Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A word about VO headsets

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A word about VO headsets

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 08:45 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Yet another Ignore.

-Bandera
Old 05-17-19, 08:46 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
I didn’t think the caged bearings had a split race, only the sealed.
I'd be really surprised if the caged bearing headsets were supposed to come with a split race. Can't see how that is supposed to work.

Just checked the VO website and they only mention split crown races for the sealed bearing headset.
Old 05-17-19, 09:13 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
I didn’t think the caged bearings had a split race, only the sealed.
It appears sir you are correct

French sized frames use a 25.0mm steerer with a 22.0mm ID. The crown race is 26.5mm and the pressed race is 30.2 mm. Thread pitch is 1mm, or 25.4tpi. The final difference is that the steerer has a flat machined onto the back rather than a keyway, so a different washer is used. French headsets are getting very hard to find, but VO has one readily available.
Old 05-17-19, 09:14 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by kingston
As I said, my intent was correct the mis-information in your original post not to be helpful to you. I guess it's not surprising that you were offended by that. Thank you for your feedback on my communication style. I will try to be more delicate with you in the future.
Problem is you were wrong and didn’t provide factual information .. and you were rude
Old 05-17-19, 09:16 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I'd be really surprised if the caged bearing headsets were supposed to come with a split race. Can't see how that is supposed to work.

Just checked the VO website and they only mention split crown races for the sealed bearing headset.
Thats what I thought. Split race with cages would make for some rough steering.
Old 05-17-19, 09:29 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I have sold and installed a bunch of VO headsets without problems. Is the fork a new, Asian-made Motobecane fork or an older French one? Even the cheapest Chinese or Taiwanese fork is sized more consistently than a lot of 70's and 80s European-made ones. I'd have to wonder if the French fork had the crown race milled to the right diameter. It really pains me to say this, but many revered marques from the past are not dimensioned as accurately as current Asian product. I call this the "Taiwan appreciation lesson" if it is the case!
Old 05-17-19, 09:36 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Feldman
I have sold and installed a bunch of VO headsets without problems. Is the fork a new, Asian-made Motobecane fork or an older French one? Even the cheapest Chinese or Taiwanese fork is sized more consistently than a lot of 70's and 80s European-made ones. I'd have to wonder if the French fork had the crown race milled to the right diameter. It really pains me to say this, but many revered marques from the past are not dimensioned as accurately as current Asian product. I call this the "Taiwan appreciation lesson" if it is the case!
NOS french made Vitus 172 Fork that was still in the bag , I delivered it to my LBS after calling them to see if they could do it for me . They confirmed they could and still have the Campagnolo tools from when they did this task routinely.

They have been in business since the early 70s .

I did post the fork in another thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rk-advice.html
Old 05-17-19, 10:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
Problem is you were wrong and didn’t provide factual information .. and you were rude
Well that is embarrassing. My sincerest apologies
Old 05-17-19, 10:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what model of headset are you trying to install? VO sells several.

Some actual facts:
  • The proper milling of a fork crown is 0.1mm oversize for an interference fit - The proper facing tool for a 26.4 headset mills to 26.5mm
  • VO crown races are split for sealed bearing models only.
  • I've never had a crown race split when attempting to install, even when I was trying to accidentally press a 26.4 on a 27.0 milled fork crown. Since the OP states it's milled to 26.5, I'd be concerned if two crown races have split, and so would VO.
Old 05-17-19, 10:21 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by gugie
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what model of headset are you trying to install? VO sells several.

Some actual facts:
  • The proper milling of a fork crown is 0.1mm oversize for an interference fit - The proper facing tool for a 26.4 headset mills to 26.5mm
  • I've never had a crown race split when attempting to install, even when I was trying to accidentally press a 26.4 on a 27.0 milled fork crown. Since the OP states it's milled to 26.5, I'd be concerned if two crown races have split, and so would VO.

VO French headset Gugie

when i get the fork this evening or tomorrow I’ll retrieve the broken races
Old 05-17-19, 10:27 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
I don't think so. Just a guess though; I haven't done a comparative study. I don't recall a lot of problems BITD, but that being said new forks typically got the crown races chased before headset installation, along with the head tubes of course.

It was common for French bikes to have either 27.0 or 26.4 or 26.5, IIRC. Crown races got milled all the time from 27 to 26.4. It's a tedious task to do. BITD, somehow I always got stuck doing it. At any rate, if the shop in question had the campy tool, knew how to use it, and double checked everything by caliper, probably the problem is in fact what they say - bad race.
Old 05-17-19, 11:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Does this VO headset look like this? https://velo-orange.com/products/headset-parts

The "split race" is a split sleeve with shoulder that slides easily over the crown, then the race itself slides over that sleeve. I've never seen such a headset, but then, I haven't seen everything.

