Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction L8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction L8

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 10:06 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,754 Times in 2,766 Posts
Kiss your allergies goodbye? In this climate? Who was drinking their bathwater?
Old 05-25-16, 10:08 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LAJ
Who was drinking their bathwater?
I'm allergic to that.
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
Did SoloistAssassin ever reappear?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
He eventually popped back in, was cool and relaxed for a few hours and then, at the first sign of adversity, compared the mods to Nazis and was promptly banned, IIRC.
Well he wasn't happy with the whimpering image he left the first time he departed, so he came back solely to try to leave a badass image that he had always sought to make around here anyway. Either way, he didn't change the idiot image at all.
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
Believe me, I understand your thought process. The problem is that the salary you claimed you are currently at is deceptive at best. In the work world these days most prospective companies do not call previous employers for references. However, a prospective company will contact past employers to verify employment and salary and that's about it. There may be a bit of a discussion about what your job duties were/are. There will not be a discussion of how well you performed your tasks, your relationship with co-workers, your relationship with outside job related contacts, your ability to show up to work on time, or how many times you came back from lunch drunk. Those discussions open you a whole spaghetti bowl of potential litigation.

The discussion would go something like this:

Good afternoon Mr. Transistor, this is Mr. rpenmanparker and I am the HR director at Specialized. I'm calling to verify employment of Mr. topslop1.

Good afternoon Mr. rpenmparker, how may I help you.

Mr. topslop1 is applying for a sales position here at Cannondale. His resume indicates that he started at Specialized in May 2012 and is still currently employed there. Is that correct?

Yes Mr. rpenmanparker, that is correct.

During the interview, Mr. topslop1 indicated that his salary is $58k, is that about right?

No Mr. rpenmanparker, that's about 10% too high.

Okay Mr. Transistor, thank you for your time, have a great day.

Thank you Mr. rpenmanparker, you have a great day as well.

Mr. BillyD, this is Mr. repenmanparker from HR. I'm calling about that candidate for the sales position you have open. Remember Mr. topslop1?

Yes...

I just called Specialized and they verified that his employment dates are correct, but, they indicated that the salary he told us he was making is about 10% too high.

Okay, scratch that one off the list.
Unless things have changed or I'm just talking out of my ass, I don't think that employers are allowed to comment on anything other than confirming employment. I'm sure that it occasionally happens, 'specially with smaller employers, but it's supposed to be verboten (since it's colorful word day in Addiction).
Old 05-25-16, 10:11 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So now I'm looking at 100+ bucks for new tires and tubes on the Crockett just so I can do a 100K route that costs 45 dollars to attend.

I think I might do one more gravel ride on my current tires and really push the limits on the PSI. I want to do the event and I really don't like the way the tires ride, but I don't want to spend another chunk of change for a set of tires that will not see a whole lot of use throughout the year.
Guys, you're supposed to read this and tell me to spend money anyways. I've got an itchy trigger finger and some really nice tires picked out on sale with free 2-day shipping.
Old 05-25-16, 10:12 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Unless things have changed or I'm just talking out of my ass, I don't think that employers are allowed to comment on anything other than confirming employment. I'm sure that it occasionally happens, 'specially with smaller employers, but it's supposed to be verboten (since it's colorful word day in Addiction).
You may very well be correct. The engineering community is relatively tight and everyone pretty much knows everyone else, or at least knows the names.
Old 05-25-16, 10:12 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, you're supposed to read this and tell me to spend money anyways. I've got an itchy trigger finger and some really nice tires picked out on sale with free 2-day shipping.
I thought all of us cyclists spend too much money without the need for encouragement or permission?
Old 05-25-16, 10:13 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
Didn't think that their offer would have been so low - I was thinking a swing from $50-60 and then my push of a slightly inflated 58 would've tailored a slightly better initial response on their end.

I did hear 'you'll eclipse 58/yr here' from the folk on the other side of the table, but I don't believe much from anyone.. I know that someone there as an insider (who has been there for 3-4 years) is currently @ $85k and on the initial $40k/yr salary.

I'm in a stupid position where I have til June to re-sign on my lease here for another year, which I refuse to do. Working at my current place of employment for another year in my opinion would be a mistake.

If I can get this thing to cut even at $52-60k and I have reduced spending for housing that is a net gain towards student loan repayment, although it isn't a 'step forward' from a career point.

Thinking my best course of action is try to push, take the 'break even or slightly more after commission' salary, use home-base as unsigned/uncommitted housing, and continue to work on project management jobs in an actual target area that I'd like (Texas).

This skills vs. job market bit just kinda sucks right now I think.. I'm still too early career, bah humbug.
I would be very weary of commission environments where people are making 1x the base pay off the commissions. Just a guess, but probably those people are cut throat towards coworkers and accounts get stolen, etc... You might just be fresh meat walking into a shark tank. They give a low base pay as a way of limiting their risk if you turn out to be chum rather than a shark.

