Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best hitch carrier for carbon frames

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best hitch carrier for carbon frames

Old 09-14-20, 09:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
You need to find someone that can explain what "anecdotal" means.
Originally Posted by GlennR
1,000,000:1 sounds great unless you're the "1".
Now you need someone to explain “risk assessment”. ​​​​​​​
Old 09-14-20, 09:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybu.../#7f3ccd524e62

Insurance companies estimated that a driver files for an accident claim once every 18 years.
And based on your stat, in that incident each 18 years, there is a 29% chance it's a rear end collision. So basically, a driver should expect to be rear ended once in their lifetime, based on stats.

And then you have to consider how rare it is to carry a bike in/on the car. That accounts for what, like 1% of a cyclists drive time each year?

So out of all the miles of driving in a lifetime, we should expect to be rear ended once. And you are concerned that a bike will be damaged when that happens?

Like i said further up thread, I don't base my life decisions(like whether to put a bike in the car or use a rack) on odds that are so low I most likely won't experience the event.

You aren't doing well here. Stop digging the hole.
In addition to the low odds of being involved in a rear end collision while having a bike on your rack, even if you are, there is a 50% chance it is the front of your car, not the rear, taking the hit.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-14-20, 09:36 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
That looks like the Beverly Hillbilly's!

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Nah, 4 is nothing!

Old 09-14-20, 09:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
In addition to the low odds of being involved in a rear end collision while having a bike on your rack, even if you are, there is a 50% chance it is the front of your car, not the rear, taking the hit.
Ha very true. I thought about bringing this up in thst post, but figured it might complicate things too much. As it is, it seems to have not been understood.
Old 09-14-20, 11:20 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Wife and I used a Kuat NV 2.0 two-bike rack for the first time this past weekend and it worked well.

Bikes mounted easily and securely enough. The rack wasn't cheap but it definitely worked.
Old 09-15-20, 06:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife has a Kuat rack on her car. It is very convenient for hauling bikes - it's not uncommon for us to have 1-2 bikes in her car and another 2 on the rear rack. We put fork mounts inside, and her bikes are small enough that they can go in standing up. My bikes are too tall to go in like that.

I drive a small, two-door coupe. I have to use a roof rack if I want to carry more than one bike. It's fine, but annoying, and things can fly up and hit the bikes. True story - bird crashed into one of my bikes while I drove. The bird died; the bike was not damaged.

If I want to put the bike in my car, I can fold down the rear seat. But as I have long legs, it's a very tight fit to get my road bike in there, unless I remove both wheels. I cannot fit my track bike in the car with a rear wheel on - the BB is too high. Instead, I take the wheels off, put on a chain keeper and wiggle it into the very small back seat. Wheels and gear go in the trunk.
Old 09-15-20, 07:34 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Much more secure than having your bike slide around on the inside. Also with a shoulder injury, it’s a PITA taking your front wheel off every time and getting the bike in and out of the car making sure it is situated just right, and if you are trying to put more than one inside (you mentioned “bikes”) it’s even a bigger PITA, and you will have bikes laying on top of each other. Not a good way to carry them at all, because you will have to pile them in there without any of your derailleurs hitting anything.

Old 09-15-20, 08:29 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think you are far more likely to bang up your bike and mess up the interior of you car doing that than getting rear-ended. Not to mention it is more of a PITA if you need to be folding seats down and throw down blankets.
That's it for me. Putting the bikes inside creates more risk of bike damage as well as damage to the car's interior and potentially exterior from scratches, snags, and stains. The cost of repairing or replacing a bike is a whole lot less than repairing a car in most cases.
Old 09-15-20, 10:32 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I have one of those Thule hitch racks / trailers for 3+1 bikes, works great and fees like a very solid piece of kit, although takes a bit to install and put away and is a bit on the heavy side. Great for long trips and no issues at all with CF frames.

If lifting heavy things is an issue due to injury, maybe one of the smaller models would be easier to handle.
​​​​​​
Old 09-15-20, 10:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I have one of those Thule hitch racks / trailers for 3+1 bikes, works great and fees like a very solid piece of kit, although takes a bit to install and put away and is a bit on the heavy side. Great for long trips and no issues at all with CF frames.

