Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tried to help, but sensed no appreciation.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tried to help, but sensed no appreciation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
So someone should give away money because someone else decided to not carry their own spare like an adult? No sorry. He offered help and certainly if the guy had come back and said "look, sorry I don't have money now or I only have a card maybe we can bike up to the local brewery or bar and grab a beer" then I would have given him the patches and maybe rode up to the local watering hole and since I don't really drink beer probably just sat and chatted maybe grabbed a hard cider or a pineapple juice or sparkling water.

Sometimes giving something to someone is all good but usually it will be service rather than goods unless I know the goods are going to be used for more good but bike path racers generally not so much. Plus if he had gone out to a place he might be stranded and had no way of getting out of a puncture or minor bike things then he probably shouldn't be riding out that far. Granted this guy was in the city so that wasn't a worry. But the OP tried to warn him of the glass and tried to help so he did his job.
Old 09-13-18, 09:44 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Shots fired, logorrheic replies to follow.
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
your responses and that pic are cracking me up man

I'm picturing your responses in the fake Connery voice!
Yeah, that one got a real LOL out of me.

​​​​​​​-Kedosto
Old 09-14-18, 05:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I carry a spare 25mm tube to give away. But that's because I have them and don't use that size tire any more. Not sure I would buy a new one to give away, but then again, people that use that size tire seem to have a lot of flats. I also carry glueless patches which I would have no problem giving away. I like to have a patch kit, and if you open the glue it dries up fairly quickly. So that's a $5 loss on a person that ignored the warning about glass. There are limits to my charity.
Old 09-14-18, 07:07 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I wasn't there, and can't see/read the attitude of the flat guy. He could have been angry with himself, and in the moment found it difficult to show appreciation for a fellow cyclist stopping to help. This could have gone a completely different way, had the guy with flats started with - "I'm trying to fix this but I'm doing something wrong, can you give me a hand? I'd appreciate it. I didn't understand what you were saying when I passed you earlier."

Seriously, who wouldn't at least try to help in that situation? Unless of course, the guy with the flats is Alejandro Valverde and the other is Simon Yates and they're racing to win the Vuelta.

Since I'm not going to be racing in the Vuelta, I'd do what I could. And it still might not be rideable, depending on the damage to the tire/tube. But at least we would have tried, and the flat guy would have learned how to be better prepared on his next ride.
Old 09-14-18, 08:01 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So someone should give away money because someone else decided to not carry their own spare like an adult? No sorry. He offered help and certainly if the guy had come back and said "look, sorry I don't have money now or I only have a card maybe we can bike up to the local brewery or bar and grab a beer" then I would have given him the patches and maybe rode up to the local watering hole and since I don't really drink beer probably just sat and chatted maybe grabbed a hard cider or a pineapple juice or sparkling water.

Sometimes giving something to someone is all good but usually it will be service rather than goods unless I know the goods are going to be used for more good but bike path racers generally not so much. Plus if he had gone out to a place he might be stranded and had no way of getting out of a puncture or minor bike things then he probably shouldn't be riding out that far. Granted this guy was in the city so that wasn't a worry. But the OP tried to warn him of the glass and tried to help so he did his job.
I don't help people because I expect something in return. I help because it is the right thing to do.

What someone should have done or decided to do or how they got into a situation isn't important to me. What is important is that a person needs help. We can talk about what they should do after we get the situation cleared up.

This is how human beings are supposed to treat each other.

-Tim-
Old 09-14-18, 08:49 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Guy might be an ass for riding over broken glass, despite attempts to get him to avoid it. Also, might be an idiot for going out on a ride with no emergency kit.

But, I woiuld not leave a fellow cyclist stuck, if I was able to help. On rides, I have provided patches, tubes, pump, Co2......and I have needed these from time to time.

I would have helped the guy.....but also gave him some advice while doing it.
Old 09-14-18, 09:09 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Helping other riders out adds extra inches to your cyclist's "halo". It's worth doing it for that reason alone.

Fix the tire, and tell the poor SOB to "Go, and sin no more."

Add a cyclist "blessing" as they ride away, for extra style points.
Old 09-14-18, 10:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Based on this thread, most posters are much nicer to people in RL than they are to one another online.

Personally i find platitudes to rarely suit practice. Usually the situation calls for something other than a generalized absolute .... and that is where it gets tricky. For instance ... how many of you would have stayed to patch both this guys's tubes and pumped them up if you had to get home, grab your luggage, and get on a flight with your family? How many of you would have missed a train or bus and gotten to work an hour late yo help this guy? How many of you would have missed a child's performance in a school play?

