Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tube not inflating - issue with valve?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-11-20, 07:15 PM
jawchops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks: I installed a new tube in my road bike's rear tire, but I cannot inflate the new tube. It's a presta valve. I unscrew the nut at the top of the valve, but cannot seat the pump on the valve. Also, when I push on the nut, there's no telltale "psssht". So, I don't know if there's something wrong with the valve, or it's user error. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-20, 08:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
One possibility is that the tube was damaged while putting things together, & it won't inflate because there's a hole in it.
Old 08-11-20, 10:07 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Does the pump have a pressure gauge? What does it read during each compression stroke? Do you hear any air moving whilst pumping?
Old 08-11-20, 10:56 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jawchops
Hi folks: I installed a new tube in my road bike's rear tire, but I cannot inflate the new tube.....Also, when I push on the nut, there's no telltale "psssht".
If you haven’t been able to get any air in there, there won’t be any leak on depressing the nut.

Are you using the pump head right? Maybe you’re trying to connect it with the head in the ”closed” position. Try again with the lever on the pump head the other way.
Old 08-12-20, 03:45 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
This may sound gross but: with the nut fully loosened on the presta valve, you should be able to blow air into the tire with your mouth. If that works, not the valve.

The other posts asked the right questions, one addtional one: the pump you are using can do presta valves, yes? And you have the inflation head (what you are pushing on the valve) in the presta setting if it can do both presta and schrader and isn't a dual use head?

Last edited by jpescatore; 08-12-20 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 05:55 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by jawchops
Hi folks: I installed a new tube in my road bike's rear tire, but I cannot inflate the new tube. It's a presta valve. I unscrew the nut at the top of the valve, but cannot seat the pump on the valve. Also, when I push on the nut, there's no telltale "psssht". So, I don't know if there's something wrong with the valve, or it's user error. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Is the valve long enough that it sticks out of the rim far enough? Valves come in different lengths and if it is too short the pump won't grab it. If this isn't the issue, take the tube out and try inflating it and see what happens.
Old 08-12-20, 06:25 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Before I bother putting tube inside tyre, I usually inflate it first... and leave overnight or longer.
Then deflate & install.

saves a lot of rework in long run
Old 08-12-20, 08:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
In addition to what others have said, think about how a presta valve functions. There is no spring (like a shrader) to bring the valve back up to seal. It relies on the pressure in the tube. So when the tube is completely deflated, there is no pressure pushing the core back up to sealed position. You may need to try inflating a little by mouth, or maybe have the valve at 12:00 position, so the core falls closed after a pump stroke.
Old 08-12-20, 09:10 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Make sure the valve core is tight in the stem. I just had this happen on a wheel, the valve core got slightly loose, and it would not hold air.
But wait, I just noticed OP says he can't seat the pump on the stem, that indicates he might be using the Schrader setting on the pump, as noted above.

Last edited by AndrewJB; 08-12-20 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 12:35 PM
jawchops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies. The pump seems to be fine - works fine on the front tire.

I think it is the tube - I removed the tube, inflated it a bit, and it deflated pretty quickly. Did a quick check and didn't see a hole. I should note it is an unused tube, but it had been sitting in my saddle bag for about eight years, so maybe it just exceeded its shelf life?

In any event, I'll head to the LBS and get a couple new tubes and try again. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-20, 01:45 PM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Try putting the partially inflated tube in a bucket of water and you should see bubbles of air coming out from the offending leak.
Old 08-13-20, 01:48 PM
jawchops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
This may sound gross but: with the nut fully loosened on the presta valve, you should be able to blow air into the tire with your mouth. If that works, not the valve.

The other posts asked the right questions, one addtional one: the pump you are using can do presta valves, yes? And you have the inflation head (what you are pushing on the valve) in the presta setting if it can do both presta and schrader and isn't a dual use head?
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Is the valve long enough that it sticks out of the rim far enough? Valves come in different lengths and if it is too short the pump won't grab it. If this isn't the issue, take the tube out and try inflating it and see what happens.
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Before I bother putting tube inside tyre, I usually inflate it first... and leave overnight or longer.
Then deflate & install.

saves a lot of rework in long run
Originally Posted by freeranger
In addition to what others have said, think about how a presta valve functions. There is no spring (like a shrader) to bring the valve back up to seal. It relies on the pressure in the tube. So when the tube is completely deflated, there is no pressure pushing the core back up to sealed position. You may need to try inflating a little by mouth, or maybe have the valve at 12:00 position, so the core falls closed after a pump stroke.
Originally Posted by AndrewJB
Make sure the valve core is tight in the stem. I just had this happen on a wheel, the valve core got slightly loose, and it would not hold air.
But wait, I just noticed OP says he can't seat the pump on the stem, that indicates he might be using the Schrader setting on the pump, as noted above.
Thanks again - I did find a hole in the tube. Got a couple new ones today and hopefully riding by this weekend!