Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Rides and Events > Mid-Atlantic Rides and Events
Reload this Page >

Salisbury MD Seagull Century this weekend

Notices
Mid-Atlantic Rides and Events Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Old 10-02-18, 04:37 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

Anyone else doing the flat, flat, flat Seagull Century this weekend?

I've done it 5 or 6 times over the past 30 years, but not in the last 9 or 10 years. My wife's friend and her husband have never done it and wanted to try it, so we are all going. Neither of the wives has put in a lot of biking mileage this year, they are runners - they will do the metric century. The other husband does triathlons, has a time trail bike and bikes to work most days - he and I will do the full century. I told him to do his own pace and not worry if I became a small dot in his rear view mirror...

Chance of showers/drizzle starting to show up in the forecast for Saturday - the last time I did this ride I think the first 50 miles or so were in fog/drizzle. Other than having to activate the finger-power windshield wipers for my glasses, actually nicer weather for a long ride than constant blazing sun.
Old 10-02-18, 03:55 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I am wondering when it's going to feel like Fall? Anybody? I have had it with summer!!!
Old 10-04-18, 10:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
85 and humid in Philly today.
Old 10-05-18, 05:28 AM
jpescatore

Forecast for Saturday in Salisbury is high 74 - 76F, mostly cloudy, only 10% chance of precip.

Cold front came through here (midway between DC and Baltimore) last night with a few gully washer storms, high supposed to be only 70 today - but back in the 80s next week. I think this is just the new normal.
Old 10-07-18, 10:58 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Big cool down after Thursday. It will be below normal. Nearly ten degrees below normal.
Old 10-08-18, 04:00 AM
jpescatore

A great time was had by all The last time we did this was 11 years ago. We had dinner the night before at the phenomenal Cactus Taverna restaurant and later met up with Shana and Perry at our kinda dumpy Sleep Inn motel.

Saturday morning Carole and Shana did the 63 mile metric century while Perry and I did the 103 mile Century ride. We hit a bit of drizzle and light rain but all in all just perfect conditions for a long ride. Perry is a triathlete and was riding his new aero bike - he kicked my butt. First time I've finished a century in under 6 hours.

The route has changed a bit since we last did the ride, mostly for the better. Very nice to have our own lanes and even our own bridge coming into the 62 mile rest stop at Assateague National Park - didn't see any ponies this year.Carole and Shana did great for not having put in very many biking miles this year, and we all enjoyed the pie and ice cream at the finish line.

The 103 mile route, the route went counter-clockwise - the 62 mile rest stop is at Assateague beach on the far right.

Perry, John (me), Shana and Carole at the start.
Old 10-08-18, 05:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Anyone else doing the flat, flat, flat Seagull Century this weekend?....

The other husband does triathlons, has a time trail bike and bikes to work most days - he and I will do the full century. I told him to do his own pace and not worry if I became a small dot in his rear view mirror...
Nice ride report. I have cycled in the mid-Atlantic states only once, a self-guided tour of the DelMarVa peninsula, and I would like to explore further, especially on an organized ride. On that trip (by car to the venue) we did stop at Assateague and Ocean City.

You may recall we corresponded recently about your planned trip to Michigan, a well-known cycling haunt for me.

I especially noted the above comment about riding together:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have ridden as a solo rider on a few charity centuries, and a few self-supported ones...A basic advice I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me.

Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible.

Another strategy on charity rides done by myself, is to start early and perhaps be picked up by a group riding at a suitable pace and ask to draft with them. That adds a kick to my pace, but quite often I fall slightly behind at turning a corner, and its amazing how a slight drop behind can be impossible to catch-up, attesting to the value of drafting.

