Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Camelbak

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 11:58 AM
Redrovermiami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camelbak

Whats the best CamelBak or knock off for Mountain Biking??

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-15-20, 12:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Really ?. CamelBak make 18 alone for biking. Are we supposed to read your mind as to how you intend to use it ?, are you female perhaps (6 of those), a child (1 of those), 10, 50, 70, 85 and 100 oz versions, so what kind of rides do you do and what duration ?. Mountain bike or road ?. Knockoffs start at $15 at Walmart, or you can get a $190 version at REI. What's your budget ?.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-15-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 01:00 PM
Redrovermiami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL Steve B.

Ok so Male rider over 40 . mountain and or road...I have a 20oz? or they are 16 not sure... cage bottle that I go through in a 5-10mile ride Was looking for something that holds 2-3x so I dont run out when Im riding 10-25 miles or on the mountain bike trail. I was reading some aren't good because they dont have a magnetic clip...

So I guess 50 or 70 maybe 85oz ounces?

That should narrow it down just a tad?

Thanks
Old 05-15-20, 02:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Not sure what the magnetic clip is.

How much stuff do you want/need you carry beyond water ?, as in, some places you want a rain jacket as it gets cold at altitude. That drives the size. Had a really old CB Mule, could handle 100oz but no room for a jacket. I then found a deal on a Quest pack from Dicks, paid $20 for it, usually sells for $50. It’s actually a really nice pack, has comfortable shoulder straps and cross chest clip. I don’t like the bite valve on the Quest reservoirs so I just use my old 100oz CB reservoir, as I like the CB BiteValve. I actually hate the CB reservoirs whose bladder cap is some odd line-up-the-tabs system and that I’ve failed to properly close on 2-3 occasions, with a subsequently drained bladder. I prefer a simple design I can get ice cubes into and that screws shut. Generally I’d say get big as you don’t always have to carry stuff, but when you do it’s nice to have the capacity. The Quest fits that niche for me.

Edit: A normal "road bike" standard is about a 20oz bottle per hour. I tend to drink more on the mt. bike especially on hotter days, so a 25 mile mt. bike ride @10 mph = about 2.5 hrs of riding, so maybe 70 oz would be minimum ?,

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-15-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 08:45 AM
Redrovermiami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not sure what the magnetic clip is.

How much stuff do you want/need you carry beyond water ?, as in, some places you want a rain jacket as it gets cold at altitude. That drives the size. Had a really old CB Mule, could handle 100oz but no room for a jacket. I then found a deal on a Quest pack from Dicks, paid $20 for it, usually sells for $50. It’s actually a really nice pack, has comfortable shoulder straps and cross chest clip. I don’t like the bite valve on the Quest reservoirs so I just use my old 100oz CB reservoir, as I like the CB BiteValve. I actually hate the CB reservoirs whose bladder cap is some odd line-up-the-tabs system and that I’ve failed to properly close on 2-3 occasions, with a subsequently drained bladder. I prefer a simple design I can get ice cubes into and that screws shut. Generally I’d say get big as you don’t always have to carry stuff, but when you do it’s nice to have the capacity. The Quest fits that niche for me.

Edit: A normal "road bike" standard is about a 20oz bottle per hour. I tend to drink more on the mt. bike especially on hotter days, so a 25 mile mt. bike ride @10 mph = about 2.5 hrs of riding, so maybe 70 oz would be minimum ?,
thanks for the info

maybe I’ll order a 50 and 70

I just really need the water. I have a bag on my bike for my phone and small items.

I don’t ride in the rain. So no rain jacket wallet in the small bike bag.

any knock offs good?
Old 05-16-20, 11:37 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve been using the blowfish for a really long time. Expandable storage area for rides when you want to bring some extras(shell, food, beer, etc). Zips down to more compact when you don’t need as much.
Old 05-16-20, 02:13 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Redrovermiami
t

any knock offs good?
I could not possibly know them all, other than the Quest brand from Dicks that I'm impressed with.

Check out REI they are running a sale currently. Also BackCountry, Sierra Trading, Campmor.
Old 05-16-20, 05:27 PM
jfondren3

Bikes: 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 2021 Trek Domane AL2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently I ride with a Camelbak Mule on both my mountain bike and dirt bike. Works great and holds everything I need plus plenty of water. I just ordered an Osprey waist pack that has a 1.5L bladder. So I'm going to try that out and it will still hold some tools or snacks. Several buddies have the Osprey and it has a magnetic clip for the drink hose. My Camelbak Mule doesn't have the magnetic clip and I really wish that it did.
Old 05-18-20, 07:05 AM
Redrovermiami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfondren3
Currently I ride with a Camelbak Mule on both my mountain bike and dirt bike. Works great and holds everything I need plus plenty of water. I just ordered an Osprey waist pack that has a 1.5L bladder. So I'm going to try that out and it will still hold some tools or snacks. Several buddies have the Osprey and it has a magnetic clip for the drink hose. My Camelbak Mule doesn't have the magnetic clip and I really wish that it did.
I got the 50 oz camelback hydrobak. After about an hour ride I found that I almost finished drinking all the water. Its hot and humid down here in Florida. Might be good in the wintertime when its not so hot out.

I picked up a Camelbak Rogue 85oz (2.5L) and an osprey Katari 3 2.5L as well to try out.
Old 05-18-20, 05:09 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I like the LR Camelbak models. The weight of the water is lower vs other models.
Old 05-25-20, 06:34 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
I have a 1st generation Camelbak Rogue. Holds 2L, and almost nothing else. I don't ride with extra layers (because, lazy?), All i need it to hold is a pump, my wallet and an ID tag in case I get hit by a car or drop of a heart attack.

It doesn't have a magnetic clip for the bite valve, but i haven't found that to be an issue.
Old 05-25-20, 06:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 7,678 Times in 4,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrovermiami
thanks for the info

maybe I’ll order a 50 and 70

I just really need the water. I have a bag on my bike for my phone and small items.

I don’t ride in the rain. So no rain jacket wallet in the small bike bag.

any knock offs good?
I use Cenote bladders. Got my first one almost 2 years ago. Just got a fresh 4-pack of 3 litre bladders in the mail the other day.

More difficult to fill from our fridge filter than Camelbacks, and also more difficult to put ice in. But they're almost free compared to CamelBak reservoirs.