Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cold Protection for Eyes ...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 08:39 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I am having a terrible time riding in the cold and wind, which cause my eyes to water constantly. Can anyone recommend a pair of Goggles that would fit over my glasses, and help to keep the cold wind off my eyes?
Old 12-11-13, 08:58 AM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go try on goggles. No one can tell you what's going to fit over your specific glasses.
Old 12-11-13, 08:59 AM
Transmogrifier

Bikes: 2011 Seven Cycles Transmogrifier, 2014 Turner Sultan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Smith Monashee OTG goggles:

https://www.smithoptics.com/products/...SHEE+OTG/view/

Amazon sells 'em cheap and clear lenses are an option. However, they don't come with a soft cloth storage bag.
Old 12-11-13, 09:01 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a few times at very low temp. the lowest being a 27.4 kms commute at -27° celcius in last february and I never had the need to cover my eyes. I leave very litle space between my hat and balaclava so my eyes are barely visible and that's enough for me. I'm also afraid that goggles will become foggy.
Old 12-11-13, 09:13 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest ski goggles for starters. If they fog up, just open the vents on top of the frames. These should help you out the most. Also, what I use is regular clear safety glasses for the winter months since I'm in the dark both ways.
Old 12-11-13, 09:17 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I had the same problem, but got some cheapy Sunglasses off of Amazon with changeable lenses. I just change out to the clear ones for the night, even though it doesn't get THAT cold here in the panhandle...

T
Old 12-11-13, 09:30 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
I am having a terrible time riding in the cold and wind, which cause my eyes to water constantly. Can anyone recommend a pair of Goggles that would fit over my glasses, and help to keep the cold wind off my eyes?
I use safety glasses that I got from home depot... something like $3.00...
Old 12-11-13, 09:33 AM
e0richt

Originally Posted by dramiscram
I rode a few times at very low temp. the lowest being a 27.4 kms commute at -27° celcius in last february and I never had the need to cover my eyes. I leave very litle space between my hat and balaclava so my eyes are barely visible and that's enough for me. I'm also afraid that goggles will become foggy.
problem with that setup is: if you have glasses they will fog up... I have a balaclava and use the safety glasses because they don't hold air in they can cool quickly thereby eliminating the fog and you can always use no fog spray on them (while I might be more reticent using that on my seeing glasses...
Old 12-11-13, 11:36 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by e0richt
The "safety glasses" part is big. Gravel thrown by cars and trucks calls for the protection. I use shooting glasses.
Old 12-11-13, 12:09 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Clear safety glasses, not that it ever gets THAT cold here, but my eyes will water on chilly rides...I wear them for night rides too, so much road debris will end up around my face but not in my eyes.
Old 12-11-13, 06:57 PM
jsdavis

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
You wear those over prescription glasses?
Old 12-11-13, 08:01 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out Big Five and see what they have ....
Old 12-11-13, 09:16 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Don't know if you want to go this extreme but over the glasses snowmobile goggles
like these will solve the problem

https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Sports-S.../dp/B0041PEEDO
Old 12-11-13, 10:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
The 3M chemical splash/impact safety goggles I bought at Lowes fit over my prescription glasses ; cost $2.99. Even has vents.
Old 12-12-13, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him

I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide, plastic industrial goggles that I suspend from my cycling cap using Velcro around the nosepiece. The goggles sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered. The earpieces then provide a rigid mount for my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror. The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.

[Some manipulation of the face covering is necessary. For example I lower the mask when at rest or riding uphill. After a few minutes cycling, usually I don't need a full face cover.] These goggles have made winter cycling entirely possible because all other attempts to avoid dangerous fogging have been nowhere as successful…

I have also often suggested that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.

Addendum:
This morning (12/14/13) I did my 14 mile commute at 11° F with no fogging problems. After about one mile I was comfortable with lowering my face mask below my lower lip. When going fast on windswept downhill runs of about a few hundred yards, I raised my face mask to below my nose. The warm, moist exhaled air kept my exposed nose and cheeks warm, and the onrushing air dissipated the moisture before it could fog up the goggles. With a slightly forced exhalation, I could even warm my eyebrows, with no fogging.

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging. The windscreen of the goggles is so effective in keeping my eyes warm that my eyelids actually perspired because my central core body was so warm, and my eyes never got cold, even on those fast windswept downhill runs.

Sometimes brief fogging does occur, literally with each breath but is then immediately swept away. One has to be careful though, that condensation does not linger at particularly cold temperatures less than about 15°, or it can quickly turn to frost and will not go away unless scraped off. This happened on a ride at about 0° at about mile 11 as shown below. Nonetheless it only occurred on the lateral half of the right-hand lens, and I still had enough forward vision, and left-hand peripheral vision so I could use my rearview mirror, and I felt comfortable riding the last 3 miles.

Finally, last Monday I rode in a sleety, wintry mix, and wore a billed baseball cap under my helmet. My prescription eyeglasses stayed dry and clear, and my vision was good with occasional swipes of the goggles with a gloved finger.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front view with face mask.jpg (99.8 KB, 158 views)
Side view with face mask.jpg (98.8 KB, 154 views)
Frosted glasses front.jpg (75.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-10-19 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 12-12-13, 07:48 AM
e0richt

yup! I had some safety goggles before but I found the safety glasses to be superior in fit with my
balaclava and helmet (with rearview mirror)

oh and in honor of the previous post, I have ridden to about 17* f... but I don't like riding in snow conditions.

Last edited by e0richt; 12-12-13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-13-13, 02:40 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i bought some prescription wind goggles in www.zennioptical.com and rode 30F and 42F yesterday and I think that they really helped cut down on the wind on my face. Eyes felt dry but did not water like crazy.

highly recommend.
Old 12-13-13, 06:36 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
i bought some prescription wind goggles in www.zennioptical.com and rode 30F and 42F yesterday and I think that they really helped cut down on the wind on my face. Eyes felt dry but did not water like crazy.

highly recommend.
How much did the Prescription Goggles cost? I've been considering that option, but really can't afford it right now.
Old 12-13-13, 07:36 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
You made me go back and look at my order I put the cheapest coating on the lenses so the grand total was only $30 for prescription glasses. That link is the pair I bought. My mirror still clips to the side too. (was nervous about that). I do have the say when I stopped for a long traffic light they fogged up pretty well but once I got moving again they clear quickly enough. they had some others with a foam all the way around the eye which looked good for really cold but I want to be able to wear these in the summer as well. I tend to ride to work with clear glasses. I am riding away from the sunrise
Old 12-15-13, 08:22 PM
OrionXavier

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought Scott illuminator goggles, through Amazon Prime it was $30. https://amzn.com/B007WEPXVI The illuminator lenses are great and actually help me see more detail at night (when there are street lights around or using my bike light). Also removed the glare of snow during daytime. I wear those over a "Chaos -CTR Howler Multi Tasker Pro Windproof Balaclava" which I also got on Amazon. https://amzn.com/B002ZG7RGM That thing is amazing and has kept my face warm even under -20F wind chill.

I went with goggles because I wanted to cover the space in the balaclava, so that the freezing, burning cold air is not hitting my face. Sunglasses or safety glasses won't help when you're facing a very strong wind and racing downhill against it providing a -30F or lower wind chill. Winter biking for me is all about comfort. I want to feel like I'm in a space suit.