Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Attaching strapless toe clips to folding pedals MKS FD-7

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 11:51 AM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I like strapless toe clips on my other bikes' pedals. I've tried clipless pedals with SPD cleated shoes and toe clips with straps, but they're harder to get into and out of than the Topeak strapless toe clips. The Topeak toe clips come in 2 sizes to fit different heights of shoe toes, so I recommend that you buy yours at your local bike shop and bring your riding shoes along so you can choose the better size.

The pedals my folding bikes came with were the cheap plastic and steel ones. They're sort of ok, but I couldn't attach toe clips securely. I would have had to use sheetmetal screws into drilled holes, but even then they wouldn't be screwed into a sturdy part of the plastic pedal. After lots of searching, I decided to buy MKS FD-7 alloy folding pedals (with chrome-molybdenum steel axles). These are Japanese products, not cheap Chinese pedals, and the quality shows in the fit, finish, and smooth bearings. I want to explain here how I attached the toe clips.

1. I removed one of the reflectors, which are recessed within a metal rim. They are held in place by split prongs which engage in holes in the alloy frame. Using a small screwdriver, I compressed the prong and pushed the reflector out. I also used a thin blade to finish prying the reflector out once it was dislodged at the prongs. Since one of the reflector holes comes up against the main body block of the folding mechanism, there's very little clearance behind the hole, so little that you can't put a nut there to bolt the toe clip on in the usual manner.
  2. I then cut threads into the holes using a 1/4"-20 x 1/2" thread-cutting screw. Any good hardware store should have these screws. I lubricated the screw with a little smear of grease first. I backed it out once during the threading to clean off accumulated cuttings.
  3. After threading was completed, I backed out the screw and cleaned the screw and hole with a good grease-removing cleaner. I used Windex window cleaner, which leaves no residue, and a paper towel twisted.
  4. I stacked up 4 flat washers to almost fill the depth of the recess as backing for the plastic flange of the toe clip since the clip is too large to fit within the reflector recess but it fits nicely on the rim of the recess. Using a toothpick I aligned the washers with the hole nearest the hinge.
  5. I put another washer under the head of a 1/4"-20 x 3/4" non-threading screw and used it to screw the plastic clip onto the hole nearest the hinge, which is the shallow hole blocked by the folding axle mechanism. I had to ream out the slot of the plastic clip's flange a little for the screw to pass through.
  6. I put 4 more flat washers over the other hole that I had threaded. I took a 1/4"-20 x 1" round head machine screw with a washer under its head and screwed it through the other slot of the toe clip into the open hole of the pedal, but only so far as to reach the end of the pedal frame.
  7. Then I placed a 1/4"-20 nylon-inserted nut over the hole inside the frame so that it would engage the 1" screw as I screwed it the rest of the way. There isn't enough space for a wrench, but the hex sides of the nut will bump up against the pedal frame and not turn as you turn the screw.
  8. For extra security, you could put a drop of threadlock liquid onto the threads of the cleaned screws before you finally screw them in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_1194.jpg (88.9 KB, 332 views)
102_1195.jpg (89.2 KB, 321 views)
102_1197.jpg (91.7 KB, 320 views)
102_1198.jpg (89.3 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by overbyte; 04-20-14 at 08:17 PM. Reason: correction
Likes For overbyte:
Old 04-16-14, 03:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
holes for reflectors are often spaced OK for toe clips .
Old 08-04-17, 02:12 AM
JonnyWheels

Bikes: Gazelle Puur.NL+ (Dutch Opafiets)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing such a detailed explanation and great hack. I'm going to give it a try!
Old 08-04-17, 09:07 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It appears you are only gaining 1 to 1.5" by folding the pedal. I love my a530 Shimano dual purpose clipless/platform pedals. I fold my bike to put in my car but I don't need to remove the outside pedal for that. When shipping I take both pedals and the rear derailleur off my bike.

I have not ridden a folding platform pedal that was reasonably light and felt solid while riding.
Old 08-04-17, 12:11 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'm a big fan of Zefals Mini Clips - have them on both my Brompton stock pedals, and Dahon Speed P8 with MKS-QR pedals. I use Shimano SPDs on my gravel and mountain bike, and love them, but tend to do more walking/sightseeing when using my folders.
Old 08-29-17, 07:44 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the old toe clips/straps on my other bike and I took them off (saved them) for a few years. Missing them so I'm going to be installing some of these strapless toe clips on my new Trex and will reinstall the old straps on my old Diamondback. Thanx for the write up.
Old 08-29-17, 10:20 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I too like strapless clips; but instead of the folding pedals I replaced my Dahon's inexpensive folding pedals with detachable ones. I only need to remove them once in a great while; but it is nice to be able to (without tools).
Mks Mt E Ezy (sadly, I still can't post links; but go to amazon and search for 'em and you won't be disappointed).
Old 09-23-19, 05:29 AM
pitos007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overbyte, How have they performed? I'll be doing a similar hack, so it would be useful to see some feedback from you. My first thought was that they will get scratched easly, since the folding bike frame sits lower than the normal bike.

The gap between frame/wheel and the clip must be very small I guess? I'll review this setup and post some photos once at some point.
Old 09-23-19, 05:13 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You realize that Overbyte posted this 5 years ago. Roger
Old 09-23-19, 05:36 PM
pitos007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
You realize that Overbyte posted this 5 years ago. Roger
Sure, he's had plenty of time to test it. The MKS didn't improve the design to allow fitting toe clips, so the hack is a still valid case.
Old 09-24-19, 08:20 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
My point was he or she may not still be on this forum. You could click on his name and send him a private message. Roger
Old 09-25-19, 04:58 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by pitos007
Sure, he's had plenty of time to test it. The MKS didn't improve the design to allow fitting toe clips, so the hack is a still valid case.
The original poster (OP) hasn't posted in the forums for a few years,...