Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Super light weight portable e-bike drive kit

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 03:28 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

Some of you may be familiar with a product called ShareRoller. It was a crowd funded e bike drive system that took about as long as Helix to come to fruition, lol. However, it is live now. I received mine and have been using it for the past week or so with one of my bikes, a Dahon Mu Uno (single speed). I have the throttle controller as well as the PAS controller.
This coming week I will have the custom mount for my Bike Friday ****T and will be able to swap the motor system from one bike to the other, just by clamping onto the different
mounts, in about 10 seconds (really). Once I have it on my Bike Friday and have used it a bit, I will post a detailed review, but for now I wanted to share a picture, and tell you that
I'm in love with this thing. At 4.5lbs for the battery and mount together, it adds hardly any weight at all to the bike. Top speed is 28mph (pedal assisted). There's a phone app you can use as well as the throttle and PAS. I just came back from Costco, pulling my Travoy trailer and a bunch of food. Fast and easy. I locked up the Dahon as usually and in 10 seconds had the battery and motor clamped together and inside my backpack. NO theft worries! I got rid of my car in April and I've been waiting for
this thing so I can extend the range of where I go and what I can do. So far, it's amazing!
Old 06-22-19, 02:25 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What's the range of this setup and how much does it cost? I've looked at the website and couldn't help but notice that many people mount this on top of the front wheel which, I may add, looks horrid.

Some years back I remember seeing a similar setup on Kickstarter but I forgot what it was called. After just now doing a little searching I think I found it again. It is called "GO-E" ONwheel. Roller type motor designed to mount where the kick stand use to be on older bikes. I thought something like that might work on my mountain bike BUT...there might be problems using with a mountain bike. Not sure how these things would work with knobby tires for one. Sadly, after looking at my FS Kona mountain bike I noticed that my chain stays are completely off-set. That said I doubt the GO-E would work on my mountain bike. The GO-E / ONwheel kickstarter is over and the current price is quite high ( 749,00 € ) Damn, the money I could of saved if I bought one of these for my Specialized Sirrus. Nope, looks like if I convert my MTB I'll have to go mid-drive.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 06-22-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 10:05 PM
linberl

So there are different mounts, depending on what you want to do. There are front mounts, rear mounts, rack mounts, seatpost mounts. And Jeff will consider making a custom mount for unique situations (3d printed). Range obviously depends on how you use it but there are two battery sizes, the small (which is 130wh) and the larger (300wh). Now I use mine intermittently, not on all the time (you can "pause" the PAS system) and with PAS on level 1 (which gave me speeds between 14-17mph with a decent cadence) I get 20 miles on the small battery. If you use the throttle or any of the higher levels of PAS your range will be less, of course. The cool thing is both the handlebar display and the phone app calculate your projected range in live time on the fly so as you can PAS levels you can see what it will do to your range or when you use throttle. So you have the tools to make sure you have juice
when you need it. It is a VERY sophisticated system, not much like Go-e or Add-e except they are all friction drives. But 1M uses very sophisticated software and hardware (aerospace cables, for example) and is on a whole different level. Imo it's the ideal kit for a road bike or other bike you want to keep light, want to be able to revert quickly back to
standard form, want to fly with, or want to lock up without worrying about theft of your motor and battery. It's not intended to compete with 50 lbs mountain e-bikes with giant batteries and slicker tires work better but it does auto-adjust the tension on the wheel. Speed is excellent if you want it - up to 28mph in the US, I had it up to 22mph and that was too fast for me, the bugs smacking me actually hurt, lol. Prices and a whole lot more detail can be found on their website, onemotor.co, not dot com, just co. I justified it because I use two different bikes and kitting up both of them would easily have cost more than having one system I can move in 10 seconds from one to the other. The other cool thing about it is if you need to send it back for warranty or upgrades you don't have to send your wheel or sideline your bike; just pop it in a padded box the size of a shoe box and off it goes =).

Last edited by linberl; 06-22-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 07:50 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
It's expensive today ($1299 with smallest battery pack) in my opinion, but you got a good price with the early backers slot, Lin. Still it will appeal to the folks that want an ebike w/o needing much in tools. I like the packaging of the batteries.
Old 06-23-19, 09:25 AM
linberl

Yes, it is pricey but if you have more than one bike, it becomes very reasonable. You'll pay at least $600 min. for a kit for one bike, a cheap kit, and it won't do 28mph nor be lightweight, nor come off easily to prevent theft. So, two bikes (or one bike and one commuter scooter) and it's worth it. And, honestly, the software is amazing. Jeff's even going to have over-the-air updating available! Even if I had to pay full price, I would probably purchase it because I use my two bikes all the time (one for long fun rides, one for all my errands). I could not electrify both for less than that. And I like that if a bike get stolen or sold, I still have my motor =).