Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling myths you don't believe anymore...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling myths you don't believe anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 09:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, but will this thread stretch?
Old 09-04-18, 09:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Stretching the thread...?
Old 09-04-18, 09:18 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Honestly, how many of us here have "snapped a chain under power"?
I have.
Old 09-04-18, 09:22 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, but will this thread stretch?
Or will it just wear?
Old 09-04-18, 09:31 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TSUNAMIBAY
Yes, me too. People ignoring obvious evidence and simple physics is fascinating...
Hah, indeed, the way you are ignoring obvious evidence and simple physics is fascinating indeed!
Old 09-04-18, 09:32 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#2: you need a pro bike fit
Old 09-04-18, 11:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Sorry disagree on this one, cables do stretch..
"Two kinds of stretch occur in cable based on wire rope: constructional stretch and elastic stretch. This stretch is due to two different causes. ... Elastic Stretch - Elasticstretch is the actual elongation of the wires of a strand or a cable. This is caused by the application of a load up to the yield point of the metal."
Yes,all you say is true. Wire cables do both of those. Construction stretch is the fibers being pulled into a more compact cross-section when a large tension is applied to the cable. The cross-section becomes more compact as the fibers are stretched straighter. But bicycle chains don't behave that way at all. Elastic stretch is just that. Stretch that only exists while the metal is subject to tension. Release the tension and it reverts right back to where it was. (Like a rather strong rubber band.) Nobody measures elastic stretch although it is not difficult. You just need to apply sufficient tension to make for enough stretch to measure and do it with the chain not moving so you can actually measure it. I'm guessing it does add to permanent stretch indirectly. Under high pedaling loads (especially with a small chainring) the chain stretches more elasticly so the most heavily loaded teeth wear more. When the teeth wear, the chain "stretches" to fit - probably by bushing wear. I am also guessing this is a second order effect. In other words so small relative to the big sources of "stretch" that it really doesn't matter.

(Yes, bushing wear adds to permanent "stretch" by creating play inside the rollers. When the play is pulled out, the chain is now longer.)

And a related source of "stretch" - also common in climbing situations - poor chainlines, With a poor chainline, the bushings at the outside of the local bend in the chain (The chain now forms an "S" with bends coming off the cog and into chainring.) Those outside bushing see nearly all the load of the chain and therefore wear much faster. Faster chain "stretch".

Note, when I say "stretch" with the quotation marks, I mean elongation in the chain as a whole due to wear. Ie what you can measure with a tape measure.

Ben
Old 09-05-18, 12:12 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Sorry to derail this thread, but I'd like to address the topic in the OP. All my life I've been told that there's a massive difference between Walmart/low end bikes and shop bikes. I am a bit less inclined to believe that now than I was before I bought a real shop bike. Here's my (long) story:

My first bike was the good ol Walmart classic. Dual suspension. Aluminum. 21 speed. Shimano. Twist shifters. MONGOOSE mountain bike.
it was fine. Seriously. A $130 bike. I enjoyed riding it. It shifted pretty damn well. The suspension was probably for show but I could use it as a trampoline. Eventually I outgrew it and decided I wanted an expensive, luxurious bike. So I got a bikes direct hybrid. $350 my God. Of course it was a size too small. So I got a longer seatpost, stem and bars. That bike worked worse. The brakes (mechanical discs) were trash on the black diamond trails I suddenly thought I could ride. The shifting was better because of the triggers but otherwise fine. Overall, meh.

And then I got myself a $600ish fixie for $300 used. Aluminum frame. Half carbon fork. 40mm deep alloy wheels that weigh 3000g at least.
I was a LOT faster on the road (obviously) and I could put some real pressure on the pedals. This was the best bike ever! Sure the cranks (square taper) clicked and brakes were spongy but it was fast.

And then I got a $1700 road bike. This is probably my least favorite bike of all. I've had a lot of problems with this bike. Ive had a lot of problems ON this bike. I can't say it's necessarily more fun to ride than my Walmart bike. Sure, it's faster. A lot faster. And that lets me hang with other people who have fast bikes. But I can't say that a road bike that costed $200 or so wouldn't be as fun if I upgraded the tires to the ultra thin ultra sticky race tires I have now. Or even much faster...

