Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Embrocation Cream

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Embrocation Cream

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 09:45 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Embrocation Cream

I love embrocation for cold weather riding. Since my commute is about 40-50 minutes each way, I like to put it on my neck, shoulders, lower back, and legs for those cold morning commutes. When it's 50 or colder I typically wear wool cycling legwarmers, too. (and the associated gear, such as layers of wool in various places, depending on temps). And the wonderful smell and ritual of putting it on helps energize me in the morning as I'm stumbling around in the half-darkness, trying not to wake my wife and child so I can slip out before they wake up (don't worry, I'm the afternoon pick-up parent).

I started with Rapha's Summer and then Winter Embrocation. I just love the smell and the formulation of these! But they're expensive (US $30 for a 125mL container), and I really love the heat of the winter embro, so I decided to go with Mad Alchemy's Madness. GOOD LORD this stuff is hot! But in a good way, because I adore that warm feeling when I ride. Using embro helps me not scrunch up my shoulders from the cold. It has a clove-mint smell that is nice--just not as gloriously formulated, scent-wise, as the Rapha.

I feel like using embro, along with yoga and stretching, helps keep me flexible for cycling and for life in general. Are there others who love the burn? I don't even mind when it heats back up in the shower--although I have had colleagues comment on the redness of my neck after I get ready at work, haha.
Old 11-16-18, 11:04 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I know some people use it and like it but it’s not for me. Mostly because it’s too difficult to get off. And the burn is like a hot shower on a sunburn... yikes!

i haven’t checked, but is there a lite version, or something easily removable?

-Kedosto
Old 11-17-18, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
I don't even mind when it heats back up in the shower...
I was introduced to Atom Balm (or something similar) freshman year on my high school cross country team. The coach offered it up to us on the first cold-weather practice day. I still remember that first post-run shower...(Yikes!)

I love that toasty feeling when riding in the cold. I ride year-round down to 10F, and I have found I "loosen-up" on my own after about 10 minutes of riding, but then, I tend to run hot. As far as morning stiffness I replaced my coffee in-take with Yerba Mate a few months ago. It has similar caffeine content, but far less acidity than coffee or tea. It turns out to have anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. At 56, I now have far less leg and back stiffness in the morning than I have for the past few years.

However, it smells like wet grass, whereas the clove-mint fragrance of your embrocation cream sounds delightful.
Old 11-17-18, 03:56 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I was introduced to Atom Balm (or something similar) freshman year on my high school cross country team. The coach offered it up to us on the first cold-weather practice day. I still remember that first post-run shower...(Yikes!)

I love that toasty feeling when riding in the cold. I ride year-round down to 10F, and I have found I "loosen-up" on my own after about 10 minutes of riding, but then, I tend to run hot. As far as morning stiffness I replaced my coffee in-take with Yerba Mate a few months ago. It has similar caffeine content, but far less acidity than coffee or tea. It turns out to have anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. At 56, I now have far less leg and back stiffness in the morning than I have for the past few years.

However, it smells like wet grass, whereas the clove-mint fragrance of your embrocation cream sounds delightful.
Oh man, yerba mate is SO delicious! Good idea--it has so many good things in it. I ought to drink it more often. Amazing stuff! I especially love it with a slice of cake, Argentine style, in the afternoons. A friend of mine who spends a lot of time in Argentina introduced me to it a while back. It's amazing.

And the Rapha embrocation cream is even better than the Mad Alchemy--although MA's formulation is quite nice, with the clove and mint. There's all kinds of good stuff in Rapha's formulation--vanilla, wintergreen, pine resin fragrances. They say it's supposed to recall Mont Ventoux, which I'm sure it does (but I have never been there).
Old 11-19-18, 06:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
I don't really understand embro. Does it really raise the temperature of the skin (or muscle)? Or is it a chemical illusion of a warming sensation?

At prices like that, if I wanted to get into embro I would definitely look for DIY recipes, I bet you can make it for way less than half the retail cost.
Old 11-20-18, 12:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of it before, and now I'm curious. My commute isn't long enough for this, but I also do longer rides. Would it help keep my feet warm on long rides?
Old 11-20-18, 02:27 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Originally Posted by rhm
I don't think I've ever heard of it before, and now I'm curious. My commute isn't long enough for this, but I also do longer rides. Would it help keep my feet warm on long rides?
I guess Cyclocross racers use it to keep their legs warm during races, because legwarmers get soggy.

It might help on feet--but I always recommend wool layers of socks and warm shoes to keep toes warm. That's a body part you want to keep toasty. As far as I can tell, the burning sensation from the cream only helps keep you feeling warmer.

And the previous commenter has a good point about DIY. I imagine after getting all the fragrance components I want, making it would be a little spendy, but it would be a fun project and gift!
Old 11-20-18, 02:29 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I know some people use it and like it but it’s not for me. Mostly because it’s too difficult to get off. And the burn is like a hot shower on a sunburn... yikes!

i haven’t checked, but is there a lite version, or something easily removable?
-Kedosto
They do make mild versions! The Rapha summer embro is gentler, and Mad Alchemy makes several gentle formulations. Some people love the insane burn, others not so much.
Old 11-20-18, 02:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like the Mad Alchemy Russian Tea. Smells like Christmas!
Old 11-20-18, 02:37 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I don't really understand embro. Does it really raise the temperature of the skin (or muscle)? Or is it a chemical illusion of a warming sensation?

