Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988 Schwinn Prologue...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1988 Schwinn Prologue...

Old 04-19-13, 10:58 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+10 Another Prologue fan here, I currently have two 1987 Prologues. Big jump from the Tenax Schwinns IMHO. Of course, I have a budding fleet of high end Panasonic built Schwinns right now.

+1 To Robbie's comment below: While I have several late 1980s/early 1990s high end Panasonic built Schwinns, the finish work on the Prologue was the best. Its really well thought out, from the great paint, to the decal work. The decal work on my 1992 Panasonic built series Paramounts (5 and 7) are both after thoughts, and appear to be slapped on there, with no attention to appearance.
Bill would you mind clarifying for me, do you mean the ride quality itself or are we speaking aesthetics when you say there's such a huge difference?
Originally Posted by rccardr
I think the "blindfold ride quality" of Tenax/SL/Prestige/#1 of these late 80's frames is virtually indistinguishable. But the more expensive ones (e.g. Prologue, Peloton, Circuit) do have nice build touches that set them apart aesthetically. Any way you look at it, these are awesome bikes for the price, as good as anything that was produced at the time from the boot country if you ask me. But...prices are rising as people realize that.

Problem with Cannondales is the top tube cable guides, as they'll be brittle even on well-kept ones and they are very,very difficult to find. The one pictured is a very nice example, but I bet up close it will have some paint issues (Imron + 25 years = brittle, flaking, bubbly). It's just inevitable. I'm finishing up builds on my last two SR frames for which I have parts 'n pieces (and guides) but after that I'm down to my last '88 ST, which is mine, mine, mine.

Possible that I could do more in the future, but not in the volume I'm used to building. So now I sift through the market each year to find the sweet spot of high quality/reasonable price frames and bikes and gobble up as many of those as I can find. Five years ago it was Cannondales, two years ago it was late 80's Schwinns, this past year it was Ironman(s). Plus a sprinkling of Italian and Belgian bikes in there, when the prices are within reason. Buy and store, buy and store, build all winter, sell in the spring, ride in the summer.
Thank you Mr Doctor for answering me about blind ride comparison and as always it's great to see insights into how you do things.
Old 04-19-13, 11:05 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
With as many bikes as I have, trading two for one makes a lot of sense. Good move.
Old 04-19-13, 12:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Bill would you mind clarifying for me, do you mean the ride quality itself or are we speaking aesthetics when you say there's such a huge difference?

I think the Dr got it right. Basically, the Prologue represented Panasonic's best for that year (1987), and has the typical top of the line workmanship that the Japanese in general, and Panasonic in particular. Blindfolded? Not sure I could tell the difference.

While I like several of the models that Schwinn made in Greenville, I have not been impressed with the finish work when compared to the best that was coming out of Japan.

+1 Two for one trade is a fine idea.
Old 04-19-13, 03:02 PM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the Dr got it right. Basically, the Prologue represented Panasonic's best for that year (1987), and has the typical top of the line workmanship that the Japanese in general, and Panasonic in particular. Blindfolded? Not sure I could tell the difference.

While I like several of the models that Schwinn made in Greenville, I have not been impressed with the finish work when compared to the best that was coming out of Japan.

+1 Two for one trade is a fine idea.

I agree that the 2 for 1 was a good trade. I loved both the Prelude and Premis dearly but lets be honest...those bikes have the same frame with slightly different components....Suntour 5000 vs Cyclone 7000. Both those groups are very similar. The tenax frames are nice, but the finish is just ok in my opinion. The BB shell was very plain looking, and the suntour groups while they shifted well were a little bit clunky...not nearly as smooth as what you get to see with any shimano group...especially the 6500 Ultegra thats on my prologue at the moment.

I disagree with the blind ride test, because the prologue rides a lot better. Now some of this could be attributed to the Rolf wheelset, but I think the Prestige frame feels better on the road...acceleration is improved over the tenax frames, climbing hills are easier now....it feels like there is less resistance is the best way I can describe it. Also this Prologue frame is nearly free of any chips...it looks almost new it was really a no brainer for me.
Old 04-19-13, 03:05 PM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Standalone
With as many bikes as I have, trading two for one makes a lot of sense. Good move.