For that matter ... how many of you people give away all your money---I mean ALL you r money---to charities, to help those in need? Yeah, I know .... there are so many comforts ... air conditioning, heat, nice cars, expensive bikes, expensive back-up bikes, expensive mountain bikes ... plus saving for the future, and ..... well when it comes down to it, it is great to preach generosity and charity but ALL of us have limits to what, when, and how we will give stuff away. You are preaching the virtue of giving ... but All of you would say"No." is some situations. So maybe instead of mouthing platitudes and pretending sainthood, how about we are generous To The OP and admit all of us would, in one situation or another, also ride away. How about a does of honesty and reality? or just compassion for the OP?

It is hard to understand why such decent, caring, giving people are so ready to tell others how wrong they are for having different value systems.
Old 09-14-18, 10:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I probably wouldn't have offered the kit. It would have left me without one, but I would have offered to help if the guy was a bit more pleasant. Yeah, you help because it's the right thing to do, blah, blah, blah, but if the guys is being a jerk about it, then no. And I wouldn't feel one iota of guilt for leaving him high and dry.
Old 09-14-18, 10:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Based on this thread, most posters are much nicer to people in RL than they are to one another online.

Personally i find platitudes to rarely suit practice. Usually the situation calls for something other than a generalized absolute .... and that is where it gets tricky. For instance ... how many of you would have stayed to patch both this guys's tubes and pumped them up if you had to get home, grab your luggage, and get on a flight with your family? How many of you would have missed a train or bus and gotten to work an hour late yo help this guy? How many of you would have missed a child's performance in a school play?

For that matter ... how many of you people give away all your money---I mean ALL you r money---to charities, to help those in need? Yeah, I know .... there are so many comforts ... air conditioning, heat, nice cars, expensive bikes, expensive back-up bikes, expensive mountain bikes ... plus saving for the future, and ..... well when it comes down to it, it is great to preach generosity and charity but ALL of us have limits to what, when, and how we will give stuff away. You are preaching the virtue of giving ... but All of you would say"No." is some situations. So maybe instead of mouthing platitudes and pretending sainthood, how about we are generous To The OP and admit all of us would, in one situation or another, also ride away. How about a does of honesty and reality? or just compassion for the OP?

It is hard to understand why such decent, caring, giving people are so ready to tell others how wrong they are for having different value systems.
That's pretty much what I think too:
Don't expect other people to act and do everything perfectly.
Don't judge other people based on their actions while under stress.
Old 09-14-18, 10:52 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
You gave it a good effort...

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
In retrospect, what I should have done is position my bike across the path while I was cleaning up. This would have inhibited riders (in this case only one) from rolling across the glass and eliminated the subsequent drama.

Also, for those who were assuming that I left this guy to fend for himself way out in the boonies, I've attached the Google map link below to the location. We were pretty much in the city with plenty of resources around. Even a Lowes within a half mile. Solite Park to the south has a fairly well equipped bike repair station.

Google map link
In retrospect you've posted this thread to get input and rethink the possibilities of what your "best effort" may have been. Kudos for that too. It's also helped me to reconfigure what I carry around (some but not enough), so thanks to all for the input on this. We all learn (if we live through it!).
Old 09-14-18, 10:59 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
2 sides to every story.........

We have only heard 1 side.
Old 09-14-18, 11:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Seems to me that the OP is handling this discussion quite well, and without the over-the-top histrionics you're posting.

I've been on both ends of the getting and giving help end of biking situations, and I've never encountered something like the OP is describing--someone who accepts help, but is kind of a jerk about it. So, yes, it does pose an interesting moral question--when do you stop going out of your way for something of a nasty person? If I'm honest with myself, I probably wouldn't have gone beyond the use of the pump before I quit on him, and I think I probably wouldn't even have mentioned the patch kit I carry if I had already felt put off by the guy. Offering to sell him the kit seems an odd choice, but maybe just because I've never seen anyone do it--truth be told, offering to sell it is probably a little more generous than just pretending I don't have one.

Anyway, the OP is a grown up and knows that posting an anecdote about his own behavior is an invitation for people to offer their opinion on that behavior, and I find your "I'm going to be super judgmental about people posting things that are judgmental" routine quite hilarious, but frankly, you're wearing out the bit by over-use.

