Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Offbrand cycling apparel on Amazon

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-10-18, 03:39 PM
roadcurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is with the offbrand cycling apparel that is sold on Amazon: Sponeed, Przewalski, Baleef, Spotti etc

Are they just random Asian manufacturers that produce white label gear?

Last edited by roadcurious; 06-10-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 06:01 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
You'd just have to try some. I have some Baleaf or Baleef as you mentioned, riding shorts. The shorts seem to be well made, they look great, fit well and are comfortable...for about 30 miles. After that you begin to realize the importance of the quality of the chamois pad. The pad in these seem to just be spongy padding and hold sweat. After about 30 miles I start to feel a bit of discomfort and after 40 miles there is some real chafing happening. If you're able to go on to 50 plus miles plan on a serious saddle sore. But for short rides and just tooling around town or on the MUP then they are great for the money.

I have numerous cheap-o Asian brands such as arm warmers, sweat bands, and some jerseys I really like. I wear cheap jerseys and I've found some I like on Amazon. Just be careful with the sizing and plan on ordering about two sizes larger than you think you need.
Old 06-10-18, 06:10 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a beautiful all Campy equipped Sponeed road bike. Handmade in Italy by Sponeed himself back when.. ok I made that whole thing up.
Old 06-10-18, 06:27 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It's hit and miss. I have a few that work great, and a few that don't...uh, I guess that's what 'hit and miss' means.
Old 06-10-18, 06:42 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
You'd just have to try some. I have some Baleaf or Baleef as you mentioned, riding shorts. The shorts seem to be well made, they look great, fit well and are comfortable...for about 30 miles. After that you begin to realize the importance of the quality of the chamois pad. The pad in these seem to just be spongy padding and hold sweat. After about 30 miles I start to feel a bit of discomfort and after 40 miles there is some real chafing happening. If you're able to go on to 50 plus miles plan on a serious saddle sore. But for short rides and just tooling around town or on the MUP then they are great for the money.

I have numerous cheap-o Asian brands such as arm warmers, sweat bands, and some jerseys I really like. I wear cheap jerseys and I've found some I like on Amazon. Just be careful with the sizing and plan on ordering about two sizes larger than you think you need.
I've done multiday 70+ gravel in the rain in those cheap foam/gel shorts and so far the 4-5 pair I have lasted years. I'm sure I could be less wet and steamy down there but a little 40% diaper rash cream works wonders . Maybe to personal but even off the bike on my couch doing nothing with good underwear I'm hot there anyway. Catch22 for me, are the shorts padding causing more problems with increased heating and moisture compared to any comfort advantage of having padding?

I know there is better chcling gear but never got around to spending to find out.

Last edited by u235; 06-10-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 06:45 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I've done multiday 70+ gravel in the rain in those cheap foam/gel shorts and so far the 4-5 pair I have lasted years. I'm sure I could be less wet and steamy down there but a little diaper rash cream works wonders . Maybe to personal but even off the bike on my couch doing nothing with good underwear I'm hot there anyway. Catch22 for me, are the shorts thethe padding causing more problems with increased heating and moisture compared to any comfor advantage of having padding?

I know there is better but never got around to spending to find out.
I suppose it entirely depends on how used you are to sweat evaporating. Here in Nebraska in high summer...like we've been having this month (but not "normally until July/August)...it doesn't matter if you're wearing $500USD Assos technical garb or not, the dewpoint is too high for sweat to evaporate at all--and everything becomes a sopping wet rag in short order anyway.
Old 06-10-18, 06:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcurious
What is with the offbrand cycling apparel that is sold on Amazon: Sponeed, Przewalski, Baleef, Spotti etc

i would be shocked if name at and other similar quality and style brands are private label. I just view much of it as lower pricepoint and quality gear.
its good enough for certain situations and there is a need in the market for entry level and short term products.
Old 06-10-18, 06:55 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I suppose it entirely depends on how used you are to sweat evaporating. Here in Nebraska in high summer...like we've been having this month (but not "normally until July/August)...it doesn't matter if you're wearing $500USD Assos technical garb or not, the dewpoint is too high for sweat to evaporate at all--and everything becomes a sopping wet rag in short order anyway.
Same here in VA. My rides long or short.. I get just as wet from sweat as I would if it was a down pour. The is no difference. If I am wearing a shirt with pockets, my phone is in a ziplock even if it's not raining. I've tested decent thin loose non biking shorts and a gel seat pad I had laying around recently. I did stay a little cooler but still saturated but the gel seat cover moved around to much and made things way too awkward.

Last edited by u235; 06-10-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 07:08 PM
roadcurious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting responses. I’ve tried the Sponeed and the Prz bibs. The Prz is actually okay, the Sponeed fits correctly in the legs but are a little looser in the waist. Both have nice gel pads but I’ve never used a really expensive pair so I can’t compare.

For jersey, I ended up ordering a lower end PI jersey because the cheap amazon ones are god awful ugly and I wanted full zip.