If lifting heavy things is an issue due to injury, maybe one of the smaller models would be easier to handle.
​​​​​​
Or you just put the rack on the car and leave it there. They all swing away easily to provide access to a trunk or hatch, and - contrary to someone's claims - they usually don't obscure taillights.
Old 09-15-20, 10:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

But, they don't always swing away easily. Depends on the car. On my Jeep, the spare hits the hinge of my Kuat Transfer 2. I'm only able to open the rear door about 12" when the rack is on. I can get the helmets through the opening, but it makes it difficult to get the groceries. So, depending on the type of car, it's something to think about.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-15-20, 11:58 AM
Koyote

But, they don't always swing away easily. Depends on the car. On my Jeep, the spare hits the hinge of my Kuat Transfer 2. I'm only able to open the rear door about 12" when the rack is on. I can get the helmets through the opening, but it makes it difficult to get the groceries. So, depending on the type of car, it's something to think about.
Hmm. They must make an extender for such vehicles. Are you using it, and still have the problem?
Old 09-15-20, 12:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Koyote
Hmm. They must make an extender for such vehicles. Are you using it, and still have the problem?
I have the extender - need it to clear the oversize spare because the hitch insert is not long enough without it. Still prevents opening the gate. If it was the typical hatch, I don't think it would interfere.

It's not a big deal or deal killer to me as it's not my only car.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-15-20, 12:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Even BEFORE shoulder replacement, IN CAR = OUT OF WEATHER, NO BIRD POOP and AWAY FROM REAR END IMPACT
Old 09-15-20, 02:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
This was lost in Glenn's firehose of nonsense yesterday, but it's the funniest part of the whole thing.

Where has Glenn seen all of these frames that have been marked up by hitch racks if 99% of his rides start from his house?
I ride to the meeting places, one is 7 miles from my house and another is 10 miles.

Old 09-15-20, 02:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Ask me how i know you're wrong.... I was sitting at a red light.
Was your bike in the car at the time? Who cares by the way insurance would cover the replacement either your home policy or vehicle insurance. You are drowning on this one that's for sure but I admire your tenacity.
Old 09-15-20, 02:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by velopig
Was your bike in the car at the time? Who cares by the way insurance would cover the replacement either your home policy or vehicle insurance. You are drowning on this one that's for sure but I admire your tenacity.
Luckily... no.

But when the insurance agent came to deliver the check I met him in the garage and he saw the bike. He said he was glad it wasn't inside because insurance companies think $2000 is a lot for a bicycle. I reminded him of the email exchange we had when I purchased the bike asking if I needed an additional rider on my home owners and he said no.

And a full payment would not replace the bike since I got a significant discount at the time and Trek "updated" the frame and doesn't offer the same paint. I'm very happy with it.

Do whatever you like, but I do leave a few extra car length when following a vehicle with a rack or anything that partially blocks the tail lights.
Old 09-15-20, 03:29 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Or you just put the rack on the car and leave it there. They all swing away easily to provide access to a trunk or hatch, and - contrary to someone's claims - they usually don't obscure taillights.
Doesn't work on my van and it makes it too long for normal parking spots (it's about as long as is practical already), interferes with the rear view parking camera and the parking sensors which are all very convenient.
​​​​​​
When it's just me going to a race or something I just put the bike in the van on the passanger seats, anyway : it's quicker and that way it's locked up if I need to make a cafe stop (although the Thule does have options for locking the bikes using the clamps, but I prefer not clamping CF frames that hard) .
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 09-15-20 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-15-20, 06:22 PM
Koyote

I have the extender - need it to clear the oversize spare because the hitch insert is not long enough without it. Still prevents opening the gate. If it was the typical hatch, I don't think it would interfere.

It's not a big deal or deal killer to me as it's not my only car.
Originally Posted by Branko D
Doesn't work on my van and it makes it too long for normal parking spots (it's about as long as is practical already), interferes with the rear view parking camera and the parking sensors which are all very convenient.
​​​​​​
When it's just me going to a race or something I just put the bike in the van on the passanger seats, anyway : it's quicker and that way it's locked up if I need to make a cafe stop (although the Thule does have options for locking the bikes using the clamps, but I prefer not clamping CF frames that hard) .
​​​
I know this is an internet forum, and admitting to a mistake is tantamount to admitting to, oh, I dunno - cannibalism. But I'll admit that I didn't think about these issues, so I do now understand why some people wouldn't want to leave their racks on their cars all the time. And since a Jeep is something I have thought about, that is especially good info.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-15-20, 06:37 PM
Mojo31
-------

Banned for life from the inter forums, Koyote.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-15-20, 08:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Wow, look how badly this rack covers up the license plate and tail lights!

Not my car, but I have the same rack and similar Outback.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-15-20, 11:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

THAT IS SO SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would definitely pull a GlennR and cower a few bus lengths behind just to be safe.
Old 09-16-20, 06:39 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Just make the SAG wagon guy mount the bike on HIS roof!

There, problem solved!
Old 09-16-20, 06:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I find it a funny that people ride their bikes outside on the road all the time, exposing them to rain, bugs, dirt, and mud.

Yet as soon as the ride is over, these same bike must be protected from the outside elements on the way home.

Bikes are actually designed to be exposed to the outside elements and dirt. The interior of most cars is not.
Old 09-16-20, 07:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.