Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 08:26 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs

I know, I know it’s a dime a dozen 1978 Schwinn Traveler 3, but when I jumped on one of my online local auction houses and there wasn’t even a bid on this I had to throw a $1 on it. Well I ended up paying a $1.16 with tax and buyers fees. A bit of surface rust, but not bad shape.
I built a very similar Le Tour III (Japanese built Schwinn) up for my sister in law. It came out pretty nice and it started about where you are at.

Old 09-01-19, 02:36 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Just an old varsity but... serial# A19177 reads 1953? Internet pics looks more 60’s. Which would be cool because my current schwinns are 70’s-80’s.
Kdog, I'm a bit puzzled with that serial #. It's definitely later than early 60's given the round headbadge (appears to be original) came in the mid 60's, paint/decals would also be mid 60's or later, down tube shifters pre '67; I believe it's '64-'66. Obviously, the saddle, bar, stem, and one pedal are not original. The ten speed gears were around '62/63 but different aesthetics. My varsity is '75, but stem shifters.

Quick edit: I forgot to mention that serial numbers started with two letters in '65, thus my confusion with your number, mine starts JL#######; check for painted over letter which may not be easily seen. Where is the serial number located? Left dropout area?

Last edited by HPL; 09-01-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 03:13 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
After some researching seems to be a 66. Pretty cool with the downtube shifters. This is one of those bikes that I’d really like to redo paint and all,bc it would be a fun project. We’ll see.
Old 09-01-19, 03:30 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
After some researching seems to be a 66. Pretty cool with the downtube shifters. This is one of those bikes that I’d really like to redo paint and all,bc it would be a fun project. We’ll see.
Good photo; still odd having that single letter; maybe someone will chime in with another similar serial number. I would get with one or more of the Schwinn sites with serial databases and give them a couple photos; essentially what you've shown (badge, serial, drive side, etc) so they can update their data. Good luck on the rebuilding.
Old 09-02-19, 09:30 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Fat Chance

Saved this in the middle of nowhere Mississippi from an unloving home. Facebook ad was titled "SHIMANO MOUNTAIN BIKE." These are AS IS pictures, before i even washed it off. Notice the spark plug in the pedal hole haha.

Old 09-02-19, 11:21 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by Padgett
Saved this in the middle of nowhere Mississippi from an unloving home. Facebook ad was titled "SHIMANO MOUNTAIN BIKE." These are AS IS pictures, before i even washed it off. Notice the spark plug in the pedal hole haha.
Those are supposed to be decent frames; way to save it from the recycle pile. Not sure what parts are original on it though.
Old 09-03-19, 12:31 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts

Originally Posted by HPL
Those are supposed to be decent frames; way to save it from the recycle pile. Not sure what parts are original on it though.
No supposed to be about it, these are some of the first and best MTB's built by Chris Chance who is building again.

Here's a pic of the OP's same bike, couldn't be more the real deal.

Last edited by merziac; 09-03-19 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 07:22 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
[QUOTE=Padgett;21105093]Saved this in the middle of nowhere Mississippi from an unloving home. Facebook ad was titled "SHIMANO MOUNTAIN BIKE." These are AS IS pictures, before i even washed it off. Notice the spark plug in the pedal hole haha.

[/QUOTE

Wow.
Just wow.
Likes For aeshultz:
Old 09-03-19, 08:26 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Sometimes you need to look past the dirt and look at the bones. This 1993 Specialized Allez Comp with full 105 8 speed group is all original and looks to just have been parked in a barn somewhere since new. Cleaning up nicely and the after picture is going to be awesome.

Last edited by brandenjs; 09-03-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 08:30 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Sometimes you need to look past the dirt and look at the bones. This 1993 Specialized Allez Comp with full 105 8 speed group is all original and looks to just have been parked in a barn somewhere since new. Cleaning up nicely and the after picture is going to awesome.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 09-03-19, 09:08 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett

I live two minutes from a shop that was probably THE Fat Chance dealer in the SE in the 80's & 90's. I'm ALWAYS watching for that FAT that will pop up at some old hippie's garage sale, ha ha! Some bikes have a telltale on the frame that you can spot a mile away. You captured Fat's in one of your pics. Where the seat and chain stays meet the rear dropout, the ends of the stays are kind of pointed. That's the famous "bulleted" Fat Chance stay. There is a cool video of the FC plant somewhere on the web, and it shows the machine that turned the stays to create that. That's most likely also a nice steel Salsa stem. And the spark plug. Fat's are also famous for the sparkplug pedals!
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 09-03-19, 10:32 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
@AngryFrankie Thanks for the info man! Now that you point that out, those chain stays ARE awesome. I sometimes wonder how this bike ended up in Euporia, MS but hey, I am not complaining! I am also always looking for a steal on Facebook marketplace/craigslist etc. and it just payed off big time.
Old 09-04-19, 11:40 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
1980s Concorde Aquila - Sean Kelly / PDM Team colors

Rescued this nice frame this morning. I think it's a late 1980s Concorde Aquila in PDM colors. Found it nearby, not at the dump exactly, but not far from it. Having an Irish father and family, and being named Sean myself, it's hard not to be a Sean Kelly fan (seen him around more than once when I've been training in Mallorca over the years... Uep!).

I don't know too much about team PDM, and I don't have any Italian bikes (though I suppose this would be a Dutch bike despite the frame being made in Italy?). Maybe some Concorde experts can weigh in. What I've found online seems fairly speculative. I have no idea what the frame is worth. I've heard and seen a huge range in it's valuation online.

