Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980's Marinoni Special

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1980's Marinoni Special

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 08:06 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
1980's Marinoni Special

Went to go try on a saddle a local fellow was offering. The saddle just didn't fit, !@#$% it! I really wanted it to. Oh well. He also had a couple of bikes for sale, for his friends he'd stated; a peugeot and a norco. He asked me if I thought what he was asking was fair and I said "yes, you are close". I told him that if he got X amount then he should rest easy nights. He was satisfied with the assessment. The norco was the nicer bike in my opinion, which I shared. I also noticed (what turned out be his brothers') mid-80's Marinoni Special hanging on the garage wall ... in my size (XL). Here is where the story gets a little irritating.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 09-25-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 08:34 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
The ending needs work.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-25-20, 09:23 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Indeed... I had to end it before the BF system autologged off and I'd lose the post (and all the typing).

To continue, I asked the fellow about the bike and he said his brother was "kind of funny" in perhaps a difficult sort of way. Who knows what type of relationship he has with the guy so I wasn't going to push it. The fellow i was dealing with was, perhaps 60 or so years old. I measured the bike on the wall and said it'd fit yours truly. He wrote down my number and said he'd let me know more in the future. That could have been a kiss off, or not. I never asked for his phone number but I did write subsequently two weeks later to follow up. Not even a reply. So, I'm going to leave it at that I think. Do I need that bike? No, not really. It'd be kind of cool to ride it though. Rims were narrow and the frame not built to receive fatter tires. Had 105 on board. It'd need work too and the paint was a little chewy. I'm really more interested in a modern road touring bike. I think pricewise I could have obtained it for something decent, judging by the pricing of his other bikes. It is just that the Marinoni is my size and that isn't always an easy bill to fit in a quality ride around here.
Old 09-25-20, 09:48 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
If this is from Guy Maddin's next film, it should be pretty good....
Old 09-25-20, 09:48 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
There was a Marinoni my size at the start of the pandemic. Excellent condition, looked my size. Still a bit pricey but not too bad I guess for a Marinoni in Vancouver. Owner was a senior, and unfortunately a ferry ride away. I was hoping I could go when the situation normalized a bit but it's not quite there yet. Seller offered to meet up at the ferry landing but even then I'd have to take the bus and the ferry to get there and it will take most of the day and my wife will notice if I'm gone too long... I still have the seller's contact info so if I change my mind I could give it another shot, if he still has it.

Old 09-26-20, 05:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
The ending needs work.
I don't care how this thread turns out, you gave me a laugh that will last the rest of the day. Thank you
Old 09-26-20, 07:33 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by due ruote
The ending needs work.
The marshmallow test is speaking volumes here