At prices like that, if I wanted to get into embro I would definitely look for DIY recipes, I bet you can make it for way less than half the retail cost.
While it is pricey, a 125g jar (4 oz.) usually lasts me at least a year and a half. You could call it a chemical illusion of a warming sensation, but it helps a person feel warmer on rides. Of course, still dressing for the weather is important, but embro makes my early morning commutes a lot more pleasant.

The capsaicin (the active ingredient in chiles) activates sensory neurons in the skin, causing a burning sensation. Because the compound is fat soluble, maybe the best way to remove it is rubbing the areas with vaseline or oil (probably wear gloves for this, and use something disposable, like a paper towel).
Old 11-20-18, 02:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK, that's interesting, but what I'm curious about, if it's only a chemical illusion, could you end up with frostbite because you couldn't tell how cold your skin actually is?
Old 11-20-18, 11:02 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Just wondering...Do any of you use embrocation AND wear knee warmers or tights? Seems to me that in the cold, tights help warm the entire leg and using embrocation under the tights would focus on keeping the knee flexible and protected. When riders apply it to the neck, etc., it's obvious that they coverup with a jersey, jacket or more. Is it different for knees? The descriptions on most of the sites selling embrocation claim that using it makes warmers and tights unnecessary.
Old 11-21-18, 12:28 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I’m racing, embro only. If I’m commuting, knee or leg warmers. Sometimes I wear embro and warmers.
Old 11-21-18, 11:46 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It is a banned dopant in horse racing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6006555/
Capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin are alkaloids with analgesic effects in humans and animals. When used locally, both of them minimalise pain sensation by defunctionalising nerve endings.
I wonder if the body responds to the chemical simulation of heat stimulation as it would to true heat by dilating vessels close to the skin to cool if it would contribute to short term feelings of warmth at the expense of longer term heat retention.

Last edited by noisebeam; 11-21-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 11:48 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by RubeRad
You can try a bottle of Sriracha.
Old 11-21-18, 11:49 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Just don't mix up the embrocation with the butt butter.
Old 11-21-18, 02:08 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t really want to irritate my skin with chili powder before I ride. A layer or two of clothing is enough to keep me warm.
Old 11-21-18, 02:20 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
It is a banned dopant in horse racing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6006555/

I wonder if the body responds to the chemical simulation of heat stimulation as it would to true heat by dilating vessels close to the skin to cool if it would contribute to short term feelings of warmth at the expense of longer term heat retention.
Probably, and man is that an MPU (Minimum publishable unit).
Old 11-21-18, 03:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I have considered using some( mellow Mad Alchemy) because I cannot, cannot have anything touching or rubbing my kneecaps. Pain all to itself when that happens. I have tried everything cover wise and no luck. Now I am thinking about this stuff.

My my question though, I want warmth to that area so my ligaments, tendons don’t freeze up. If this product does not produce this warming effect, what good is it?

Old 11-21-18, 04:30 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I have considered using some( mellow Mad Alchemy) because I cannot, cannot have anything touching or rubbing my kneecaps. Pain all to itself when that happens. I have tried everything cover wise and no luck. Now I am thinking about this stuff.

My my question though, I want warmth to that area so my ligaments, tendons don’t freeze up. If this product does not produce this warming effect, what good is it?

Don’t expect a skin irritant to warm up tendons and ligaments. It’s not going to happen.
Old 11-21-18, 04:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

Don’t expect a skin irritant to warm up tendons and ligaments. It’s not going to happen.
I checked the website and can't find what's ACTUALLY in the product. All I get is the standard essential oils and vegan/veg/eco/plastic **** with no information.

Thus, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it, some with those untested Shower Pass jackets (no specs = no buy, over here).
Old 11-23-18, 07:33 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Capsaicin should be ingested in curries, rubs and jerk sauces for best effect, and should be kept away from sensitive areas.
Old 11-23-18, 10:05 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thus, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it, some with those untested Shower Pass jackets (no specs = no buy, over here).[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic but since you brought it up...

You really need to check your facts. Go to the Showers Pass site, choose waterproof jackets from the drop down 'products' menu and then choose any jacket. Under 'products comparison', the chart gives the fabric type and the star rating. Below that is the technical data, per the star rating, regarding both breathability and waterproofness. It's been there for years. Combining the provided data with the customer reviews, I'm not sure what more you could want. If you don't like Showers Pass, fine. Just don't fabricate facts to fit your agenda or biases.

I do not work for or have any connection with Showers Pass; I'm just a satisfied user that prefers accuracy.

Last edited by MAK; 11-23-18 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 09:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by noisebeam
You can try a bottle of Sriracha.
Please refer to this image from the reference archives to understand the proper application of Sriracha in cycling
Old 11-24-18, 02:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

No image to be seen, but I recommend blending with mayonnaise for an even application that stays in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.