What I can say though is that this frame feels very light and very responsive. It's nice and straight if a little cosmetically rough. The components are all over the map and a complete mishmash.

I'm not sure what I'd like to do with it. I'm open to ideas. It fits me. If I were to hang on to it and slowly sort it out whilst riding it, any suggestions on what gruppo & wheelset would be most appropriate or most aesthetically awesome? In general I like to keep things more or less period, but aesthetics can win out on that count in some cases. I'm not a stickler.

Thanks for any input.

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 09-04-19, 12:28 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1984 Schwinn Tempo rescued

I picked up this 84 Schwinn tempo for $30. It's the year the tempo debuted and I believe the only year the frame wasn't made from Columbus tenax, frame and fork are both Tange Champion 2. I believe this must have been hanging in a garage for the last 30 years. The tape is slightly worn and severely faded, but the tires still hold air despite being crusty. There is little brake wear on the rims and the lever hoods look good as new. The listing pictures were poor, turns out this was a 19" frame, too small for me, so this will be sold, but not before I take those nice 27" wheels with Araya rims and sunshine gyromaster hubs for my 82 Voyageur SP. This will get an "upgrade" to 700c with some mismatched wheels I've got lying about. It's greasy and dirty, but should clean up real nice.

Old 09-04-19, 07:56 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Rescued this nice frame this morning. I think it's a late 1980s Concorde Aquila in PDM colors. Found it nearby, not at the dump exactly, but not far from it. Having an Irish father and family, and being named Sean myself, it's hard not to be a Sean Kelly fan (seen him around more than once when I've been training in Mallorca over the years... Uep!).

I don't know too much about team PDM, and I don't have any Italian bikes (though I suppose this would be a Dutch bike despite the frame being made in Italy?). Maybe some Concorde experts can weigh in. What I've found online seems fairly speculative. I have no idea what the frame is worth. I've heard and seen a huge range in it's valuation online.

What I can say though is that this frame feels very light and very responsive. It's nice and straight if a little cosmetically rough. The components are all over the map and a complete mishmash.

I'm not sure what I'd like to do with it. I'm open to ideas. It fits me. If I were to hang on to it and slowly sort it out whilst riding it, any suggestions on what gruppo & wheelset would be most appropriate or most aesthetically awesome? In general I like to keep things more or less period, but aesthetics can win out on that count in some cases. I'm not a stickler.

Thanks for any input.

Critical- I don't know much about these frames, but the presence of the tab under the top tube often indicates a pro race team bike, as this tab was the number-plate holder. You might want to check into it's background a bit.
Old 09-07-19, 08:08 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Cyclepro

Interesting find on the curb...everything seems to work as I should. Has had some attention or at least some over attention.
Prob going to a nephew with a new found bike interest.
Not a whole lot of information on it...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 09-09-19, 04:23 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Picked-up some CL freebies this morning after my ride. Got lucky with some clean 105 goodies among other things.

IMG_0028 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 09-09-19, 05:24 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I bought this Miyata 912 a week ago. I gave it a complete overhaul and swapped out the cruiser bars and brakes for drop bars and brakes. The guy I bought it from deals in properties and this was in one of the properties he had. The listing had a couple of bad photos with minimal description of the bike but I was able to determine it was a 912. The size wasn't listed and from the photos I couldn't determine the size. I picked it up for pretty cheap but unfortunately it is too small so I will pass it on.

Old 09-09-19, 05:46 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Nice bike! Since it fits, ride it. Ride it like you stole it. Because, well, aaahh, you know....
Old 09-09-19, 07:36 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Interesting find on the curb...everything seems to work as I should. Has had some attention or at least some over attention.
Prob going to a nephew with a new found bike interest.
Not a whole lot of information on it...
Cycle Pro was the economy house brand for West Coast Cycles that also sold Nishiki brand bikes in the '80s. Okay bikes. Everything got rolled into Raleigh USA when they built the Washington state factory, as I recall.
Old 09-10-19, 04:26 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Cycle Pro was the economy house brand for West Coast Cycles that also sold Nishiki brand bikes in the '80s. Okay bikes. Everything got rolled into Raleigh USA when they built the Washington state factory, as I recall.
Doesn’t seem to be ridden very much...definitely not abused...tires still have the mold ridges on them!
Old 09-10-19, 04:29 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Those tires look like recent replacements. Originals would likely have been gumwalls of the 1.95 variety.
Old 09-10-19, 07:30 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I hit the scrap yard every morning I can. I've pulled some nice bikes out of the pile and seen some real nice bikes get crushed. I get the parts that I can from the wreckage. I keep on forgetting to take pictures of the carnage. But today I have pictures. Slightly off topic but I got to gloat on this one. $13 and I ran out of there like I stole it.

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-10-19, 10:38 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Those tires look like recent replacements. Originals would likely have been gumwalls of the 1.95 variety.
Ooops! Been busy! Mind on auto pilot! Didn’t even think of that!
Old 09-10-19, 03:58 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Picked-up some CL freebies this morning after my ride. Got lucky with some clean 105 goodies among other things.

IMG_0028 by 2cam16, on Flickr
CL Freebies (aftermath, hubby in garage) … Honey have you seen my bike parts? Oh you were going to use those dear?
Likes For ryansu:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.