Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do Specialized road bikes have proprietary parts?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-19-19, 09:59 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I seem to recall hearing over coffee/beer/whatever that Specialized uses proprietary components on their bikes, forcing you to purchase Specialized gear/parts. Is this true? When I spec them out online, they are using what seems to be Shimano/SRAM components, so I'm unclear on where there proprietary bit comes in. And if Specialized is using proprietary parts/components, what are they exactly? How does it impact on your use of the bike?

Thank you.
Old 07-19-19, 10:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Proprietary motor.
Old 07-19-19, 10:26 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Future Shock is proprietary. It's the only non-trivial proprietary part on my 2019 Roubaix. Hasn't bothered me yet, though it's easy to find plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth about it on BF.

More of their bikes are using proprietary D-shaped seat posts. My Giant has one too, while my 2019 Roubaix uses standard. I have yet to want to switch posts but prefer standard. D-shape supposedly makes saddle alignment a non-issue, but I've still managed to carelessly misalign my saddle on the Giant by a fair amount when I thought it couldn't happen.
Old 07-19-19, 10:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
A lot of manufacturers now use proprietary seatposts, particularly on aero frames. I wouldn't let that be a determining factor.

Several years ago, Specialized released its SCS road disc wheel system, which it thought would be copied by the rest of the industry. It wasn't.

That said, Specialized, like most manufacturers, uses its own branded bars, stems, saddles and wheels, but they can be swapped out with pretty much any other option.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-19-19, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Probably the materials of the frame or some unique way they manufacture the frame or any other component they make. But as for the Shimano, SRAM, or any other groupset on them, they are standard in that respect.

But of course Shimano, SRAM and others have their proprietary stuff too.

Are you wanting to copy it and sell it? or just asking if you can put other components on it?
Old 07-19-19, 11:37 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
To better answer your original question, No, the drive trains are not proprietary neither is most of the bike except very specific limited examples as stated above.
Old 07-19-19, 11:41 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
More of their bikes are using proprietary D-shaped seat posts. My Giant has one too, while my 2019 Roubaix uses standard. I have yet to want to switch posts but prefer standard. D-shape supposedly makes saddle alignment a non-issue, but I've still managed to carelessly misalign my saddle on the Giant by a fair amount when I thought it couldn't happen.
D-shape is primarily for aerodynamics and compliance.

It being "for alignment" is silly. It's not difficult to adequately align a saddle, and a circular cross-section protects the bicycle by being able to twist in a crash, in addition to allowing the rails to be intentionally positioned non-straight if that's ever needed or desired for whatever reason.
Old 07-19-19, 11:56 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by HTupolev

It being "for alignment" is silly. It's not difficult to adequately align a saddle, and a circular cross-section protects the bicycle by being able to twist in a crash, in addition to allowing the rails to be intentionally positioned non-straight if that's ever needed or desired for whatever reason.
Nobody said the D-shape was "for alignment," so I find it odd that you use quotation marks as though you're quoting someone (in this case, implying me, since you're quoting my post). It is something that the LBS will tell customers to assuage concerns about its proprietary nature, because the rest of the benefits are arguably marginal.

I've never noticed any benefit to supposed increased compliance. I don't ride my road bikes like cruisers with all my weight on my butt. You won't see tandem owners wishing they had a D-shaped stoker seat post.

As for aero frame features for a rec cyclist, BF debates the value plenty. It's pretty low on the list of advantages.

What is an actual, tangible, and noticeable difference between D-shaped and standard seat posts is that if I wanted a different seat post, I'd be s.o.l. This is exactly the type of effect of being proprietary that the OP is asking about.
Old 07-19-19, 12:10 PM
HTupolev

Nobody said the D-shape was "for alignment," so I find it odd that you use quotation marks as though you're quoting someone (in this case, implying me, since you're quoting my post).
You did:
D-shape supposedly makes saddle alignment a non-issue
Those were scare quotes, and I was ridiculing the idea. I don't think we disagree with each other.
Old 07-19-19, 12:19 PM
surak

You did:

Those were scare quotes, and I was ridiculing the idea. I don't think we disagree with each other.
Well we may not disagree with each other, but it's a stretch to interpret what I wrote to mean that the reason the D-shape exists is for saddle alignment.
Old 07-19-19, 12:29 PM
HTupolev

Well we may not disagree with each other, but it's a stretch to interpret what I wrote to mean that the reason the D-shape exists is for saddle alignment.
I didn't mean to imply whether or not you yourself were making the claim. I was disagreeing with the idea, regardless of who suggested it. By using the word "supposedly", it seemed like you were implying that someone was implying that it was one of the reasons for the D-shape.
Old 07-19-19, 12:52 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Well, they certainly use... specialized parts!

I'll be here all week!
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-19-19, 02:17 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
To better answer your original question, No, the drive trains are not proprietary neither is most of the bike except very specific limited examples as stated above.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you wanting to copy it and sell it? or just asking if you can put other components on it?
Just asking to know what I'm getting in to if I were to purchase a Specialized bike. Am I locked in to their system, for example.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 07-19-19 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 02:30 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Somewhat depends on the bike you're talking about. Example: I have an older Tricross that uses some sort of proprietary headset--although plenty of people have retrofitted them with third-party headsets.
Old 07-19-19, 03:22 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts

It being "for alignment" is silly. ...
He didn't say it was "for alignment."
Old 07-19-19, 05:46 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
They sometimes use their own cranks but Shimano etc can be fitted with adapters.
The earlier model Diverge had an odd rear hub spacing and as has been mentioned there is the future shock on the Roubaix.
So you could say they don't use much odd ball stuff and it certainly is nothing compared to all the proprietary parts on many modern bikes, especially around the bar/stem area.
Old 07-19-19, 06:01 PM
surak

I didn't mean to imply whether or not you yourself were making the claim. I was disagreeing with the idea, regardless of who suggested it. By using the word "supposedly", it seemed like you were implying that someone was implying that it was one of the reasons for the D-shape.
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
He didn't say it was "for alignment."
We cleared up -- HTupolev was referring to my implication that someone (the LBS) told me the D-Fuse seat post eases saddle alignment, which isn't true but is something that I've also seen bandied around elsewhere.
Old 07-19-19, 07:51 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
What are the chances of getting parts for the future shock in 15 years?
Old 07-21-19, 11:50 AM
Alexbn921

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
What are the chances of getting parts for the future shock in 15 years?
Actually pretty good. They have 3 models with it and I have a feeling that it will be part of their production for the next 10 years at least. Epic XC ones on the other hand are going to be very hard to come bye.