rider. I expect this frame/fork to continue to bring the next rider miles of positive experience. Although not showroom condition it is a good example of this mark and model.”

Photos are supplied by the owner. The frame is not in my hands but I will answer any questions I can quickly and others I will get the answers from the owner ASAP.

This frame and fork will be packed by a 47 year LBS guy, me, and shipped via Bike Flights but only to the lower 48 US states. Buyer to pay actual shipping, (local pick up can be arranged for a savings). Payment will be via my PayPal. Shipping to follow in a reasonable week or so. After sale is completed a donation will be made to Bike Forums. Andy

Old 09-24-20, 08:40 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
PM sent.
Old 09-25-20, 03:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
An SLX Merckx frame for 300 bucks. The world has turned upside down.
Old 09-25-20, 07:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I should have noted my "rules" for the sale. I give each possible buyer 2 days to reply/pay to my quote of total cost (including calculated shipping) before I will feel free to move on to the next person who responded. I take this as a first come first chance to pay or loose their place in the line, after a reasonable time. Andy
Old 09-25-20, 03:32 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Italian BB with 126mm rear? Cool frameset!!
Old 09-25-20, 07:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

The last photo imager shown is a mistaken click. It's an Atala city bike I fixed at work some months ago. Andy
Old 10-11-20, 12:22 PM
Brockwell_local

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow - this is a great bike at an unreal price!
Old 10-12-20, 07:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

F&F have sold. Andy
Old 10-23-20, 10:16 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Finished bike. Testor's light red was a near perfect color match.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 10-24-20, 07:09 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Finished bike. Testor's light red was a near perfect color match.

Looks like to another classic ride in your stable and making it harder to choose which to ride