Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Aging a Centurion Bicycle Works Sport.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 03:11 PM
JaredRestores

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I'm new to the forums and was looking for some help aging a bike I recently found at a thrift shop.

It is a Centurion Bicycle Works Sport. Not the DLX just the Sport with Hi-Tensile tubing. Where I'm getting a bit hung up is that the Centurion brand sticker is on the top tube, not the down tube like I've seen it on almost all Centurion bikes on the internet. The bike also has a metal stamped head badge, not a decal one. So far as I have been able to figure it is from the late 70's but I'm curious if any one here has some expertise that can help me nail down the year.

As a side note I'm going to strip and repaint the bike so I want new decals but the brand logo on my bike isn't in all caps like all replacement decals I've been able to find. Only the C is capitalized. Anyone seen a decal like that before?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

-J
Old 09-29-19, 03:44 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I can't recall seeing Centurion with the brand name on the back of the top tube, so I'm wondering if it has already been re-decaled. Forged drop-outs, a hi-tensile frasme and top tube cable stops is an interesting combination. My gut feel is very late 1970s to very early 1980s. In which case, I would expect the round, metal head badge. If so, this is late enough that we may be able to get more accuracy from the serial number. If it's not on the underside of the bottom bracket shell, check the lower seat tube.

Link to OP's photo; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/15350063
Old 09-29-19, 03:54 PM
JaredRestores

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I can't recall seeing Centurion with the brand name on the back of the top tube, so I'm wondering if it has already been re-decaled. Forged drop-outs, a hi-tensile frasme and top tube cable stops is an interesting combination. My gut feel is very late 1970s to very early 1980s. In which case, I would expect the round, metal head badge. If so, this is late enough that we may be able to get more accuracy from the serial number. If it's not on the underside of the bottom bracket shell, check the lower seat tube.
Thanks for the response. Interesting if it's been re-decaled already but it could be. I wanted to restore as accurately as possible but if the decals were some weird custom job then I'll just use the all caps decals that seem much easier to get. I did try to get an idea from the serial number but the one on the bike is similar but not exactly the same as other examples. Ill post what the serial is once I can get a picture of it. I'll double check the seat tube as well.
Old 09-30-19, 05:14 AM
T-Mar

The font on the decals is correct for the stated time period. It's just that I can't recall seeing the logo in that location.
Old 09-30-19, 06:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
pic assist

Old 09-30-19, 07:38 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Not a Centurion original decal set or color scheme.

Dropout brand?
Old 09-30-19, 07:55 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It's probably one of the German market models. They put "Centurion" on the top tubes of many models. From what I can see, it looks to be late 70s to early 80s. Maybe '79 to '82??
Old 09-30-19, 12:50 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
It could also possibly be a Danish model. The first Centurions appeared on the danish market in the late seventies, and they quickly became a major player. The decal with the capital C, is common on older models with the metal headbadge. In fact I donīt recall seeing any Centurions with all the letters capitalized, untill the introduction of decals insted of metal headbadges. Although not common, I also believe Iīve seen older Centurions with the decal on the top tube. If the brake calipers are original to the bike, Iīm pretty sure, itīs pre 1980.
Old 10-01-19, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

I've seen European market Centurion with the brand name on the top tube, but it was at the front, not the back. Placing it at the back of the top tube is generally considered a marketing faux pas, as the rider's thighs hide part or all of it during the pedal stroke.

If it's a Danish market model, it will evident from the VIN number.