Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Worn vs worn out, when to change tires?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-21-19, 10:21 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

A recent bike was purchased with worn tires but still have tire pattern and work fine. How does one tell when it is time to change, or should I just put new ones on now?
Old 07-21-19, 11:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Inspect them closely when fully inflated for dry cracks or anything else that doesn’t look normal. If a tire passes a close visual inspection you should be good to go
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-21-19, 11:28 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You can ride them until the casing material is exposed. When the tread is worn down you'll lose puncture protection and maybe lose traction, but given that it is still safe to ride.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-21-19, 11:47 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Thank you. I bought new tires just in case, but it sounds like these should be fine for now.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 07-21-19, 01:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Minor surface checking/cracking of the rubber is inconsequential as long as the fabric cords, which give the tire its structural integrity, are not exposed. Same with wear on the tread; when you start seeing the cords or their pattern through the remaining rubber it is replacement time, as tyrion states.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-21-19, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
For me, it depends on what's coming up on my riding schedule. If just a normal ride for me, I'm more curious about the "how far will they go" instead of worried about flatting. If a Century ride or other organized ride is coming up or if I were to be going off to areas I'm not familiar with, then I want decent tires under me and will change them before the casing is showing.

I've ridden tires with the casing showing through many a time. I've not had any wreck or scare when they finally ripped apart. However if I was riding mountain switchbacks, it might be a bad experience.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-21-19, 02:07 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I ride mine until they fail. I carry boots so I can limp home. I don't recommend my practice.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 07-21-19, 02:13 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
1. Casing shows through tread
2. Casing threads are fraying in the sidewalls
3. Bead is separating from casing.
4. Lots of tiny cuts or gashes in the rubber.
5. For a used bike, rubber is cracked where the tire has been parked while flat for a long time.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-22-19, 07:32 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
When I start getting punctures more frequently it's my tires telling me it's time to re-tire.
Old 07-22-19, 10:07 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
There is aging, there is wear, and there is failure. The check for cracking and such above is for aging. These checks are all good.

Failure is where the fabric has ripped or been cut and you a blowout or a bulge.

The wear threshold is when you have a wide flat part of the rear tire, and in that flat spot you can see the tire fabric. If your tires don't have cracks or anything, you can replace a worn rear with a semi-worn front (The rear tire will wear down faster) so that you get all the tread you paid for. Then put your new tire on the front.

BTW, DO NOT "ROTATE" TIRES. That is, never just take the worn rear tire and swap it out with the front tire to equalize tread wear. Wear the back one out, put the semi-worn front on the back and put your good tire on the front. Or, replace both if you like. Remember: Always have your best tire on the front wheel.

For a bit of background on that last point (unfortunately described as tire rotation), read here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 07-22-19 at 10:12 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-22-19, 05:34 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
A recent bike was purchased with worn tires but still have tire pattern and work fine. How does one tell when it is time to change, or should I just put new ones on now?
Replace the rear tire with the front when you see fabric/cords, a bulge where cords broke, a hole large enough to let the tube escape, or sidewall damage. You may also replace it when you're running a tire which relies on rubber thickness for puncture protection and the flat rate has become unacceptable. Tread doesn't matter for onroad traction.

Replace the front when you move it to the back or have irreparable damage.

I get about 4,500 miles in back from my GP4000S/SII tires after similar mileage in front but occasionally lose one due to road debris before that. Here's one GP4000S with 5257 rear miles after 1037 in front:
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 07-23-19, 07:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
As above, if the casing/cords are starting to show though, the tire is finished. A bulge in the tire also usually indicates damaged tire casing and it should be replaced. Also if you notice increased frequency of punctures, your tire has likely thinned enough that it should be replaced.

Also as above, if replacing with similar sized tires (not changing from 40mm width to 28mm width, for instance), general orthodoxy is to replace the worn rear tire with the much less worm front tire, and put a new tire on the front. The logic behind this is that a more worn tire is likely more prone to punctures, and punctures on the front tire often have the potential to be more catastrophic than punctures on the rear.
If you are making a big change in tire size then I think you should change both at the same time.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 12-22-21, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
before you hear threads popping as you ride, then look down to see the sidewall bulging out

oh man, fooled by an old thread again