Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Goggles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 10:33 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Goggles?

Anyone know of some type of goggles that fit over prescription lens glasses that would;
1. Keep your eyes from drying out.
2. Protect your expensive prescription glasses from damage in case of a fall.
3. Not look too dorky?
Not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I don't want ski goggles or aviator goggles. Not even sure if there is such a thing.
Anybody use some type of goggles when they ride?
Old 03-03-19, 10:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

There are those inexpensive safety goggles at hardware stores which I think are designed to fit over eyeglasses

but you might be interested to know there are helmets w attached shields that I’m pretty sure have room for eyeglasses underneath

Old 03-03-19, 10:51 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Bikes: Cheap ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before lasik, I rode with ski goggles designed to accommodate eyeglasses when it was really cold. Unfortunately, you’re probably not going to find much else. If you’re wearing a helmet and balaclava or something anyway, they don’t look hideously out of place. Mine were super cheap too - like $11.
Old 03-03-19, 10:59 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I don't know of any goggles that would fit over glasses and not look dorky and be uncomfortable.

Google prescription safety glasses. Many of the frames are similar or the same as cycling glasses and some are very inexpensive. Lots of options for tint, lens material, etc.
Old 03-03-19, 02:41 PM
Strack!
Tenacity

Bikes: Trek 7000, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jockey goggles

Jockey goggles should work. They fit over eyeglasses, protect against wind, and are very lightweight and comfortable. About $8-12.
Old 03-03-19, 02:43 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Anyone know of some type of goggles that fit over prescription lens glasses that would;
3. Not look too dorky?
Not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I don't want ski goggles or aviator goggles. Not even sure if there is such a thing.
You're on a bike. You're automatically a dork^100, the only people who don't think so are fellow dorks riding bikes.
Old 03-03-19, 03:38 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I bit the bullet last year and had a pair of Nike frames built up with tinted prescription progressive addition lenses - just for cycling.
https://www.framesdirect.com/nike-ra...AaAoY5EALw_wcB
Keeps the wind out much better than my everyday Buddy Holly frame glasses. Plus, can't see the frames, which don't interfere with use of my Take-a-Look visor-mounted mirror.

The jockey goggles look like they would be worth a try at a fraction of the cost of prescription glasses.
Old 03-03-19, 04:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
3. Not look too dorky?
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You're on a bike. You're automatically a dork^100, the only people who don't think so are fellow dorks riding bikes.
First, I have to address the dorky question.
Just yesterday, I posted to this thread on the General Cycling Discussion Forum, “Is Cycling an expensive hobby? “
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's only expensive if you give in to peer pressure and buy stuff to impress other cyclists.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Frankly having subscribed to several threads about expensive cycling expenditures, I'm dismayed by such simplistic, judgemental, and stereotypic comments.

Of course unless you mean by expensive, just a waste of money, "Money [performance] talks, BS [peer pressure] walks."
In my perennial post about cycling goggles I have posted:
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding
So to prevent fogging safety trumps style.
In all the threads I can recall about cycling goggles, fogging is a frequent issue; secondly price and rarely style.

I can’t recall any threads asking about protecting eyeglasses, and not even protecting the eyes themselves in a crash.

Actually I myself damaged my eyeglasses once in a crash, while wearing goggles and I was pretty helpless without them. I always carry a spare pair with me on the bike, as frequently as a spare tube (always).
...The upshot was spending from about 4:00 to 8:30 PM in the Emergency Room, with abrasions on my arms, knees, and a couple ugly ones on my face; and a gash about 1 inch long requiring 18 stitches to close. But not to worry, I’m OK, though I haven’t checked out the bike.

Wha’ happened? I was riding about 5 mph on the main street, and on that road surface were these strips of tar, the policeman called “tar seams,” apparently a cheap fix for cracks. In the 90 degree heat they became soft and sticky and grabbed my tire, and since I was going slowly, one pulled me down. The officer said that they had also received complaints from motorcyclists about these tar seams.

I think my brand neweyeglasses made the gash. Ironically, since I had a corneal abrasion a few weeks ago I have been wearing goggles over my eyeglasses and I have to wonder if the goggles pushed the eyeglasses into my face. The frames were pretty damaged and unwearable though I had a spare pair in the car
Old 03-03-19, 04:32 PM
Jim from Boston

˄ ˄ ˄ ˄

Originally Posted by jim from boston
...my second innovation, for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide, plastic industrial goggles that i suspend from my cycling cap using velcro around the nosepiece. The glasses sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered.

The earpieces then provide a secure mount for my eyeglass-mounted take-a-look mirror. The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.

These have made winter cycling entirely possible because all other attempts to avoid dangerous fogging have been nowhere as successful....

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-03-19 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 03-03-19, 05:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

There are those inexpensive safety goggles at hardware stores which I think are designed to fit over eyeglasses

but you might be interested to know there are helmets w attached shields that I’m pretty sure have room for eyeglasses underneath

I've tried on a couple, & they actually don't.
Old 03-03-19, 06:48 PM
WNCGoater

Okay, thanks for the replies. There are a number of decent enough looking goggles and even safety goggles but not that will accommodate eyeglasses underneath. Those jockey goggles look promising or Jim's safety glasses. Either would be a cheap trial.
Thanks again.
Old 03-03-19, 09:18 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
If you have access to a Harbor Freight store they have a lot of safety goggle options (and cheap). I have a couple pair of clear $1.99 goggles that fit nicely over my eyeglasses - one set for kickin' around the garage and another that I keep in a microfiber bag for shooting at the range.