Last edited by jtaylor996; 05-25-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 10:14 AM
Doug28450

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Spend the money, get the tyres. They won't be on sale next week.
Old 05-25-16, 10:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I don't get the meltdown thing. If you got fired, would you go set your desk on fire and throw your computer out the window to "stick it to the man"?
First you must realize that many people come to the interwebz to create an image, to be something they are not in the real world. It boosts their self esteem in the real world.

In the words of Lewis Black - "Sad, but ****ing true."
Old 05-25-16, 10:17 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
First you must realize that many people come to the interwebz to create an image, to be something they are not in the real world. It boosts their self esteem in the real world.

In the words of Lewis Black - "Sad, but ****ing true."
That's true. You can all rest assured that I am equally sarcastic in my day to day existence. My wife used to think it was endearing ;-(
Old 05-25-16, 10:18 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

That's true. You can all rest assured that I am equally sarcastic in my day to day existence. My wife used to think it was endearing ;-(
Oh do I ever know that tale.
Old 05-25-16, 10:19 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Spend the money, get the tyres. They won't be on sale next week.
The weird thing to me is why are tubes so dang expensive? If I went to Dallas, I could get my cost+10 hookup, but the gas money pretty much negates any cost savings, not to mention the time to drive out there.
Old 05-25-16, 10:20 AM
WhyFi

Retail therapy - I can dig it.

Yeah, you should really buy that/those _______! That's a good deal that you don't want to miss out on and you'll definitely get your money out of it/them.
Old 05-25-16, 10:23 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
You may very well be correct. The engineering community is relatively tight and everyone pretty much knows everyone else, or at least knows the names.
So, legally, every HR manager tells every GM, Plant Manager, and Engineering Manager that they are not able to give references, positive or negative. To comply with this, a code has developed by which we can give references to other GMs, Plant Managers, and Engineering Managers. I would share it with you folks, but if you don't already know it, you are most likely not a GM, Plant Manager, or Engineering Manager.
Old 05-25-16, 10:23 AM
Doug28450

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The CAAD 10 developed that annoying clicking again last night. Mrs. Doug28450 and Clown 2 went for a ride. During the ride ride it started again, so, Mrs. Doug28450 dropped the bike off at the bike doctor this morning.
Old 05-25-16, 10:24 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
What's the reasoning / incentive here to not inflate actual salary, if even slightly?

I'm thinking poker, cards, bluffing, no translation to course of action here?
I don't think I've said this to anyone before and maybe I'm out of line saying it now, seeing as how I'm not someone who rides a road bike, but I don't think you fit in here very well. For one thing, you don't seem like a very nice person. I'm not saying everyone has to be but from what I've seen over the several years I've been here, the majority of the Addictionites are. And what the hell, man? You lie to a possible employer about something they can fairly easily check and if not about you personally then about people with your education and experience. You encourage the apparently easily-led Robert along the garden path that gets this thread shut down for the first time in the history of ever. I'm sure there will be other examples down the line but that's enough to be going forward with. I will try to ignore your posts as much as possible but, since this is probably a "me" issue rather than a "you" issue, eventually I may just bail and head off to the women's forum or the over 50s where I belong.
Old 05-25-16, 10:25 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
You've been going for sarcasm? Boy, did I misread that.
Old 05-25-16, 10:32 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by RollCNY
I see what you did there.
Old 05-25-16, 10:34 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

I say get the tires. Unless they were seriously broke, I've never heard anyone say "Damn. I wish I hadn't bought those tires/that sweater/that lipstick/those pedals". I have, however heard plenty of complaining the opposite way especially if the item was on sale. Also, and don't ever tell LoP that I said this, as long as you don't let them get destroyed by heat or cats or time, you can't really have too many "nice tires". As a matter of fact, I may be looking around for some nice fat tires for the Trek.
Old 05-25-16, 10:34 AM
WhyFi

Old 05-25-16, 10:35 AM
WhyFi

So, legally, every HR manager tells every GM, Plant Manager, and Engineering Manager that they are not able to give references, positive or negative. To comply with this, a code has developed by which we can give references to other GMs, Plant Managers, and Engineering Managers. I would share it with you folks, but if you don't already know it, you are most likely not a GM, Plant Manager, or Engineering Manager.
Sounds about right.
Old 05-25-16, 10:36 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

^ ^ You've had cats destroy a tire?? That's an aggressive kitty! Closest my cat has come was peeing on a GP4000 I left on the floor unmounted for some reason.
Old 05-25-16, 10:37 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Ramona_W
I say get the tires. Unless they were seriously broke, I've never heard anyone say "Damn. I wish I hadn't bought those tires/that sweater/that lipstick/those pedals". I have, however heard plenty of complaining the opposite way especially if the item was on sale. Also, and don't ever tell LoP that I said this, as long as you don't let them get destroyed by heat or cats or time, you can't really have too many "nice tires". As a matter of fact, I may be looking around for some nice fat tires for the Trek.
You are of course correct. I bit the bullet. The tires I have now just feel way too sketchy on the gravel here and I already have them down to minimum pressure.
Old 05-25-16, 10:40 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

You are of course correct. I bit the bullet. The tires I have now just feel way too sketchy on the gravel here and I already have them down to minimum pressure.
Excellent. And remember: not a word to you know who.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.