Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Handlebars: Reise & Muller Supercharger 2

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 02:24 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

I am a bit of a fan of Jones H-Bar handlebars and have a set on my Salsa Mukluk, but Jones bars only come in 31.8mm bar diameter, and the Supercharger is 25.4 mm. Anyway, I was interested to know if any Supercharger owners had swapped out the stock bars for something else, and if yes, what and how has this worked for you?

TIA.
Old 05-15-24, 09:02 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
I have a couple of Jones H Bars, their standard and 2.5 riser. Keep in mind, these bars will somewhat shorten your reach, so you might want to consider a slightly longer stem length as well…
Likes For roadfix:
Old 05-15-24, 12:27 PM
matchy99

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use Nitto Wavie Bars. They have the same sweep as the Jones Bars and the stem clamp area is 25.4 mm.

Benefit of the Nitto bars are it's lighter, made in Japan and the aluminum is heat treated for added strength. Bar specs are 660mm width with zero rise.

Bars can be purchased here: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/271...to+wavie#attr=
Likes For matchy99:
Old 05-15-24, 02:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
Yes I did and with the stock set up, NO! The stem they use at least for the Nyon requires a wiiiiiide clamp bar which is very uncommon. I ended up with a new fork (planned for anyway regardless of this issue) and that gave me the ability to run my Koga Denham bars which were 25.4 (and still are for mine but they now have a 31.8 size) with a nice Nitto girls Keirin stem which looks a treat.

Unfortunately underneath the stem is nothing they have cut that steerer tube short so you really cannot do much without maybe an adjustable stem and all your cables and wires being loose. I don't mind as I have the set up I want but it doesn't look as clean and sexy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-24, 05:42 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 470 Posts
I switched out the OEM handlebar on my Ride1Up 500 series to a H-bar from AliEx.

Why not just change the stem that have 31.8 clamp so you can use the H-bar? ?

https://www.bikeforums.net/22944971-post1020.html

Old 05-15-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by cat0020
I switched out the OEM handlebar on my Ride1Up 500 series to a H-bar from AliEx.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22944971-post1020.html

]
\
Because the steerer tube is super short as the stem they use makes up for the lack of steerer tube.
Old 05-15-24, 09:01 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Just to add to vegan biker reply, this is an image of the Nyon display/stem mount on SuperCharger 2. I would assume, given all the plastic, that the stem is a fixed length and short as suggested. Given the build specification, it may be possible to swap it out for a 31.8mm if necessary. In fact, it may already be a 31.8mm. I had assumed a 25.4mm bar based on a comment from the LBS, but the build specs list both 25.4 and 38 mm. bars. I pick up the bike tomorrow, so I will confirm then which one it is. Fingers crossed for a 31.8mm stem
Humpert ergotec Ergo XXL, 31,8 mm; Humpert ergotec Trekking, 31,8 mm, Alu*; Satori R&M Custom Komfort, 25,4 mm, Alu*; Satori R&M Custom, 25,4mm, Alu*

Last edited by Aushiker; 05-15-24 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 09:04 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes I did and with the stock set up, NO! The stem they use at least for the Nyon requires a wiiiiiide clamp bar which is very uncommon. I ended up with a new fork (planned for anyway regardless of this issue) and that gave me the ability to run my Koga Denham bars which were 25.4 (and still are for mine but they now have a 31.8 size) with a nice Nitto girls Keirin stem which looks a treat..
Thanks. I hadn't factored in the clamp width. I wonder if their "comfort' bar is an Ergotec bar? Any idea?

Also what fork did you go with?
Old 05-15-24, 09:05 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by matchy99
I use Nitto Wavie Bars. They have the same sweep as the Jones Bars and the stem clamp area is 25.4 mm.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will take a look.
Old 05-16-24, 06:27 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by Aushiker
Just to add to vegan biker reply, this is an image of the Nyon display/stem mount on SuperCharger 2. I would assume, given all the plastic, that the stem is a fixed length and short as suggested. Given the build specification, it may be possible to swap it out for a 31.8mm if necessary. In fact, it may already be a 31.8mm. I had assumed a 25.4mm bar based on a comment from the LBS, but the build specs list both 25.4 and 38 mm. bars. I pick up the bike tomorrow, so I will confirm then which one it is. Fingers crossed for a 31.8mm stem

Looks like 31.8mm clamp to me in the picture.
If the steer tube is too short, that can be solved with a steer tube extender:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804167959631.html

H-bar I bought was $60 on AliEx

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805385002004.html

Also have a different H bar in aluminum or carbon in different widths:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805804769674.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805693591464.html

Last edited by cat0020; 05-16-24 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-16-24, 07:17 AM
roadfix
hello

Just by looking at the bulge at the mid section of the handlebar it is 31.8
Old 05-16-24, 07:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks. I hadn't factored in the clamp width. I wonder if their "comfort' bar is an Ergotec bar? Any idea?

