Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

what helped my cycling.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

what helped my cycling.

Old 04-24-17, 07:23 PM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
what helped my cycling.

I just want to share what worked to improve my cycling - hoping to hear others also.

I've been doing front squats with a Zercher Harness and it's improved my leg strength tremendously - my climbs have been so much stronger ! I believe the front squat targets the exact muscles (quads) used for cycling - even more than the normal squats (hamstrings/butt). A mid week session of approx. 5-8 sets of the Zercher Harness would reap tremendous cycling strength for me later. I recently went back to a climb where i knew a spot where i would always feel my legs were made up of soft pasta but ever since i've front squated I hardly felt the climb!!!!

And instead of a sport drink i would now drink/sip a protein shake on a ride- it has prevented me from cramping. My theory is that the protein shake would both hydrate and fuel my muscles. I've found hydration with water is not enough to keep the cramps away - a good sport drink helps - but a protein shake is the ultimate cyclist drink.

Both these techniques has definitely taken me to another level of cycling fitness/strength.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FSH-cropped.jpg (96.2 KB, 468 views)

Last edited by Machoman121; 04-24-17 at 07:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-24-17, 07:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Climbing stairs improved my cycling.

That and losing weight.

We moved to very hilly Tasmania and I hit my highest weight ever (just within the overweight category of my BMI range) all at the same time. I struggled to cycle because I couldn't climb the hills.

So in 2015, I joined MFP and started losing weight. At the same time I started climbing stairs at work.

First time up the 5 flights to my floor, and I probably looked like I needed medical attention. But I kept at it and eventually was doing 25 flights a day. My office moved into a taller building, and I gradually worked my way up to 40 flights a day.

By then, I had lost the weight and improved my strength ... and the amount of cycling I was doing was increasing, so I had to ease back on the stair climbing. But I'll likely start doing more again in May as we're heading into winter.
Old 04-26-17, 06:03 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Weight loss definitely helped my cycling. Started at nearly 300lbs, back in 2008. Inactivity from medical issues and surgeries had made me lazy, and obese. Losing the extra person I was carrying around became a goal. I adopted a vegetarian nutrition program, ride daily and became active in my everyday habits, as Machka and Machoman both said in their posts.

Now I am maintaining my weight in the range of 175-180lbs, I can tell a tremendous difference in what I can accomplish. it feels like my cycling is back to the 70s when I was very serious about commuting and racing bikes, while in the Marines and at university. Cycling saved my life.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-26-17, 07:09 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
...Cycling saved my life.

Bill
I love hearing that, NEVER gets old!
Old 04-26-17, 07:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
^^^, Roger That Dann!
Old 04-26-17, 12:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Interesting idea on the protein shake. From memory I was thinking protein was much slower to metabolize during anaerobic exercises and could also cause intestinal distress, thus the emphasis on electrolyte replacements while exercising. Maybe your rides are more of the medium length variety and in lower Heart Rate zones which enable better results??? But if it's working for you that the heck.........
Old 04-26-17, 01:06 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Interesting idea on the protein shake. From memory I was thinking protein was much slower to metabolize during anaerobic exercises and could also cause intestinal distress, thus the emphasis on electrolyte replacements while exercising. Maybe your rides are more of the medium length variety and in lower Heart Rate zones which enable better results??? But if it's working for you that the heck.........
+1

Protein shakes or high protein replacement products during exercise is not what the body needs. Lots of available research on this and a simple example would be what pros consume DURING rides. Leave the protein for AFTER the exercise when the body NEEDS AND IS ABLE TO ABSORB the stuff.
Old 04-26-17, 01:50 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very intersting experience Machoman, I shall try to implement it into my riding. For cramps I know additional magnesium in the diet has helped many. Your really have to choose foods carfully to get this micro nutrient, as very few contains enough to make a difference.

There are lots of research on energy drinks, protein shakes and they point in every which direction. Regarding marathons, long distance running and cycling, those who actually could manage to eat something (oat meal soup, and regular food on the go or smoothie style), had the best result in some tests. I'm not in this league though, I take a break, eat and drink soemthing if I'm on my bike all day, but I have gotten better at drinking water regularly along the way.
Old 04-28-17, 03:02 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Before the protein drink - i've had the sport drink (Endura brand) and even added salt and squeezed some lemon and it worked better than just water.

I've read that something sourish will somehow push the cramps away....and it worked - i remembered starting to cramp and one swosh of the lemon tasting drink pushed the cramps away.

So far 3 rides with the protein drink and no cramping.

Last edited by Machoman121; 04-28-17 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-28-17, 04:52 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121
It sounds like your fitness is improving which is logical if you're relatively new to riding or are in the process of ramping your training time. It does make it difficult to isolate which factor is responsible for the benefit.

Protein is a poor fuel for biking as it takes too long to metabolize. My guess is the cramping will subside as you gain fitness and you'll be able to ride with just water for 2-3 hrs.
Old 04-28-17, 05:17 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This may be a little out of the norm but what has improved my cycling is riding my bikes.
Old 04-28-17, 06:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
This may be a little out of the norm but what has improved my cycling is riding my bikes.
I think you're going to have to show us some statistical evidence before we'll believe any crazy theory like that!!!
Old 04-28-17, 08:00 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Commuting almost every day.