Also, you might catch-up to a slightly slower rider and draft him/her, and they could reciprocate, synergizing both of you. But always, Ride your own pace.”
Old 10-08-18, 05:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I have cycled in the mid-Atlantic states only once, a self-guided tour of the DelMarVa peninsula, and I would like to explore further, especially on an organized ride.
Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE is worth a visit. There are cycling trails inside the park, and the military history and displays, including artillery, are cool. The place used to be a base that was established to protect the bay and river from Nazi invasion. No shots were ever fired in defense, but after Germany surrendered a sub did surrender there. You can still go up to the top of at least one watch tower. You can also ride to Rehoboth virtually all on trails and bike lanes.
Old 10-08-18, 11:31 AM
jpescatore

Jim from Boston: I'm very leery of group riding with people I don't know, especially on large rides like this one (the highest bib number I saw was something like 4300) and especially when the roads are a bit wet. Perry (the triathlete guy I rode with) was much more willing, even though drafting is not allow in tri races - he doesn't do much group riding, either.

There were several wipeouts in the first 40 miles or so, when the roads were the most wet and when the clumping of riders was still pretty high.

Perry was very easy to ride with but he was so skinny and his Kestrel aero bike was so slippery that I told him he was pretty useless for me to draft behind. Conversely, he could ride behind me and hardly had to pedal, but while he'd save some watts, he'd be lowering his average speed!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 10-09-18, 07:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Anyone else doing the flat, flat, flat Seagull Century this weekend?...

The other husband does triathlons, has a time trail bike and bikes to work most days - he and I will do the full century. I told him to do his own pace and not worry if I became a small dot in his rear view mirror...
A great time was had by all
Nice ride report…I especially noted the above comment about riding together
I have ridden as a solo rider on a few charity centuries, and a few self-supported ones...A basic advice I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me.

Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible.

Another strategy on charity rides done by myself, is to start early and perhaps be picked up by a group riding at a suitable pace and ask to draft with them.

That adds a kick to my pace, but quite often I fall slightly behind at turning a corner, and its amazing how a slight drop behind can be impossible to catch-up, attesting to the value of drafting…
Jim from Boston: I'm very leery of group riding with people I don't know, especially on large rides like this one (the highest bib number I saw was something like 4300) and especially when the roads are a bit wet.

Perry (the triathlete guy I rode with) was much more willing, even though drafting is not allow in tri races - he doesn't do much group riding, either.

There were several wipeouts in the first 40 miles or so, when the roads were the most wet and when the clumping of riders was still pretty high.
Thanks for the reply. I ride very few organized rides, and my experience comes from the largest. It has a few hundred riders at most, with staggered starts two hours apart for 100, 50, and 25 mile rides.

Even the century has staggered starts of about five minutes, for groups of about 20 riders. I try to get in line early to go with the first group, as described.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-09-18 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 08:25 AM
Jim from Boston

I have cycled in the mid-Atlantic states only once, a self-guided tour of the DelMarVa peninsula, and I would like to explore further, especially on an organized ride.

On that trip (by car to the venue) we did stop at Assateague and Ocean City…
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE is worth a visit. There are cycling trails inside the park, and the military history and displays, including artillery, are cool.

The place used to be a base that was established to protect the bay and river from Nazi invasion. No shots were ever fired in defense, but after Germany surrendered a sub did surrender there. You can still go up to the top of at least one watch tower.

You can also ride to Rehoboth virtually all on trails and bike lanes.
Thanks for the reply. We have not cycle toured in ages, but previously as well as now, I ride as a (paved) road cyclist, but not a roadie.
… I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.
Our halcyon touring days ended around 1986, and since then work and family life has put a squeeze on cycling, especially touring. I do like urban, suburban and exurban cycling, and even started a thread on the Touring Forum, “
Tell me About Cycling in…”[Your City]
I just finished replying to this post on the Touring Forum "Where to cycle from Chicago" with this comment...

So I’m starting a thread to catalog cycling possibilities in various cities. If there is enough interest…
One favorite ride in Boston is to the peninsula of Nahant jutting into the Atlantic, also with gun emplacements.

FYA, @jpescatore, @indyfabz, and other Bike Forum subscribers,
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bike rides], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-10-18 at 04:52 AM.