Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 09-13-19, 10:03 PM
rvp12

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X Comp 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for letting me know , will take a look at it.
Old 09-14-19, 05:11 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Put in a nice leisurely 16.5 miles this morning, Next round of upgrade parts are streaming in. After last weeks single track riding, brakes are getting changed out.

Last edited by GravelGurty; 09-18-19 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 09-14-19, 05:42 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGurty
After last weeks single track riding, brakes are getting changed out.
I'm curious what you're after with brake upgrades. My stock Sirrus Comp X brakes are the best of any bike I've ever owned - smooth, powerful, progressive, and quiet.

- Mark
Old 09-18-19, 03:57 PM
GravelGurty

Originally Posted by markjenn
I'm curious what you're after with brake upgrades. My stock Sirrus Comp X brakes are the best of any bike I've ever owned - smooth, powerful, progressive, and quiet.

- Mark
I agree with you to a point, I also felt that way for quite awhile. The braking seems fine out on the road. In my last two ventures off the pavement/chipseal on the hills/trails, I've had issues with my rear fading out in no time and making tons of noise. I know it's a "hybrid", but I'm not out thrashing single track, just riding easily (mostly trying to not wipe out!).
I was looking at force and ultegra sets, but came across some new GRX calipers for a steal, and picked up a set of saint centerlock rotors.
From day one I haven't liked how cheap the stamped levers feel, I've yet to decide on a replacement. I'd like to get tool less reach adjustment, but still unsure.
Old 09-19-19, 04:27 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Soooo ... a quick preliminary update on my Sirrus X Comp.

As I've mentioned a couple times here, the FS cartridge on mine was defective from the get-go (June of this year): noisy, and with a distinct metallic 'click' whenever it neared full compression. LBS tried a number of different things, to no avail, so ordered a replacement under warranty.

I asked for the version of the cartridge that was on the original Roubaix -- linear, not progressive, spring -- as my bike is and will be used as a 'road bike'. The replacement was done today, and when I went to pick up my bike --

What Specialized sent was the Future Shock 2.0 cartridge, as one gets with the top-end 2020 Roubaix: full hydraulic damping w/a dial that goes from full-open to almost (not quite) lockout. No 'booster springs'. Retrofit more or less seamlessly into my bike with a bit of fiddling; no major bodges required. Initial impressions (short ride home): utterly silent; buttery/silky smooth; looks nicer; ruts/imperfections etc. absorbed fluidly. A complete transformation of the bike, which now 'feels' like what I was expecting when I ordered it.

So: with that, and with change to Roubaix Pro 32 tires, and with brakes sorted: bliss.

I'll update this with a fuller report, and pics, after a few more kms.

Last edited by badger1; 09-20-19 at 06:06 AM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-19-19, 04:59 PM
GravelGurty

Did they give you part numbers??
Old 09-19-19, 05:35 PM
badger1

Did they give you part numbers??
No, and I didn't ask tbh ... don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that!
Old 09-20-19, 03:23 PM
badger1

Apologies for the crap pictures; best I can do at the moment. So, pic 1 is of the bike as at a couple days ago: stock, with the only changes being my preferred contact points -- XT (xc) pedals; Avatar saddle; and Ergon GP2 grips -- along with a new set of my favourite tires, Spec. Roubaix Pro 30/32.

As I've mentioned, I've had a few teething problems such as noisy brakes and so on. These were all addressed; the one outstanding issue was an obviously-defective FS cartridge -- noisy/clicky etc. As noted a couple posts back, this has now been replaced by the FS 2.0 cartridge as supplied on the upper-end 2020 Roubaix. This was an unasked-for treat; it was what was sent by Spec. as a warranty replacement for my 1.0 cartridge. Still early days, but as noted above -- what a difference! Pics 2 and 3 try to show the thing.

Last edited by badger1; 09-21-19 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-21-19, 04:10 PM
GravelGurty

That new future shock looks awesome! Do you think its a touch taller, or an optical illusion on my part?
Old 09-21-19, 04:19 PM
GravelGurty

Originally Posted by mscenic
My Comp X with a few upgrades. New GRX brakes are a big improvement.
Could you ever so kindly provide me with the part number for the rear caliper adapter.. I foolishly thought flat mount meant "direct mount".. Hey guess what the wheel doesn't go back on, I got to put the old stuff in the rear back on so I can still roll this week. Front looks good though, Deore XT 8100 levers enroute.