Old 04-28-17, 09:35 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Commuting almost every day.
^^^ This definately for me. But still need to rope in my diet. You'll feel more muscle on the legs and also improvement on lower back and butt. Also some improvement on arms and neck. But almost no improvement on belly or love handles unless you're just losing weight and/or crosstraining.
Old 04-28-17, 02:25 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What helped me...gettin back on the bike more, especially after semi retiring!
Old 04-28-17, 09:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
^^..... Also some improvement on arms and neck. But almost no improvement on belly or love handles unless you're just losing weight and/or crosstraining.
I am no expert in nutrition, but I long ago heard or read that "fat burns in the fire of carbohydrates and oxygen." In other words, during aerobic levels of exercise. Apparently the body takes some amount of time to realize extended exercise periods are in the offing, and converts from a carb-only muscle fuel to a fat/carb combo fuel. Endurance athletes start burning fat almost immediately, whilst we who are less fit may take 30 minutes or more for our bodies to make that conversion. I think I saw this on a PBS show, maybe NOVA, a long while back. I know that for me, longer rides at a touring pace are more effective at waistline maintenance than shorter harder faster rides, which strengthens muscles.
Old 04-29-17, 06:29 AM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be very critical when it comes to energy drinks and protein powders, chose one carefully. There have been large tests showing the athletes would be better off with a glass of fresh milk and a banana. The results were unexpected, because these supplements are put together very scienficically, yet with out actually living up to their own claims.
Old 04-29-17, 06:49 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I think you're going to have to show us some statistical evidence before we'll believe any crazy theory like that!!!

What a coincidence, the same thing happened to me. A sample group of two, out of a gazillion, proves the theory!
Old 04-29-17, 07:58 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I am no expert in nutrition, but I long ago heard or read that "fat burns in the fire of carbohydrates and oxygen." In other words, during aerobic levels of exercise. Apparently the body takes some amount of time to realize extended exercise periods are in the offing, and converts from a carb-only muscle fuel to a fat/carb combo fuel. Endurance athletes start burning fat almost immediately, whilst we who are less fit may take 30 minutes or more for our bodies to make that conversion. I think I saw this on a PBS show, maybe NOVA, a long while back. I know that for me, longer rides at a touring pace are more effective at waistline maintenance than shorter harder faster rides, which strengthens muscles.
Good info and makes sense to me. At least its in support of the longer rides at least once a week (to try and "build" some endurance). I usually can't get out for long rides (3hrs+) since the weekends are usually for family. But I can try and cyclecommute from home more often since the weather is better. That would give me a solid 1.5hrs each way or 3hrs split into two. So I try to do that up to three times a week.
Old 04-29-17, 10:56 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Climbing stairs improved my cycling.

That and losing weight.
Biking 20 or so miles/day helped my stairclimbing!...

We live in a three story townhouse with no bathroom in the middle (LR/DR/kitchen) floor. Climbing up/down or down/up to go to the bathroom after an evening tea was a chore. Now I don't even notice as I bound up and down the stairs
Old 04-29-17, 09:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Before the protein drink - i've had the sport drink (Endura brand) and even added salt and squeezed some lemon and it worked better than just water.

I've read that something sourish will somehow push the cramps away....and it worked - i remembered starting to cramp and one swosh of the lemon tasting drink pushed the cramps away.

Try Hotshot for cramps. Tastes very spicy and goes down with a kick. Not cheap but I know guys who suffer from cramps and they say it works really well.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-17, 09:49 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I just want to share what worked to improve my cycling - hoping to hear others also.

I've been doing front squats with a Zercher Harness and it's improved my leg strength tremendously - my climbs have been so much stronger ! I believe the front squat targets the exact muscles (quads) used for cycling - even more than the normal squats (hamstrings/butt). A mid week session of approx. 5-8 sets of the Zercher Harness would reap tremendous cycling strength for me later. I recently went back to a climb where i knew a spot where i would always feel my legs were made up of soft pasta but ever since i've front squated I hardly felt the climb!!!!

And instead of a sport drink i would now drink/sip a protein shake on a ride- it has prevented me from cramping. My theory is that the protein shake would both hydrate and fuel my muscles. I've found hydration with water is not enough to keep the cramps away - a good sport drink helps - but a protein shake is the ultimate cyclist drink.

Both these techniques has definitely taken me to another level of cycling fitness/strength.
Try these too.

You can use the Zercher instead of the barbell.

Old 04-30-17, 02:17 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Extreme One legged lunges - wow!

Mileage wise rode the furthest i've ever gone - 80KM. A new record for me - albeit it was slight downhill going in and pretty much uphill coming back - no major hills - and towards the end i even sprinted!!!! I did run out of the protein shake 2/3 of the way and used water. Personally i've never been stronger nor fitter - i've cycled for many years. And i did do some sets of the zercher/front squats yesterday ( in preparation for todays ride). Something is happening to me......and i like it.
Old 04-30-17, 02:25 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Extreme One legged lunges - wow!

Mileage wise rode the furthest i've ever gone - 80KM. A new record for me - albeit it was slight downhill going in and pretty much uphill coming back - no major hills - and towards the end i even sprinted!!!! I did run out of the protein shake 2/3 of the way and used water. Personally i've never been stronger nor fitter - i've cycled for many years. And i did do some sets of the zercher/front squats yesterday ( in preparation for todays ride). Something is happening to me......and i like it.

I've squatted before - but the front squat via the Zercher harness seemed to target the exact muscles used for cycling much better - it's strengthened my legs tremendously.
Old 04-30-17, 06:24 AM
LiquorLad

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's redundant to recommend doing 1 particular body excercise to improve cycling, when a work out routine that targets ALL body muscles should be incorporated. You'd be a lot stronger cycler than someone who just does back/ hack squats.

Or are you going for an unporportioned hunchback body look...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.