Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 08-28-19, 01:27 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
24 miles, Delray to Deerfield Beach. Weather was beautiful, hoping hurricane doesn't come here this weekend!
Old 08-28-19, 04:27 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Up(and down) in my happy shredding place this morning. Perfect warm mtb weather:

32CF69EA-0619-473F-B326-F4300A312E7D by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_9904 by 2cam16, on Flickr

BFEFFA82-E0F4-4E6D-87A9-DE29C781888C by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_9905 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 08-28-19, 06:57 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

Picture from my bike ride today at 4 miles into my planned 20 mile ride. At the point where I stopped and snapped this shot, I knew the rest of the ride was going to be a race because that storm had a bulls eye on me and my route home was parallel to its advance. So only went 1 mile further, saw the lightening and heard the thunder. Pulled up my radar app on my phone, and thought "uh oh!" at the display which had originally claimed I had plenty of time for my ride before the storm reached my area. Well that wasn't the case anymore. The storm had moved a lot faster then I anticipated. It was bad. Really bad. I had three choices - - find shelter right away, catch the 3 mile gravel road just a half mile away which meant slow riding but slightly closer to home, or the 5 miles of paved road back which was faster but longer. I chose faster, and turned around to book it home. Had to go 20-22 mph coming back in aero position to keep up my speed and close the miles as the storm was coming at me from the side and moving far faster than me. I could see the curtain of rain as it came over the mountains, obscuring everything in its path, north and south, for miles. I reached the garage, flying, just 30 seconds before the downpour hit. The rain came down in torrents with gale force winds as I got off my bike, gasping for breath and drenched in sweat. This was probably the fastest 5 mile sprint I've ever done.

It was awesome!

Got the rest of the 20 mile ride in just before sunset, arriving back home as dusk was settling into evening. Now relaxing with feet up on the sofa in the screened in porch, a fan overhead, glass of iced tea in hand, dogs on the sofa with me asleep at my feet, and the nightime peaceful with an abundance of nocturnal sounds all around me.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 08-28-19 at 07:31 PM.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 08-28-19, 07:51 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Drove to the MUP (path start is two towns up from me, or 12 miles away whichever way you want to say it) and cycled to the bike shop in the next town (11 miles up, right off the path) where I had them do a few tweeks on my newest ebike, then back on the bike, a bit of a tour around the town, then back on the path heading back to the MUP parking lot. The path is tree shaded almost 100% of the way, a boon as the temps and humidity are rocketing up again. It was a joy to pedal along just relaxing and saying hello to everyone else on the path, and stopping to pet and love-on any puppy being walked. Getting in my riding now since Monday is expected to have a heat index of 105, and extremely high humidity.

First time for me having to remove the bike's front wheel - necessary for the bike to fit inside the electric car (2018 Leaf SV). But it fit beautifully, and as an added bonus the bike's motor is ideally placed to sit firmly in the hatchback's lock-catch depression, which holds the bike upright without assistance, the front forks overhanging in the air, so that I can easily remove or replace the front wheel. Having a disk brake makes it easier to slide the wheel in place, too. All extremely easy to do by myself.

The other day I saw two road bikes riding shotgun on the roof of a Tesla. Forgot to snap a pic - that would have been a classic, although I was disappointed the bikes weren't electric as well (albeit true zero emission).

Picture at the end of a lovely, peaceful 23.7 mile outing - my ebike ready to go home in my e-car.

2019 e-bike in 2018 e-car. "Oh, the times they are a'changing". Bob Dillon
Try to put bike inside other way:

Old 08-29-19, 07:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Last night was our local WNCX (low-key cyclocross races to warm up for the season), and I invited the family to heckle me while I race my fatbike. What a night to have everyone there to watch - the course included a long stair case climb to heft my steel frame Pugsley up, and my 'worst' wreck in CX ever ... and they were right there to watch the wreck too.

The bike was the wrong choice for a long list of reasons, tight twisty course with a long wheelbase, heavy bike for climbing the stairs ... but other riders envied the beefy tires on the loose dirt and gravel sections. So there were some pluses. Also, the fatbike lots of cheers from the fans around the course.

So the wreck - I was on my 4th lap going into the stairs. I started trotting up the steps while I was still trying to shoulder my bike. I missed a step, falling forward, catching myself with my face on the handlebars. The damage seems minor, mostly a fat lip. I'll talk with my dentist today to make sure they have no concern about my teeth. Funny thing, my kid was 'rooting' for the stairs ... and the stairs won!

Lisa and I rode to/from WNCX for a total ride of 20 miles, including a stop for pizza and drinks on the way home. Here a few pics Lisa took last night:

Dismounting into the stair climb (earlier lap, not leading into the wreck)

The long staircase we climbed - showing off my bad bike-shoulder technique (cable-routing makes standard carrying methods a problem)

Post-race family selfie with ice pack.