The way I was looking at it was this....have 2 middle of the road Schwinns or have one really high end schwinn. I have thinned my herd down considerably now and just have 2 road bikes....my PX-10 and this prologue. Trying to get my bike collection to the point where I only have the top of the line stuff or close to it.
Old 04-19-13, 03:08 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by andyfloyd
I agree that the 2 for 1 was a good trade. I loved both the Prelude and Premis dearly but lets be honest...those bikes have the same frame with slightly different components....Suntour 5000 vs Cyclone 7000. Both those groups are very similar. The tenax frames are nice, but the finish is just ok in my opinion. The BB shell was very plain looking, and the suntour groups while they shifted well were a little bit clunky...not nearly as smooth as what you get to see with any shimano group...especially the 6500 Ultegra thats on my prologue at the moment.

I disagree with the blind ride test, because the prologue rides a lot better. Now some of this could be attributed to the Rolf wheelset, but I think the Prestige frame feels better on the road...acceleration is improved over the tenax frames, climbing hills are easier now....it feels like there is less resistance is the best way I can describe it. Also this Prologue frame is nearly free of any chips...it looks almost new it was really a no brainer for me.
IMO wheelsets and tires make a huge difference, so I'm going to go with identical components in a blind test ride they'd be the same until proven otherwise. I do totally get how most of you prefer a better looking bike though.
Old 04-19-13, 06:10 PM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMO wheelsets and tires make a huge difference, so I'm going to go with identical components in a blind test ride they'd be the same until proven otherwise. I do totally get how most of you prefer a better looking bike though.

I do agree, a wheelset is going to make a big difference. My Prelude had the OEM Weinmann black anodized wheels and they were wearing the same Continental GP 4000's that the Prologue has. The Prelude was fast and it rode very well....but it really doesnt even come close in my opinion to how well this prologue rides. The Prologue just has a different feel about it. The Premis had its OEM Weinmann Aero wheels with lower end Kenda's and it was slightly slower feeling than the Prelude was but nearly identical.

I know you own a Premis and its a super bike, but a Prologue it is not. The Tempo, Premis, and Prelude are going to all feel the same....now the Circuit used higher end Columbus and wore better parts and Im sure it would challenge the ride of the Prologue but I have not had the opportunity to ride a Circuit yet.
Old 04-19-13, 06:42 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The Circuit frame is a memorable ride. As good as any. Still the finish was not the smartest. I'd love to have a Prologue.

J
Old 04-19-13, 07:14 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by andyfloyd
I do agree, a wheelset is going to make a big difference. My Prelude had the OEM Weinmann black anodized wheels and they were wearing the same Continental GP 4000's that the Prologue has. The Prelude was fast and it rode very well....but it really doesnt even come close in my opinion to how well this prologue rides. The Prologue just has a different feel about it. The Premis had its OEM Weinmann Aero wheels with lower end Kenda's and it was slightly slower feeling than the Prelude was but nearly identical.

I know you own a Premis and its a super bike, but a Prologue it is not. The Tempo, Premis, and Prelude are going to all feel the same....now the Circuit used higher end Columbus and wore better parts and Im sure it would challenge the ride of the Prologue but I have not had the opportunity to ride a Circuit yet.
Given my obsession I'm sure the day will come I own one and ride it myself.. your thread just kinda got the burner going a little hotter. Nice bike btw if I didn't say it before.
Old 04-20-13, 09:40 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given my obsession I'm sure the day will come I own one and ride it myself.. your thread just kinda got the burner going a little hotter. Nice bike btw if I didn't say it before.

Youll find one at some point, and then at that point youll fall in love with the bike. I just rode it to work again today because its such a joy to ride. Effortless describes the ride of this bike, and with the turbo saddle I threw on it looks its vintage now.
Old 04-20-13, 09:43 AM
andyfloyd
80's bikes FTW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are my hero. I have way too many road bikes right now in the personal fleet. I figure the Prologue has to stay, ditto the chrome Katakura Silk, and the Paramount Series 7. But then there is the Paramount Series 5, and the Tommasini, and the Colnago, and so on.....

Funny how you search and search and go out of your way to find a rare bike and then another one falls right in your lap a couple weeks later. I wouldnt mind having 2 of these bikes...haha. I was starting to realize I had too many bikes in the fleet. At one point I was thinking to myself " I could collect every schwinn from the 88 lineup ". I had a problem and I figured why not get arguably the nicest schwinn from the 88 catalog and just rock with one love.
Old 05-19-14, 01:43 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving a year+ old thread here but add me (my son actually) to the list of recent owners of this model.