Old 06-10-18, 07:12 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Interesting responses. I’ve tried the Sponeed and the Prz bibs. The Prz is actually okay, the Sponeed fits correctly in the legs but are a little looser in the waist. Both have nice gel pads but I’ve never used a really expensive pair so I can’t compare.

For jersey, I ended up ordering a lower end PI jersey because the cheap amazon ones are god awful ugly and I wanted full zip.

FYI on AliExpress there are lots of aero race cut jersies like Pearl/Rapha sell for $20 each that honestly aren't that far behind either in quality. Fabrics aren't as nice nor are the zippers...but $20 per garment versus $150 normal retail is a no brainer. I got some PI ones when Amazon had a random 70% off sale on them (bought a few to be sure of sizing)--couldn't get any more of them and have gone to Ali since.
Old 06-10-18, 07:12 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I have some Baleaf or Baleef as you mentioned, riding shorts. The shorts seem to be well made, they look great, fit well and are comfortable...for about 30 miles.
I have their stuff pretty much exclusively, and am up to about 65 mile rides in it (on something far worse than any bike saddle). Not that I intended to pick only that, and in fact ordered some others at one point but didn't find they worked at all. Should probably look at something more premium in the way of shorts, but these work and I know what size to get.

Also ride in their breathable muscle tees (but 2 sizes up). Their zip jersey (actual size) which I use as a very light jacket is decent but has the zipper on the side traditional for women's wear even in the men's. Remembering I need to send back the running shirt as it is also true to size while I ordered a size up.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-10-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 12:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I wear cheap jerseys and I've found some I like on Amazon. Just be careful with the sizing and plan on ordering about two sizes larger than you think you need.
Yes, the sizing is always screwed up, from what I understand. I think they have very poor quality control with regards to sizing, because if you read the reviews for them, one person will say that they ordered the size they needed and it fit perfectly, and someone else will say they ordered one size up and it was still too small. But always read the reviews with regards to jersey sizing on those Chinese brands to see how many sizes up you'll need to order.
Old 06-11-18, 01:41 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, the sizing is always screwed up, from what I understand. I think they have very poor quality control with regards to sizing, because if you read the reviews for them, one person will say that they ordered the size they needed and it fit perfectly, and someone else will say they ordered one size up and it was still too small. But always read the reviews with regards to jersey sizing on those Chinese brands to see how many sizes up you'll need to order.
Sizing is always a crapshoot to review. Not only do people have different body builds...but people have grossly different ideas of what proper fit is or should be. Most amateurs I meet on fun rides want technical cycling garb like jerseys to fit like burlap bags or t-shirts.

I won a free jersey on a ride, which was a medium. All my mates laughed thinking it was way too small for me as it was a "medium" (I'm 175# and 5'11" but broad shouldered)....well funny funny, it fits like a jersey should--perfectly. ...not like a bath robe or t-shirt. I've found various Chinese cheap jerseys tend to fit close to right-darn close to what Pearl Izumi cuts. Body hugging and relatively short up front (when standing) and not too long in back either. Shove stuff in pockets and the stuff stays up and off your butt (not drooping and bouncing behind your but like truck-nutz), up front you don't get the folded over mess of overlong jeresys when hunched in the drops.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 06-11-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 01:54 PM
roadcurious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Body hugging and relatively short up front (when standing) and not too long in back either.
I'll have to try a few and see, I guess the upside is if it's the wrong fit you send it back within 7 days and amazon usually accepts it, especially for clothes.
Old 06-11-18, 01:56 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Expect to spend $$ getting your size/fit "right", two sizes "up" is a good guess but who knows?
I use shorts and jerseys from A on weekday rides, perfectly functional and comfortable and a 3-4 for 1 value over the high priced spread including donations of "test" kit to suss out my sizes.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 06-11-18, 02:09 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

I'll have to try a few and see, I guess the upside is if it's the wrong fit you send it back within 7 days and amazon usually accepts it, especially for clothes.
Be honest about how heavy-set your are with yourself...is the best advise. In the USA, most folks are so heavy-set that kit-makers had created "race" and "club" cut dichotomy...because some people want aerodynamic body-hugging fitted garb...and others need/want to hide belly paunch and muffin-top.

The more slim you are...the more true-to-size things tend to be with fitted-garb labeled "aero" or "race"...tags sellers tend to tag to get more hits. Between Pearl and Chinese faux-Pearl or faux-Rapha jerseys, the difference is the quality of the zipper and to a small degree the quality of the fabric (also the Pearl tends to be cut a bit longer in the torso in aero/race-cut jerseys)
Old 06-11-18, 02:20 PM
roadcurious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be honest about how heavy-set your are with yourself...is the best advise. In the USA, most folks are so heavy-set that kit-makers had created "race" and "club" cut dichotomy...because some people want aerodynamic body-hugging fitted garb...and others need/want to hide belly paunch and muffin-top.