In summation

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-29-19, 06:52 PM
momsonherbike

12.7 miles just before sunset. It was cool, calm, and peaceful. Had a bit of a delay about a mile down the road - a sweet Boxer puppy exploring on her own alongside the paved road. She was thrilled with my attention, bouncing all over the place, which made it cute but difficult to read her owner's phone number on the tag. Left a message at the number, and the owner called me back 3 minutes later. I was already walking the dog (using a long piece of double sided velcro tape - which I keep in my panniers for emergencies - as a leash/loop) towards the nearest house - thankfully it turned out to be the owner's house. Apparently hubby had forgotten to put the electronic collar on, and puppy took a walkabout without him knowing the puppy was gone. Owner (who was away at a class) was VERY thankful, and I was happy the cute puppy was back home. Continued my ride, enjoying the road and the scenery without further interruptions.
Old 08-29-19, 08:35 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
I could see the curtain of rain as it came over the mountains, obscuring everything in its path, north and south, for miles. I reached the garage, flying, just 30 seconds before the downpour hit. The rain came down in torrents with gale force winds as I got off my bike, gasping for breath and drenched in sweat. This was probably the fastest 5 mile sprint I've ever done. It was awesome!
That does sound awesome. I had one like that a couple years ago and I really flew, very motivated.

Last edited by rseeker; 08-29-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 02:15 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
36 and change. Good hills, couple breaks, took me about 4 hrs. I never remember to start Strava. Too bad, I could post a brag about those hills.
Old 08-30-19, 03:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Today - 28 tandem miles on Day one of the Midwest Tandem Rally in Columbus, IN. About 275 teams total. Longer rides coming up Sat./Sun.
Came down on Wednesday with stoker and rode Sunday’s 58 mile route on single bikes, checking to be sure the route was marked correctly and no problems with the roads. All was good.
Old 08-30-19, 06:13 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Old 08-30-19, 08:18 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I ride the local MUP after dinner M-F (weather permitting). The loop is ~25kms. I try to double that on the wknds.
Unfortunately, my rides are numbered because the weather is changing and its getting darker quicker. Its just a matter of time before I'm stuck riding my stationary bike in the basement.......
Old 08-30-19, 09:25 PM
rubynewbie

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL 6 Womens’s and 2018 Cannondale Quick 1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts
I just received the most thoughtful and encouraging private message from momsonherbike. She invited me to check out this thread and use it. I am middle age, overweight, and was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It seemed like a pretty good wake up call to get in better shape. So I bought a bike. And here I am. Next week my plan is to start riding every day. I have a couple of 17 hour work days over the weekend (and also over the last few days) so the bike has been idle. But the plan will commence soon. I have only been able to take my new bike out once so far for 5 miles, which is about my comfort limit at this point before wrists and sit bones start screaming at me.
Likes For rubynewbie:
Old 08-31-19, 02:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rubynewbie
I just received the most thoughtful and encouraging private message from momsonherbike. She invited me to check out this thread and use it. I am middle age, overweight, and was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It seemed like a pretty good wake up call to get in better shape. So I bought a bike. And here I am. Next week my plan is to start riding every day. I have a couple of 17 hour work days over the weekend (and also over the last few days) so the bike has been idle. But the plan will commence soon. I have only been able to take my new bike out once so far for 5 miles, which is about my comfort limit at this point before wrists and sit bones start screaming at me.

Great that you're going to ride but not too much too soon. " .....Next week my plan is to start riding every day...... " might not be the best, just sayin.

ENJOY YOUR BIKE
Old 08-31-19, 05:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

46 moderately hilly tandem miles today on Day two of Midwest Tandem Rally in Columbus, IN.
Old 08-31-19, 06:38 PM
momsonherbike

21 miles. Had a headwind going...and a headwind coming back. Is that even possible?

Did stop enroute at the local cemetery to visit a friend's grave, and ended up meeting, then spending a half hour chatting with, two ladies who were busy weeding and replanting flowers in their family plot. Had the best time swapping stories (and dishing hilarious dirt) with them on old families that used to live in the area. These ladies (about my age) had grown up in this locale. I hadn't, but 2 years ago I had written an article that was published in two historical society magazines on a 200 year old business in the area, so was familiar with a lot of the old local family names (and gossip) through my extensive research and interviews. It was a fun rest stop full of laughter and reminiscing, and I think they appreciated the respite from their labor. We finally said our goodbyes and I left them to go back to spiffying up their ancestors graves while I mounted up and headed on towards home.