Also what fork did you go with?
Yeah that was my initial problem I was going to install it before my fork came in because I knew the clamp diameters were the same but the actual width is much wider than a standard bar.

I went with a Fox Factory 36 E-Bike Optimized fork in 140mm which has a close enough A2C so it worked perfectly and seems to work quite nicely. It does not have a lockout since it is not an XC fork but honestly I don't mind too much though there are occasions where I wouldn't mind having a lockout but those are few and far between.

I believe the comfort kit bars are going to be a different size probably 31.8 as they are NOT compatible with the Nyon or Kiox display and I doubt they are going to re-design the stem for the Nyon with Smart System already out and being sold for at least a year+ now.

I would also make sure you get the proper saddle, the seat diaper needs to go, it doesn't help you or your sit bones and is just another layer of goo you need to compress before you get support from your saddle and that layer of goo can slide as freely as it needs to as it cannot be well attached to anything. It also looks like someone angled your saddle down so you are having to fight to stay on your seat diaper on your saddle putting more pressure on your hands and strain on the arms holding yourself up. I personally didn't think I would love the stock saddle as it was a bit too padded than I normally like but the saddle I generally love was out of stock for a while so I went with it and adjusted it for my needs and it is quite comfortable and I did swap it to a Ergon saddle to try that and I also really love that one. A good saddle should support your sit bones and not be so squishy that you end up creating pressure points which create pain.

Generally what I find is people have saddles that are angled incorrectly not set up fore and aft properly and their seat height is not correct either so they get pain and instead of position fixing they go and add padding or find saddles that can fit the whole family in a search for something that won't exist with the saddle improperly adjusted for them.

Also when mentioning someone it is veganbikes the other person is not me and not active.

roadfix and cat0020 ,a single picture with no measurements has given y'all the clairvoyance to determine clamp size? That is awesome if it were correct but unfortunately as an owner of one and also being able to look at the specs online I know it is a 25.4 bar.
Old 05-16-24, 08:28 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

roadfix and cat0020 ,a single picture with no measurements has given y'all the clairvoyance to determine clamp size? That is awesome if it were correct but unfortunately as an owner of one and also being able to look at the specs online I know it is a 25.4 bar.
Actually, I can determine the size of handlebar diameter from the picture provided, it is a 31.8 bar.
Maybe if you provide a picture of your bike, that would show a different handlebar diameter.
Old 05-16-24, 04:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Actually, I can determine the size of handlebar diameter from the picture provided, it is a 31.8 bar.
Maybe if you provide a picture of your bike, that would show a different handlebar diameter.
I am curious how you can accurately determine a handlebar size from a single picture with ZERO measurements. I get you could guess but in this case you are 6.4mm off.

The clamp size is 25.4 it is this bar "Satori R&M Custom, 25,4mm, Alu*". I worked at a Riese and Müller dealership for 5 years and own the same bike and sold quite a few of that model and others with the same stem. My personal ride would actually show the same handlebar diameter but a different bar and stem which I mentioned earlier. My bike didn't stay stock for long. It is running the original Koga Denham Bar which again is 25.4

The actual handlebar from that bike was given to a friend on a bike I built her and it is certainly 25.4 it was measured and the stem was definitely a 25.4 stem but that was also one from the parts bin not the R+M stem but a larger bar wouldn't fit on it I can assure you of that.
Old 05-17-24, 07:57 AM
roadfix
hello

At this day and age why would an E-bike manufacturer design a 25.4 stem when most handlebars out there on the market have been 31.8 and even 35mm, for many years…? Doesn’t make sense.
Take a caliper and measure, simple.
Old 05-17-24, 09:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by roadfix
At this day and age why would an E-bike manufacturer design a 25.4 stem when most handlebars out there on the market have been 31.8 and even 35mm, for many years…? Doesn’t make sense.
Take a caliper and measure, simple.
Because in the end it is a lower profile and since the stem is custom and the clamping width is wider than most bars the bar size doesn't really matter the stem won't work for other bars. Keep in mind that stem is desgined for the Nyon display which is Bosch's largest display so to keep it looking good and the angles right the smaller diameter bar makes sense. It may not be a decision that you or I might make if we were given the design capabilities for that bike but with everything that stem does in hiding cables and mounting display and lights as well as the bar the smaller diameter makes the most sense. Plus in the end the actual used bar is going to be 22.2 for all the mounting of shifters and grips and whatever else so the actual clamping diameter doesn't matter so greatly in this situation.