The more slim you are...the more true-to-size things tend to be with fitted-garb labeled "aero" or "race"...tags sellers tend to tag to get more hits. Between Pearl and Chinese faux-Pearl or faux-Rapha jerseys, the difference is the quality of the zipper and to a small degree the quality of the fabric (also the Pearl tends to be cut a bit longer in the torso in aero/race-cut jerseys)
I would definitely be in the "club" category . I originally tried the Pearl Quest Select XXL but I was swimming in it. They didn't have the XL in the same style so I ordered the ELITE Escape Jersey in XL.
Old 06-11-18, 07:38 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I've had hit and miss too from Amazon Chinese products but mostly hits. Reviews are key. Sites like reviewmeta.com and fakespot.com can be a good help at determining if reviews are legit or not.
Old 06-11-18, 07:43 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I bought a 'Wosawe' jersey and bib from IdealLife on Amazon. I've put around 5,000 km on them and they still show no wear.
Old 06-11-18, 09:05 PM
GGDaddy

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've had good luck. I typically read the reviews, order from 4 manufacturers that look the best, return the 3 I like the least, and buy 4 more of the one I liked.

Using that approve I've been very happy with my Spotti jerseys and my Baleaf bibs. I saw the post above warning about Baleaf saddle sores. Of course YMMV but I've used them on 4 hour/55 mile rides and a 3 hour/60 mile challenge ride and they were just fine for both.
Old 06-11-18, 09:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Hit and miss is spot-on. Found an (at the time) $20 jersey from URBAN on Amazon, it's a decent fit and pretty good fabric. It's a keeper. But I've ordered and returned some that fit... terribly. The Prz bibs aren't bad at all. Padding is a bit thick compared to what I'm used to, but they fit true to size.

Amazon's real strength is finding past-year/end-of-season closeouts for CHEAP. I've gotten about half a dozen jerseys from PI, Canari, Castelli, etc, for under $30 each. A few of the Canari were under $20.
Old 06-11-18, 09:47 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's like buying off-brand anything on Amazon.

For example, I had a Prz coupon appear in my newsfeed for Amazon at $7.50 for thermal tights with Chamois and I ordered a L which is what fits me for "on-brand" (Endura, Sugoi, etc). The fit was roomy in the crotch, the material felt cheap and the pad color was a shocking bright green. Did they work? Sure - they were never my first choice in the cold, but they were presentable, relatively warm and didn't fall apart. So when a coupon appeared again for $7.50 tights (not thermal) I ordered an M thinking it would solve the fit problem - but they are far too tight. Again - they're serviceable, but if something else is clean they remain on the bench.

So I've spent $15 on two off-brand tights that would have cost me at least $125 for a name brand. On reflection, I should have just stuck with name brand because every time I wore them I wouldn't feel a pang of regret that I spent perfectly good money on something I don't really like...but in their role back-ups to wear only when others are dirty, they'll stay in the dresser drawer so I've probably lost nothing in the bargain.
Old 06-12-18, 12:21 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Im new to kit so i tried the amazon stuff and it sucks its great for starters but id quickly move up to pearl or some quality brands wich i really dont know much about . i tried to look for a skin suit but they all seem to be warm weather with shirts i dunno
Old 06-14-18, 12:15 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Im new to kit so i tried the amazon stuff and it sucks
No, it doesn't, not necessarily and that's what this thread is about. Yes, some of it does, and some of it is quality stuff. And regardless, with ANY "name brand", you're paying something just for the name. Sorry if you've had a bad experience but don't write off all of it because of that. Try again & when you find something that works, buy several.

As far as the Baleef shorts... I'm glad some of you are getting good results out of them. Maybe it's just my pair but I don't think it is so much a moisture issue as the material the pad is made of. Just starts feeling "rough" after so many miles. Maybe it's just me and maybe it's just that pair. Perhaps I should try another pair because I like the looks and fit and comfort. It just "rubs me wrong" after several dozen miles.

And speaking of fit and reviews. I've started doing something I welcome when reading reviews. That is, I put my size, wt, measurements. A review that says, "I ordered a large and they fit perfectly" means nothing, unless I know how large the reviewer is. "I'm 6"2", 195 pounds, with a 34" inseam and 34" waist. I ordered a large and it fit just right." THAT's helpful. Or, "I'm 160 pounds with a 29" waist and the large fit great" THAT's helpful...I'll know not to order large.
Old 06-14-18, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
this isnt only in the US.
about 33% of aduly Americans are obese. About 25% of adult Europeans(both east and west combined are obese). 27% of adult Australians are obese.

yes, the US is higher. But lets not suggest that club cut is used just stateside.
and club cut doesnt hide much if it's sized properly. Its a style to account for broader shoulders, longer torso, etc. Properly fit, it's still against your body, it just doesnt feel like you are a sausage inside casing.

sincerely,

club cut user

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.