Last edited by GravelGurty; 09-21-19 at 04:32 PM. Reason: verbage
Old 09-21-19, 04:41 PM
badger1

That new future shock looks awesome! Do you think its a touch taller, or an optical illusion on my part?
I wondered that too, GG, though tbh I didn't do any before/after measuring -- mainly because of course I wasn't expecting this upgrade. It was a complete surprise.

However, on reflection I'm pretty sure actual stack height above the headtube is the same, or within a very few mms. Might actually be around 1 or 2 mms, which you can see in the 'gap' between the bottom of the shroud and the actual headtube, which iirc is very, very slightly greater than the gap was with the stock cartridge. I was actually in my lbs today and looked closely at a 2020 Roubaix Expert: same cartridge/shroud, and that gap is virtually identical, so I expect that's where that very small difference is.

In any case, I still have my preferred slight saddle-bar drop of around 2 cms. I think the main reason for the perceived height difference is the damper knob perched on top; it is itself a good centimetre tall.

BTW, your brake upgrade is pretty much what I'm thinking, though still considering going with Ultegra flat-mount calipers with Ice-Tech and XT levers.

Last edited by badger1; 09-21-19 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 04:58 PM
GravelGurty

Originally Posted by badger1
BTW, your brake upgrade is pretty much what I'm thinking, though still considering going with Ultegra flat-mount calipers with Ice-Tech and XT levers.
make sure you get the flat mount/flat mount adapter for the rear...
Shimano R160D/D after some searching
Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 09-21-19, 05:47 PM
badger1

make sure you get the flat mount/flat mount adapter for the rear...
Shimano R160D/D after some searching
Yep, good to know and thanks. I'm pretty sure my lbs will take care of all that; the crew there is fantastic even with an aging Fred like me! They really know their stuff.

I've been a customer there since I re-started cycling in '02; never shopped anywhere else. Lucky, I guess; reading some of the 'lbs' threads here on teh Biek Forms one would think ... well, you know.
Old 09-21-19, 09:56 PM
rvp12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, good to know and thanks. I'm pretty sure my lbs will take care of all that; the crew there is fantastic even with an aging Fred like me! They really know their stuff.

I've been a customer there since I re-started cycling in '02; never shopped anywhere else. Lucky, I guess; reading some of the 'lbs' threads here on teh Biek Forms one would think ... well, you know.
@badger1 have you considered any other saddles apart from Avatar and also any reviews about Avatar that you can share, I am considering either Avatar or Toupe, will be checking out whether I can get to demo both so that I can decide. Grips is something I want to change, howz Ergon GP2 in terms of comfort to the stock grips ? Any other that you have considered before buying this.
Old 09-22-19, 07:34 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by rvp12
@badger1 have you considered any other saddles apart from Avatar and also any reviews about Avatar that you can share, I am considering either Avatar or Toupe, will be checking out whether I can get to demo both so that I can decide. Grips is something I want to change, howz Ergon GP2 in terms of comfort to the stock grips ? Any other that you have considered before buying this.
Can't be much help, I'm afraid. I've been using Specialized saddles since around '03 or so. They just work for me. Been on the Avatar since '10, and have a new one in a box for when/if this one gives up. I don't think reviews help much re. saddles either, other than as to overall quality of mfg./materials; finding 'the one' really is trial/error. If you can find demos, that's the way to go -- at least initially.

Grips are kind of the same. I've been using Ergon exclusively since they became available in North America -- whenever that was. '07ish maybe? Again, they 'just worked' for me from the get-go. First thing I changed on my '10 Sirrus and again on this new one. I found the stock ones on the '19 particularly awful; they were on the bike for all of the 10 kms or so it took to ride the bike home from my lbs.

Two things about Ergons. First, watch the sizing. They come in 'Small' and 'Large' (or equivalent): the 'Large' really are huge. I use 'Small'. Second: be prepared to fiddle a little with angle. I can now set a new pair by feel/look because I've been using them for so long, but if you get them take an Allen key along with you the first few rides so you can alter the angle a little til they 'feel' right. Remember too that though they are very popular they don't suit everyone.
Old 09-22-19, 12:19 PM
rvp12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay thanks for the reply, I will try to demo Avatar and Toupe and then decide. Yeah even the Ergon I need to try out, looks a little too big for me.
Old 09-24-19, 01:05 PM
TigerG

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings from the UK

I came across this forum when researching all things Sirrus, so hope someone can help ??