Again I have taken a caliper and measured and I worked at an R-M dealer as well as owning that same bike so I am quite familiar with it where others here are not (and that is not an attack on anyone or a statement of me being better it is just factual information relevant to the discussion)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-17-24, 07:01 PM
Aushiker

I rode my new bike home yesterday. The bar is 24.5mm ...

Likes For Aushiker:
Old 05-18-24, 07:44 AM
Aushiker

I went with a Fox Factory 36 E-Bike Optimized fork in 140mm which has a close enough A2C so it worked perfectly and seems to work quite nicely. It does not have a lockout since it is not an XC fork but honestly I don't mind too much though there are occasions where I wouldn't mind having a lockout but those are few and far between.
My bike which I now have, has a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 100mm 15QRx110 Axle. I believe that is a Fox 34 or similar fork?

I believe the comfort kit bars are going to be a different size probably 31.8 as they are NOT compatible with the Nyon or Kiox display and I doubt they are going to re-design the stem for the Nyon with Smart System already out and being sold for at least a year+ now.
According to Sparque the local bike shop they can be ordered in as a 25.4 mm bar. That said I did so one and the sweep is less than I would like.

I would also make sure you get the proper saddle, the seat diaper needs to go,
I am a fan of Selle Anatomical saddles and have one ready to be fitted. I am not sure what you mean by seat diaper?

Oh, the bar is 25.4 mm as suspected.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 05-18-24, 09:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

My bike which I now have, has a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 100mm 15QRx110 Axle. I believe that is a Fox 34 or similar fork?

According to Sparque the local bike shop they can be ordered in as a 25.4 mm bar. That said I did so one and the sweep is less than I would like.

I am a fan of Selle Anatomical saddles and have one ready to be fitted. I am not sure what you mean by seat diaper?

Oh, the bar is 25.4 mm as suspected.
Yes the Marzocchi forks are basically heavier versions of the Fox stuff that one probably closest to a 34. I got mine pre-Marzocchi so it was an SR fork and it is a fine fork but this was my dream bike so it had to be a Kashima coated fork. Plus it had to be a different fork to mount the bars I wanted otherwise I was stuck with using jenky steerer tube extenders.

There must be some reason why the comfort bars aren't available for the Nyon Display but maybe it is just in the U.S. or something odd? Who knows?

The seat diaper are those silly padded covers that people put onto sometimes a perfectly good saddle usually filled with gel or a super soft foam. I see now that the picture was not your picture so you are all good.

People did not want to accept reality, it happens but it is weird when they try to fight the facts. It is not like I was some how using the calipers wrong it is kind of hard to do I guess one could have preloaded it with 6.4mm so when you turn it on it zeroed there so it actually shows at 25.4 but that is silly and nonsensical and also the actual measurement on the caliper would give it away.
Old 05-18-24, 09:54 PM
Aushiker

The seat diaper are those silly padded covers that people put onto sometimes a perfectly good saddle usually filled with gel or a super soft foam. I see now that the picture was not your picture so you are all good..
Thanks for the clarification. As it stands, the Crane Creek Thudbuster got swapped out for a Thompson Masterpiece Setback seat post this morning, and I fitted the Selle Anatomica saddle I had ready. I'll see how this works. If I decide that the Thudbuster is the better option, it can easily go back on. The saddle however stays
Old 05-19-24, 08:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks for the clarification. As it stands, the Crane Creek Thudbuster got swapped out for a Thompson Masterpiece Setback seat post this morning, and I fitted the Selle Anatomica saddle I had ready. I'll see how this works. If I decide that the Thudbuster is the better option, it can easily go back on. The saddle however stays
Go with the Kinekt it is way better than the Thudbuster which is a good post. I do love Thomson they make most a bunch of the seat posts I use but the Kinekt is excellent!
Old 05-23-24, 06:30 AM
Aushiker

Go with the Kinekt it is way better than the Thudbuster which is a good post. I do love Thomson they make most a bunch of the seat posts I use but the Kinekt is excellent!
Whilst that would be nice, at this point in time I cannot justify the expense.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 05-23-24, 09:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Whilst that would be nice, at this point in time I cannot justify the expense.
Your rear end and back will justify it for you, trust me : )