Home Depot/Lowe's would also certainly have options for hands-on experimentation.
Old 03-05-19, 10:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Keep it simple. I just wear ski goggles when it's really cold. I have a good pair with dual pane anti-fog lenses. They make a huge difference and work perfectly.
Old 03-05-19, 10:43 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Get a cheaper script glasses from Walmart, BJ's, Sam's, glassesusa.com. If you have single vision you can get a pair pretty cheaply. Or you can get fit over sunglasses, fit over your script glasses, or clipons that would protect the lens of glasses, Dioptics Sunwear | The Official Site, www.fitovers.com.
Old 03-05-19, 12:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I personally wouldn't consider goggles since my wife thinks I look dorky enough when I ride. But I have gotten an eyeglass strap which, hopefully, will keep my glasses on my head or at least close in case of a major crash. I'm fairly blind without them, and my biggest fear is them flying off in a wreck and not being able to find them.
Old 03-08-19, 07:51 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Get a cheaper script glasses from Walmart, BJ's, Sam's, glassesusa.com. If you have single vision you can get a pair pretty cheaply. Or you can get fit over sunglasses, fit over your script glasses, or clipons that would protect the lens of glasses, Dioptics Sunwear | The Official Site, www.fitovers.com.
Thanks for those links. Wasn't aware of the variety of fit overs. May order a pair just to try, regardless of cycling . Currently using clip-ons & not totally happy.
Old 03-08-19, 07:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Do beer goggles count? I've worn those a few times.
Old 03-08-19, 08:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Thanks for those links. Wasn't aware of the variety of fit overs. May order a pair just to try, regardless of cycling . Currently using clip-ons & not totally happy.

Glad it was a help to you. I wear eyeglasses with multi focal lenses, including polarized sun glasses. I have an old pair of wrap around sunglasses that I use for cycling. My script has not changed all that much in the last 10-12 years so they are fine for cycling and other outdoors activities.
Old 03-08-19, 09:45 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'd go with a 'fit-over' glasses rather than a sealed 'goggle' Goggles work fine for things like skiing or motos, where there's a constant (high speed) stream of air moving over the lenses and vents. Once you stop though, the heat and moisture from your face make them fog almost instantly. If you're lucky, they clear once you're moving again, often you have to wait, or wipe to get them clear.
Anything that seals to your face isn't great for when you are getting hot and sweaty. I have a pair of safety glasses that have a thin gasket around the lenses, since where I work, rain, seawater spray, and various leaking hydraulic fluids are part of the environment. They fog all the time, especially if it's warm when I go out, or warm when I come inside, or if i'm climing a ladder, or if I stop moving.

I wear contact lenses, so I like to keep my eyes protected from wind and dust, grit, etc.. At cycling speeds, decent wrap-around glasses work fine. I usually wear some of the sunglasses-styled safety glasses you can find at hardware stores and safety vendors. They come in a lot of different styles and lens finishes, and are usually less than $20 / pair so you can get different pairs for different conditions without breaking the bank.
Old 03-08-19, 09:53 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If anyone is having a problem with lenses fogging up, you might try CAT CRAP on them. I use it all the time for skiing and snowmobiling. Haven't had to wear goggles while bike riding yet. But if I ever do, I'll coat them with CAT CRAP too. Check it out if you need it. Definitely works better than a raw potato.
Old 03-13-19, 08:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Bigbus
If anyone is having a problem with lenses fogging up, you might try CAT CRAP on them. I use it all the time for skiing and snowmobiling.

Haven't had to wear goggles while bike riding yet
. But if I ever do, I'll coat them with CAT CRAP too. Check it out if you need it. Definitely works better than a raw potato.
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:

Provide ventilation for the exhaled air, as described in my post; an advantage to the exhaled air is that it keeps the face warm.

2. Prevent the exhaled air from reaching the goggles:
I have tried typical, and expensive, double-paned ski goggles, and it seems difficult to keep that exhaled air from entering the seal, especially when forcefully exhaling as when riding uphill.

If moisture does get into the tightly sealeld goggles, it can’t get out.

It seems a tight headband would also be uncomfortable. An added benefit to safety glasses is I can mount my Take-a-Look mirror on the rigid earpieces.

3. Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.:
I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome. That’s why I suggest
that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year.

Every year there are many threads on about the problem.

FYA, I was most impressed by this system by @TuckamoreDew of Edmonton, AB:
I think that when skiiing downhill, one is not neccesarily breathing hard, not exhaling hot moist air; and there is a rapid onrush of cool ventilating air.

Compare this to laboring uphill on a bike at slow speed, exhaling forcefully, and encountering hardly any slight oncoming breeze.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-13-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 10:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Jim, the problem has never been with my exhalations. The problem has always been with the heat created by my head and face from the exertion that causes the problems of fogging up glasses, goggles, face masks, etc.
Old 03-19-19, 09:53 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Check out these guys

www.rothco.com

I have a pair of their xooold61v9 desertech tactical goggles

I got them to wear at Burning man and they worked great there in the dust storms.
I ride my bike with them all the time .
My glasses fit inside them .
They are great (grey tint) for riding when the sun is in your eyes.
They aren't expensive . I think I paid under $40. and I have been wearing them for 3 years.

The catalogue number is 10357 they are $39.

Last edited by capnjonny; 03-19-19 at 10:01 PM.