BTW, I don't stop for any reason but that I'd feel bad leaving someone stranded, but a lot of these stops have actually turned out to be kind of fun. It's usually a rather pleasant conversation while we sort out the problem, and my repair skills are so meager, I'm always a little happy when I actually did something for someone they couldn't do.
Old 09-14-18, 11:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Actually, you should Walk on the bike path and wait for someone to give you their bike.
Walk???? That takes effort!
Old 09-14-18, 11:05 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
As I read it, the guy with the flats had just used a co2 trying to inflate his punctured/slashed tire without patching it,

so had clearly demonstrated his incompetence. Odds that he could successfully use a patch kit are low.

Some people/situations are not very help-able.

Funny story from last weekend:

Group ride, pass several riders stopped roadside going the other way. Two guys are sitting, patching their flats. (Did not offer the ritual 'need anything?' BTW)

I comment that there could be a biathlon that included stops to change tubes during the race. The gal behind me says "that's not a real thing"

& I say well it could be. She says that she doesn't even know how to fix a flat, & that "If I get to the point where I'm not good looking enough to have a guy

fix my tire, I'll give up cycling."

Last edited by woodcraft; 09-14-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 11:20 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Personally, my take on this situation is firstly that I never ride anywhere without both a spare tube and a patch kit. Secondly, if I see someone off their bike up ahead, the first thing I do is slow down to see what's going on, and if they need some help them help them. If they're waving their arms at me, I'll plan to stop. They either need help or are trying to warn me about something. Thirdly, if someone was down with two flats, I'd offer them the use of my patch kit and pump, or offer to fix the tire for them. I don't know what the dude expected to do by putting a second cartridge of CO2 into his tire if the first one didn't work. Don't know why he'd attempt to reinflate his tires anyway knowing that if your tire (or both of them) suddenly go flat, it's because there's now a hole in the tube and they need patched or replaced. So that, combined with the fact that the guy didn't even have a patch kit or spare tube, leads me to think that he wouldn't have known what to do with one if he did have them. Given his attitude, I can't feel too sorry for the guy.
Old 09-14-18, 11:23 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think we've all encountered a situation where someone else needed our help and we chose not to do everything we possibly could.

I was noodling away from a group ride where I had given another guy my tube because his spare was a dud (and pumped up his tire because my pump was better) when I saw someone walking their bike. Pulled over. Turned out he had flatted. Don't think he had a spare tube or inflation. I would have given him my tube but all I had left was my unopened patch kit. I was hesitant to offer this since the glue dries up pretty quick. I asked him if he had a ride home and he said his wife was on her way. We were in a very populous area too, so I didn't feel too bad.

The nicest thing to do would have been to give him my patch kit. If I were to do that, I would have no problem patching his tube as well - I'm in no hurry. If we were out in the middle of nowhere I certainly would have done this. But we weren't.

What I've learned from this experience and this thread is that I should buy some glueless patches to give out or even use. I'm assuming everyone here recommends park?
Old 09-14-18, 11:23 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
She says that she doesn't even know how to fix a flat, & that "If I get to the point where I'm not good looking enough to have a guy
fix my tire, I'll give up cycling."
Women have it easy, don't they?
Old 09-14-18, 11:34 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

Not that easy.

Women put a LOT of time, effort, & money into looking good.
Old 09-14-18, 12:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Not that easy.

Women put a LOT of time, effort, & money into looking good.
wasted effort .... pretty much show up and be female, and guys will get all weird .... not always in a bad way, i guess.
Old 09-14-18, 12:22 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by smashndash
What I've learned from this experience and this thread is that I should buy some glueless patches to give out or even use. I'm assuming everyone here recommends park?
Park makes pretty much the best everything, but i have used Scabz successfully too.
Old 09-14-18, 12:54 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I reckon this was a good learning opportunity for the jackwipe that flatted.
Old 09-14-18, 12:58 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
wasted effort .... pretty much show up and be female, and guys will get all weird .... not always in a bad way, i guess.
That settles it. From now on, all I'm packin' is a wig and lipstick.

-Kedosto
Old 09-14-18, 01:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
​​​​​​​your responses and that pic are cracking me up man

I'm picturing your responses in the fake Connery voice!
What "that pic"? Where is the funny image?
Old 09-14-18, 01:30 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
First, next time there is something on the road/path, just point to it. Second, if you intend to help someone, help them. Otherwise, keep riding. You didn't.
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Both riders' actions look strange to me.
Now that makes no sense. You only heard from one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.