I've been working on getting him more interested in cycling as his mother and I want him to get more active and out of the house and away from passive electronic entertainment. Being he is of shorter stature I needed something 50cm or smaller. I came across a decent looking Prologue on C/L advertised as a 50cm with decent components. So once I told him about getting a bike his interest level began to pique. Then I showed him the ad and that ratcheted up his interest and he would stop bugging me about it lol So when we actually saw it he was drooling over it, he had never ridding a safety frame bike before so after a seatpost adjustment he took off for a wobbly beginning lol

After a few more spins his confidence and ability gained measurably and he was ever more stoked at riding a road bike and all he wanted to do was ride it when we got home, which he did and then some more after dinner. He also wanted to ride this morning when I was leaving for work (5:30!). needless to say I'll have to sort some minor issues (rims need truing, brake pads, clean and lube, headset etc...), but it'll give him something to grow into for the next couple of years I hope and then he can ride my Vitus until he finds a suitable steed.

A shout out to all the helpful and knowledgeable members here!
Old 02-06-16, 02:51 AM
BigSung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rccardr
Nice. Mine's a little shorter (57 CTC) with DA 7700 & down tube shifters, modern wheelset, Luganos, etc. It's available if anyone's interested.

Wow, just gorgeous. Btw, can you let me know which wheelset you have on it?
Old 02-06-16, 06:19 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Zombie post brought back! I have my prologue stopped down and waiting for an OA bath
Old 02-06-16, 07:52 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Those were Shimano R500's, pretty sure, with the decals removed. That was a pretty bike.
Old 02-06-16, 11:14 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Forgot all about this thread.. and now I own a Peloton instead, I blame you Bill and you rccardr. (Thank you)
Old 02-09-16, 10:59 AM
BigSung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Zombie post brought back! I have my prologue stopped down and waiting for an OA bath
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is "OA bath"?
Old 02-09-16, 11:10 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSung
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is "OA bath"?
"Oxalic Acid" Bath

Welcome to the Forums
Old 02-09-16, 11:27 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Prologues are exceptionally nice frameset's, I had 1 awhile bike and if it were my size and in better condition I would have kept it. Tange Prestige is top notch tubing, I think one could easily argue it's just as a good a tube as Reynolds 531P/SL, Columbus SL/X and Super Vitus 980.
Vintage Tange Prestige was a better tubeset than some of those, because it was heat-treated so it could be milled with thinner walls. Reynolds 753 is a closer equivalent.

I have a late-80s Schwinn made of Tange Prestige --- but it's MTB tubing ('88 Project KOM-10)
Old 09-25-20, 08:34 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Was just searching for specs on this bike before buying a new bottom bracket and ran across my own post from 7 years ago. I finally got it powder coated, but did not stick with the factory look. Went with a deep candy apple red.

Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 09-25-20, 10:05 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Blindfolded? Not sure I could tell the difference.
The thinner walls and greater hardness of the Prestige tubes will make a distinctively different sound when you crash... more of a "ping", vs the "clang" you'd get on the Tenax bikes.

--Shannon
Old 09-25-20, 11:12 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Was just searching for specs on this bike before buying a new bottom bracket and ran across my own post from 7 years ago. I finally got it powder coated, but did not stick with the factory look. Went with a deep candy apple red.

Love the color! I have a frameset that I'm looking to powder coat in a rich red metallic. I have Prismatic Powder's Illusion Cherry that will get me the deep red metallic with a 'wet paint' look. What powder did you go with to get that red???
Old 01-02-21, 12:55 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Love the color! I have a frameset that I'm looking to powder coat in a rich red metallic. I have Prismatic Powder's Illusion Cherry that will get me the deep red metallic with a 'wet paint' look. What powder did you go with to get that red???
The place I got it done at calls it "Tiger Candy Red" and the metallic coat under it is "Tiger Candy Sparkle" No idea of what brand of coatings they use, though.
Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 01-02-21, 12:59 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Finished my rebuild/ upgrade. Drivetrain is mostly Veloce 9 speed with a Chorus Crankset. Centaur brakes, Record headset. Don't know what group or year the front derailleur is, but it fit the tubing, so that's what it got.
Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 01-02-21, 01:04 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Finished my rebuild/ upgrade. Drivetrain is mostly Veloce 9 speed with a Chorus Crankset. Centaur brakes, Record headset. Don't know what group or year the front derailleur is, but it fit the tubing, so that's what it got.
Freaking #nailedit. Gorgeous bike! I may only be a one bike man at the moment (and with a lovely original blue metallic paint job to boot), but I still have my eye on a red like that for a "tired paint" frame at some point. I'll have to rustle up a groupset as well--no spare set exists at present! Thank you for sharing!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.