I've just been GIVEN a Sirrus Expert Carbon by Specialized after my ten year old Crosstrail with 12,000 miles on it developed a crack in the frame. Well, in truth, they offered me an Elite, but I asked if I could put a few hundred pounds towards a further upgrade and got the Expert, as I wanted a bike with "suspension"

I must admit, it's not as comfortable as my old Crosstrail, and the future shock.......isn't, and it creaks and groans with what I assume is the internal cabling, but hey-ho, it is what it is

Anyway........to get to the point.......I've been reading about how careful you have to be about adding accessories to a carbon bike, to the point I am paranoid about putting a pannier rack on. I've ordered a Topeak Super Tourist Uni pannier rack and a seat post clamp with pannier bolt holes. I'm worried that where the bottom lugs are on the rack will crush the frame where the eyelets are ?? Can anyone reassure me that this won't happen ?? Would it be safer to put a couple of small washers between the frame and the lugs so they are not in contact with each other ?? Are the eyelets carbon on the outside where the bolt head sits or alloy ??

any advice would be warmly welcomed,
cheers,
Graeme
Old 09-25-19, 12:46 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

As I've mentioned, I've had a few teething problems such as noisy brakes and so on. These were all addressed; the one outstanding issue was an obviously-defective FS cartridge -- noisy/clicky etc. As noted a couple posts back, this has now been replaced by the FS 2.0 cartridge as supplied on the upper-end 2020 Roubaix. This was an unasked-for treat; it was what was sent by Spec. as a warranty replacement for my 1.0 cartridge. Still early days, but as noted above -- what a difference! Pics 2 and 3 try to show the thing.

Could you please provide an overhead shot of the FS 2.0 Adjuster Knob.
Old 09-25-19, 09:25 AM
omgar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Has anyone here tried putting 650b wheels on their Sirrus X Comp?
Old 09-25-19, 10:04 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by omgar
Has anyone here tried putting 650b wheels on their Sirrus X Comp?
I haven't, and probably wouldn't, but I don't think there's any technical reason one couldn't.

I think the only restriction might be to stay away from anything in 650b much below a 40mm tire, as that might drop the b/b down a little too low. If I wanted to run really wide tires (anything over 40mm) on the bike -- either road slicks or gravel tires -- I probably would go with 650b. This is pretty common practice now in the 'gravel' world.

But I don't; already binned the stock 38s for 32mm road slicks.
Old 09-26-19, 03:28 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Could you please provide an overhead shot of the FS 2.0 Adjuster Knob.
Glad to oblige; not great, but the best I can do at the mo, Colonel.

Btw, continuing the update, this bike, w/high-quality road tires and this gizmo (FS 2.0) is simply a wonderfully-smooth 'road ride', while being very quick-handling. I've now ridden my '10 Sirrus (same tires/better wheels) back-to-back with this one: night and day as far as my aging/arthritic self is concerned.

Likes For badger1:
Old 09-26-19, 07:50 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Glad to oblige; not great, but the best I can do at the mo, Colonel.

Btw, continuing the update, this bike, w/high-quality road tires and this gizmo (FS 2.0) is simply a wonderfully-smooth 'road ride', while being very quick-handling. I've now ridden my '10 Sirrus (same tires/better wheels) back-to-back with this one: night and day as far as my aging/arthritic self is concerned.
That is a great recommendation for this bike.

My wallet is glad I'm not in the market right now for another bike.
Old 09-27-19, 08:48 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That is a great recommendation for this bike.

My wallet is glad I'm not in the market right now for another bike.
I'd say you have everything pretty much covered with the bikes you have.
Old 09-29-19, 01:02 PM
rvp12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@mscenic The Hunt wheels that you got, I read rave reviews about it, but wanted to know whether the bearings/free hub is noisy. Is it smooth and runs quietly ?
Old 10-01-19, 02:46 PM
Meech33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
Here's my little lady....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.