Just goes to show one can find great opportunities to meet a lot of very nice, interesting, friendly people when one takes one's bike out for a ride.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 08-31-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 08:35 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
42 miles yesterday, planned on 50+ today. Woke up a little after 7:00 to try to get an early start. Was putting on the Lycra and I heard thunder. What? The forecast was 20% chance of rain. Checked the weather radar and saw a small but strong storm right over us. No other rain around anywhere. I waited for it to pass and headed out, but due to the late start, I had to shorten to 41 miles. My bike was a mess due to the wet roads so I gave it a long-overdue bath.
Old 09-01-19, 06:18 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
17 miles yesterday, riding very slowly (on purpose). Looking forward to a holiday ride tomorrow with my oldest son.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-01-19, 12:43 PM
jcoyle

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105,Vilano TUONO T2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't posted in quite a while. I was riding every day about 30 miles or so but came to the conclusion that I just wasn't recovering well . Over the winter I went to every other day and now I do 45 miles every other. Did my first two fondo's 100 Km and 75 miles and finished both but way in the back. Learned a lot about hydration. Still stuck at 15.5 MPH but since properly hydrating I think that will change. I'm also getting a new bike to replace my current $239.00 Amazon Vilano in October but that probably isn't going to be a huge improvement but as they say every little bit. I've got over 4000 miles on it in just over a year so I can't complain, I defiantly got my $239.00 worth.
Old 09-01-19, 04:28 PM
momsonherbike

17 miles with the goal to visit the grave of an old equestrian endurance friend who died in 2004 at age 49 of cancer. (I'm a genealogist so I'm quite at home haunting graveyards in the corporeal form). Her ashes are buried in the graveyard of a church "the next town over" which was accessible two ways: 1. via 2 miles of a major 55mph paved two lane highway with zero (seriously not kidding) shoulders, or 2. a historic gravel road called Greengarden Road that is little changed from 150 years ago when the North and the South both sent soldiers and cavalry on that byway enroute to local engagements of gunfire and skirmishes (and thievery) during The War of Northern Aggression (aka The Civil War).

I chose the rutted, steep, "blind curves everywhere" gravel road as a measure of car free peaceful riding, not to mention the history that snuck into every view and turn of the old road. The roads still echo to hoofbeats, albeit of modern horses, but very few, if any, cars venture that way anymore. At one time it was only hoofprints that tracked the road, equines and horse drawn wagons both fording the creeks with aplomb. But about 1900 cars and bicycles began gaining momentum among horses with the use of the roads, and fording a creek suddenly became a nuisance rather than a nevermind. In the late 1910's the roads commission embarked on a program in the county to bridge all the difficult fords, and a standardized structure (like the one in the photo) soon became part of the countryside. Hundreds of these little concrete bridges were built, and the majority of them still stand today, very tired and weather worn, but carefully maintained and treasured under state historic protection. This bridge in the photo is next to Sunken Lane where Union Brigadier-General John Buford turned his troops to flank the major byway (now called Rt 50) in pursuit of the Southern troops during the Battle of Upperville (June 21st 1863).

The guns are long gone, as are the soldiers, and all is silent now, the creeks flowing slowly with unmuddied water. The peace and quiet of the countryside under my wheels was so soothing - just me, my bike, and the woodland and pastureland countryside. In 3 miles the tranquility ended with my arrival at Rt 50 in Upperville - and a lovely 25mph speed limit through the entire 2 miles of town. I stopped at the church graveyard to lay flowers on my friend's grave, then walked my bike out of the parking lot just as those attending the Sunday morning service were turning in and parking their cars. A half mile later I turned onto Trappe Road, passing endless farm fields that a century and a half ago were filled with soldiers from all corners of the US. Only the stone walls, the gravel roads, and historical signs bear witness to those that fought and died on these fields to keep the US from fracturing. I biked along under an overcast gray sky, solitary and thoughtful, until I once again hit the paved road. Then it was home to look up those battles, and the history of those unique little concrete bridges.

I don't think one should ever forget the places our bikes take us to, nor the history that came long before we left our own tracks in passing.

https://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2...of-upperville/
https://loudounnow.com/2017/07/14/tr...unpaved-roads/

Last edited by momsonherbike; 09-01-19 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 09-01-19, 04:55 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
My reply is no, but I will ride to work in the morning on Labor Day. 0200 comes soon so good night. Be Well. Bluesfrog

Last edited by Bluesfrog; 09-01-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 08:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

This past Sunday, rode the final day of the Midwest Tandem Rally - 43 mostly flat, very rural miles near Columbus Indiana. About 285 teams participated, most on 2-person bikes but several 3- and 4-place tandems were there.

Old 09-07-19, 10:44 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Two hours pushing the local rollers late this morning. It was quite hot by the time I finished. Ready for some cooler temps!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-07-19, 12:37 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Post hurricane ride with the young guns this morning. 30 miles on country roads, nice clear day like is always seems to be after a storm, but saw more downed trees than I would have thought.

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 09-08-19, 09:12 AM
jcoyle

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105,Vilano TUONO T2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42.5 miles. Three good climbs. I know I'm riding better and it feels like I'm going faster but the Ave. is still 15.5 ? Oh well it was a good ride.
Old 09-08-19, 09:16 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by jcoyle
42.5 miles. Three good climbs. I know I'm riding better and it feels like I'm going faster but the Ave. is still 15.5 ? Oh well it was a good ride.
That sounds good to me! Thought I was flying yesterday, only to average 14 mph! It’s all relative, I guess. Maybe I’ll switch to metric units.

Likes For horatio:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.