I know this sounds like a broken record, but I am a huge fan of Tange headsets. Very consistent, never issues. Go reliably (at least for me) 8k miles before too much indexing, than another 1k with the next ball size up. Readily available in well marked packages. You can mix and match parts from different models and diameters to fit virtually any 1" steerered bike and stack height. Full quality chrome that takes wrenches well, even on their (very low stack) $8 OEM replacement headsets. The Passage fits my custom ti the best with a locknut from the cheapie. $14.

Ben
Old 05-17-19, 12:12 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
On one hand, if the shop cracked one race I'd think the mechanic might be prepared for some alteration of a replacement that was also not going on properly. I don't do a whole lot of headset installation but twice I've had to open up the crown race a little bit with a drill attachment.
Old 05-17-19, 12:21 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Perhaps the VO crown races are too hard/brittle?

I went through a similar thing with my '78 Grand Jubile - found a NOS replacement fork, but of Vitus 888 and longer blades/different geo.
I didn't want to have to replace the headset, as I like the look and adjustment of the original with the black top nut.

Very pleased with the ride, even with the altered front end, and got lucky that my headset was in such nice shape.
I can understand wanting to change due to aesthetic issues.
Old 05-17-19, 12:32 PM
SamSpade1941 

@BFisher

Had my headset not had some putting and flaking in the chrome I would have re used it as it is a handsome headset. The Motobecane marked Stronglight headsets are quite handsome

The VO was just the most economical replacement I could find as I can’t really spend $100 plus on a NOS Campy or Shimano headset and honestly I did not want to spend $50 to $100 for a used one either .
Old 05-17-19, 12:37 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@SamSpade1941, It was a logical choice. I've had good experiences with VO in the past, and their headset does look good.
Old 05-17-19, 12:42 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by BFisher
@SamSpade1941, It was a logical choice. I've had good experiences with VO in the past, and their headset does look good.

I mostly have as well ...

their brake pads not so much.. I’m not going to say I will not try another one of their headsets but I’m going to examine both races first
Old 05-17-19, 12:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I wasn't trying to suggest that it was an install problem. Traditionally, a crown race is pretty tough to break, even if mismatched.

I've hand filed at least a few steerers in my day. Never had a proper machining tool.
Old 05-17-19, 01:48 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by clubman
I wasn't trying to suggest that it was an install problem. Traditionally, a crown race is pretty tough to break, even if mismatched.

I've hand filed at least a few steerers in my day. Never had a proper machining tool.
Ive heard of people hand filing them , haven’t tried it yet
Old 05-17-19, 01:49 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
A simple measurement using a caliper would easily have identified the problem before anything was broken. To break TWO is not a hardware problem. It is a mechanic problem.
Old 05-17-19, 01:53 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
A simple measurement using a caliper would easily have identified the problem before anything was broken. To break TWO is not a hardware problem. It is a mechanic problem.
Or defective parts .. plain and simple , Chinese made goods aren’t immune to that sort of thing . Especially at the price point of this headset .
Old 05-17-19, 02:59 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
Or defective parts .. plain and simple , Chinese made goods aren’t immune to that sort of thing . Especially at the price point of this headset .
If the race is undersized or the crown is oversized, the caliper would tell the tale before installation.

If both are properly sized, it could be the race is too hard (brittle and cannot strain) or has a latent defect (notch or microcrack). Those are both possible but I wouldn't go there until I saw the measurements.

None were posted, so I am suspicious of the work. No argument was made against having to pay for a part replacement, either - more suspicion.

Usually, when tempering is improperly done, the parts are too soft not too hard. At least, that has been my experience with inexpensive Chinese goods.

No mention was made of the nature of the cracked race, either. Was it a brittle failure or tensile failure or...?

Anyway, those are my thoughts +/- some lack of continuity due to cut and paste changes.
Old 05-17-19, 03:07 PM
Bad Lag

Generic question -

Is there anything wrong with having a somewhat less tight fit (by design) between the crown race and the crown. This might allow the race to move a tiny bit over time and avoid the dimpling (brinnelling) that has eventually killed every one of my headsets.

Does one occasionally rotate the races to avoid brinnelling?

I have also hand-fitted a crown race to a fork, at least once.
Old 05-17-19, 03:26 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Some actual facts:

Here's a little video,

https://vimeo.com/33045436

I was having trouble understanding what a split crown race is ... it seems they're just easier to remove and install on the steering tube / fork (no setting tool necessary).

I imagine they could be brittle or since the fork is not original to the bike, there may be size issues.

I second the recommendation for Tange headsets, have used JIS, ISO, and BMX!

I have also read split crown races are for sealed bearing headsets only. I am also interested to know if they hold up against brinelling longer?
Old 05-17-19, 03:27 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Generic question -

Does one occasionally rotate the races to avoid brinnelling?
I won't comment on all the issues in this thread interesting as it is, as I don't claim the expertise, but any time I overhaul an old frame, especially one with unknown history, I do rotate the crown race and convert to loose balls. YMMV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.