Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alloy or Carbon? Specialized Diverge

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 03:48 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan on upgrading from my Diamondback Overdrive mtb. So far my deduction given the current availability of bike brands near me, is probably a Trek Checkpoint ALR4/5 or a Specialized Diverge. However moving up the Diverge line and hearing from what other people have said, the Future Shock seems very appealing especially when riding on gravel trails. In terms of the Specialized bike I am indecisive between the Diverge Comp E5($2100) and the Diverge Base Carbon($2500).

To give a background of my riding/needs, I am coming from my 2017 Diamondback Overdrive 29ner, which is running a 3x8 Tourney/Acera combo. I use to use this bike for commuting, riding for at most 5 miles. It wasn't until a couple of months ago with the whole Covid, I ventured out to go on 10, 20, and then quickly 30 miles. Now I am able to do 50 mile trips. Because its a hardtail and the drivetrain, I know in terms of biking efficiency I'm pretty low and when I do get a gravel bike, I would probably be way quicker. So basically the technical aspects such as the drive train at the price point($1500+) I'm willing to spend will feel great/smooth compared to my current position. In terms of the future, I've been getting into bikepacking, and really wanna do it when I'm not in college. I would definitely be able to go more miles given the geometry and mounts on a road/gravel bike. My current bike only has 1 bottle mount and I've been using duct tape/velcro 2 extra Gatorade/water bottles to the frame.

But the difference between the Comp and Carbon is $400 which can definitely be used to buy accessories I plan on getting, such as frame bags, handlebar bags, GPS computer, waterbottle mounts, shoes, etc. Would I gain any performance benefit from getting a carbon frame? Given in mind I'm using this bike primarily for casual bike trips going 30-100 mile trips usually and possibly for bikepacking in the future?
Old 09-08-20, 06:23 PM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum. Carbon is a little lighter and mutes road vibration a little better, but these are subtle differences that you might only notice if you rode aluminum and carbon back to back. Save your money while in college and put the $ difference towards accessories.

My gravel bike is aluminum as well, and I have a Specialized aluminum road bike (Allez Sprint). Specialized does aluminum really well.
Old 09-08-20, 08:35 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I have a carbon frame Diverge. I'm at a different stage of life than you are--older, and I have a pretty good job. My thought is that if you want a carbon frame, $400 isn't that much (considering you're already going to spend more than $2000 on a bike). But, as drewtk said, you'd probably be hard-pressed to tell much difference between aluminum and carbon. My thought is, get the carbon frame unless (1) you think that the $400 difference in price really is a lot of money, or (2) you just want a good-riding bike and don't care that much what the frame is made of.

If you got the aluminum frame, would you be riding it and thinking "I wish I had the carbon frame, but it was so much more expensive?" If so, carbon seems the way to go. Get what you want or you won't be happy. But if you got the aluminum frame and thought "this is a nice bike and I'm happy with it," then save the money and go with aluminum. Either will be a nice bike.

Another thought is to look for a used bike, where you might get more bike for your money, but that might mean waiting for an indefinite period of time to find what you want.
Old 09-08-20, 11:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 720 Posts
Ask yourself the purpose of buying a carbon frame. Why is it necessary? What will be gained? Is the extra cost justified? I have owned two carbon framed bikes because they were a want and not a need. Carbon did not enhance the ride experience, did not help me ride faster, and ultimately was a disappointment as there was no magic moment when I realized life was better with carbon. It wasn't.
Save the $400 bucks or donate it or spend it on a few lavish meals, but don't blow it to get carbon, just not worth it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-10-20, 07:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
@Alphonsus: I can add some direct experience, although with a different Specialized bike. I have two flat-bar Sirrus bikes. I've been riding and still ride a Sirrus with an E5 frame/carbon fork since 2010, and now have a newer one -- full carbon (FACT 9) w/Future Shock -- that I've ridden now for two seasons. The two are set up so the fit is near-identical, and I use 32mm Specialized Roubaix Pro tires on both -- same pressures. I ride about 80% paved/20% non-technical gravel/dirt.

For my cycling -- no racing, obviously, or group rides -- there is absolutely no difference in 'performance' that I can perceive. Nor is there any significant difference, at all, in ride quality. The front-end of the carbon bike is 'smoother', but that's entirely down to the FS, in my opinion. If anything, I sometimes think that the rear end of the E5 bike is a little less harsh than that of the carbon one -- but there's nothing in it, in my opinion.

So if I were now making the choice you are making, I'd go with the E5 Diverge and save the $400 for other stuff. I can't see any compelling reason to go with the carbon one. Components are all identical or at about the same level, including the FS. I'd also prefer the Shimano over the SRAM drivetrain. But, that's just me!
Old 09-10-20, 08:19 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
The Comp E5 comes with Shimano GRX, a mix of 600 and 800, whereas the Carbon comes with SRAM Apex. The GRX drivetrain is a big step up over Apex in my opinion.

This would factor more into my decision between the two than the frame material. Carbon frames are nicer, they are lighter and generally ride better, but how much better is definitely up for debate. If all other things were equal, spending an extra $400 to get the carbon frame seems "worth it" to me, but in this case all other things are not equal. I'd get the Comp E5.

For reference, I have an aluminum CX bike with SRAM Force 1x and a carbon CX bike with GRX. There is a noticeable difference in performance between the two frames - the aluminum frame feels stiff and harsh in comparison and I notice subtle changes in tire pressure and rougher terrain a lot more. The carbon frame smooths everything out more. The drivetrains between my bikes are basically a tossup. They both shift flawlessly, but the Force 1x has a little more "snap" to hit and shifts a bit harder, whereas the GRX is quieter and smoother. I prefer the GRX hood shape and shifting mechanics.

Either bike will be a big step up from your current ride, so I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-10-20, 10:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
In agreement with some but not all of the people posting in this thread, I detected no differences between my aluminum bikes and my one carbon bike with respect to comfort or anything else. My steel, aluminum, and carbon bikes all ride pretty much the same.

More specifically, my shorter-wheelbase steel, aluminum, and carbon bikes all ride very similarly; all are faster-handling and a bit more jarring than my bikes with longer wheelbases constructed of any of those materials.

After decades of owning high-end steel bikes, and having been a bit disappointed by the lack of any magic in any carbon bike I've ridden, any bike I buy from now on will almost certainly be aluminum.
Old 09-10-20, 03:52 PM
jt777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon X1 as my commuter and LOVE IT!