Something deeply cynical inside me says that my next bike, which will probably cost somewhere between $5000 and $15000 (depending on how crazy I go), will be even less fun than my $1700 bike and will have even more issues. And I'm really not looking forward to it. I want someone to tell me that I'm wrong. And I want to believe it. But from where I'm standing, I can't.
Old 09-05-18, 12:17 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
nitro glycerine as a ped
Old 09-05-18, 01:07 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I would believe the perceived stretch of gear cables is in reality the wire bedding/wearing into the housing or the wire guide under the BB. Except for really poor quality wires I cant imagine the tension on a bicycle gear cable being large enough to permanently stretch the cable.
Old 09-05-18, 01:21 AM
Racing Dan

#1 for me is "keeping your chain oiled will make it last longer". Don't misunderstand me, I still oil my chains frequently, but chains don't wear out, they stretch.
Case in point, I moved to a much hillier part of the state a few years ago and chains that used to last me 3000 miles barely last 1000 before they are stretched beyond what would be acceptable. At least 1/4" over the length of the chain. I only weigh 152lbs...
And don't get me started about those guys that claim they can tell the difference in the ride quality of two nearly identical tires. Sheesh...
I believe ppl have replied to the stretch part of your post. I will just add that you likely need an other oil. Too much "bike specific" crap on the market. Get a thick oil like mono grade sae 40 engine oil, that actually manages to prevent metal to metal contact and I bet you should be able to get more than 1000.
Old 09-05-18, 02:29 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I stopped believing the guys at an LBS who said that my worn chain and cassette was the cause of my poor shifting performance. When actually they installed said chain and cassette 1 month prior.
Old 09-05-18, 02:45 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I stopped believing the guys at an LBS who said that my worn chain and cassette was the cause of my poor shifting performance. When actually they installed said chain and cassette 1 month prior.
Good one. I had a mechanic "diagnose" my old commuter with a 8 speed IGH. All it needed was a fresh chain and sprocket. I was told I needed to replace the whole IGH mechanism at considerable cost. Right! What a scoundrel ... :-)
Old 09-05-18, 04:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
You don't need to replace your helmet after 5 years is a myth I no longer believe.
Old 09-05-18, 04:56 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot

Your chain didn't stretch like a piece of elastic. The rollers and pins wore and that allowed the spacing to increase. It happened faster because the load increases during climbing as well as during higher power efforts.
If the OP is replacing chains after 1000 miles, he's likely clueless on maintenance. I get 3500-4000 miles out of my Ultegra chains (and could probably get another thousand or so more), and I guarantee I put out substantially more power than he does at all times. Higher power output is not the issue.
Old 09-05-18, 05:07 AM
TSUNAMIBAY

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I measured the individual links on both my old chain and the new one. (same brand Ultegra) Using a digital dial caliper the average link length on the old chain is .837" +/- .001"
On the new chain the link lengths averaged .832" +/- .001", which would correspond with the overall length I observed.

We used to have to replace the chains on our overhead hoists every couple of years due to lifting 10-15 ton dies. They would stretch as well, why is it a surprise that a chain would stretch as well?
Old 09-05-18, 05:09 AM
TSUNAMIBAY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I guarantee I put out substantially more power than he does at all times. Higher power output is not the issue.
Curious to know how you are going to guarantee this?
Old 09-05-18, 05:15 AM
rubiksoval

Curious to know how you are going to guarantee this?
I weigh 10 lbs more than you.

And I'm a Cat 1.
Old 09-05-18, 05:54 AM
TSUNAMIBAY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 10 lbs more than you.

And I'm a Cat 1.
Oooooh, scary....
Old 09-05-18, 05:56 AM
rubiksoval

Oooooh, scary....
in a thread full of
Old 09-05-18, 06:00 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm not sure why people are saying chains don't "stretch" when it's pretty obvious to me that they do. Is there some more technically correct term to use such as "elongate" or "expand"?

If we can't even get a consensus on that simple observation, then this thread probably IS a waste of time.
Old 09-05-18, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
in a thread full of
Whatever gave you that idea?
Old 09-05-18, 06:15 AM
rubiksoval

I'm not sure why people are saying chains don't "stretch" when it's pretty obvious to me that they do. Is there some more technically correct term to use such as "elongate" or "expand"?

If we can't even get a consensus on that simple observation, then this thread probably IS a waste of time.
"Wear out."
Old 09-05-18, 06:40 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I measured the individual links on both my old chain and the new one. (same brand Ultegra) Using a digital dial caliper the average link length on the old chain is .837" +/- .001"
On the new chain the link lengths averaged .832" +/- .001", which would correspond with the overall length I observed.

We used to have to replace the chains on our overhead hoists every couple of years due to lifting 10-15 ton dies. They would stretch as well, why is it a surprise that a chain would stretch as well?
Did you measure the distance between the center of the pin holes, or just measure the oal of the plate?

Edit: While I know that chains get longer due to wear, I'm curious if it's also due to links stretching. I've never measured a link plate myself.

Last edited by jasnooks; 09-05-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-05-18, 06:46 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Honestly, how many of us here have "snapped a chain under power"?

Not me. I really don't see how that could even happen, because of all the redundancy built into a bike chain. Both sides of the chain fail at once? Sure, it's possible, but how common?
Track cyclists snaps a chain in this video during the crit IIRC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.