Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 10-08-19, 07:27 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
A few more forum members and we could rent a limo.
Old 10-08-19, 09:47 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
You would think she could reciprocate by letting me get a new eTap groupset. But noooo!
Do you want me to talk to her? You deserve it.

After 10 years to ruminate, eTap seems like a poor choice but I support your final decision.
Old 10-08-19, 10:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
You would think she could reciprocate by letting me get a new eTap groupset. But noooo!
Have you been bringing the bike into the living room to change cables, and cursing loudly every time? Seems like that would work.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 10-08-19, 10:17 PM
sbxx1985 

Birthday present?
Old 10-09-19, 04:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Big trainer intervals at my puny little FTP yesterday got my HR variability into the red zone this a.m., for the first time since I started recording. I will still ride (gently) to work, but doing any work once I get there might be too much. Nice to know the limits.
Old 10-09-19, 06:16 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Speaking of heart rates, my Apple watched reported over 180 minutes a couple nights ago of HR from 37 to 40. That's 18 separate 10 minute events. Last night was 1 event but 3-6 is usual. I've always had a low RHR but these fancy watches make it easy to keep check. My HR was low 40s in my doc's office last week and she was quizzing me about it and I told her about the upper 30s at night and she was concerned

Anyway, combined with an abnormal ecg last week and since I have an arrhythmia and haven't seen my cardiologist for 2 years, my family doc is concerned and wanted me to see my cardiologist immediately. She sent him my ecg and scheduled me for 12/9. We'll probably talk bicycles for 20' or so.

Old 10-09-19, 06:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Speaking of heart rates, my Apple watched reported over 180 minutes a couple nights ago of HR from 37 to 40. That's 18 separate 10 minute events. Last night was 1 event but 3-6 is usual. I've always had a low RHR but these fancy watches make it easy to keep check. My HR was low 40s in my doc's office last week and she was quizzing me about it and I told her about the upper 30s at night and she was concerned

Anyway, combined with an abnormal ecg last week and since I have an arrhythmia and haven't seen my cardiologist for 2 years, my family doc is concerned and wanted me to see my cardiologist immediately. She sent him my ecg and scheduled me for 12/9. We'll probably talk bicycles for 20' or so.
Worth checking out. Glad your cardiologist knows from fitness. Some of these people are non-thinking cookbook types and sweep a lot of borderline cases up in their little algorithms.

Let us know!

Incidentally, this is one reason I don't have a wrist fitness gizmo.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-09-19 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Big trainer intervals at my puny little FTP yesterday got my HR variability into the red zone this a.m., for the first time since I started recording. I will still ride (gently) to work, but doing any work once I get there might be too much. Nice to know the limits.
How are we supposed to rib you about your numbers if you make your training rides private?

I think I've mentioned this before, but one of my life goals, should I ever end up in a hospital bed, is to set off alarms with my RHR. I'm right about where you are - mid-40s typically, dipping in to the mid-30s while asleep.

Oh, and if you're new to the constant monitoring, one of the other nice things with these devices is that they often give you a heads-up on illness. I had forgotten about that over the summer but, on one of my multiple trips to the bathroom the other day, I recalled a non-training induced RHR spike a day or so prior. I'm not sure how actionable the notification is, but... well, there it is.
Old 10-09-19, 06:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Worth checking out. Glad your cardiologist knows from fitness. Some of these people are non-thinking cookbook types and sweep a lot of borderline cases up in their little algorithms.

Let us know!

Incidentally, this is one reason I don't have a wrist fitness gizmo.
My cardiologist knows me well because he always has to sign off whenever I have an ecg which means I have to go see him and that means that we have to talk bikes to fill the appt. up.

I do have left ventricle hypertrophy but he commented after reviewing my new ecg that it was unchanged since my last one in 2017 but I needed to see him anyway.

Old 10-09-19, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

I keep forgetting that tomorrow is new toy day!

Well, I don't know that too many of you would get excited about it, but I am - part of our consolation prize for staying put and not buying a new house is a (relatively small) kitchen renovation. The first part of that is an LG induction range that'll be delivered tomorrow morning. The wife is excited about the oven and general clean-up ease. I'm excited to have cooktop burners with a wide heat range and steady, uniform temps.
Old 10-09-19, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

My cardiologist knows me well because he always has to sign off whenever I have an ecg which means I have to go see him and that means that we have to talk bikes to fill the appt. up.
That sounds like my kind of visit.
Old 10-09-19, 07:14 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
I just got one of those wrist fitness gizmos. Garmin had a good sale and I'm curious to try wrist-based HR.
Old 10-09-19, 07:15 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Well, I don't know that too many of you would get excited about it, but I am - part of our consolation prize for staying put and not buying a new house is a (relatively small) kitchen renovation. The first part of that is an LG induction range that'll be delivered tomorrow morning. The wife is excited about the oven and general clean-up ease. I'm excited to have cooktop burners with a wide heat range and steady, uniform temps.
Old 10-09-19, 08:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I do have left ventricle hypertrophy but he commented after reviewing my new ecg that it was unchanged since my last one in 2017 but I needed to see him anyway.
Old 10-09-19, 08:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I would get certainly excited about that if I didn't have gas.
Old 10-09-19, 09:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
She's no dummy, surely she knows that's a slippery slope.
Old 10-09-19, 11:30 AM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by rjones28
I just got one of those wrist fitness gizmos. Garmin had a good sale and I'm curious to try wrist-based HR.
Me too. Which one did you buy? I've had a Tag for the last 15 years and it's in the shop again. Instead of fixing it, I could just buy a fancy HR watch. Apple Watch doesn't appeal to me.
Old 10-09-19, 12:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
My Garmin watch requires the use of a HR strap. I don't like that.
Old 10-09-19, 01:59 PM
WhyFi

I would get certainly excited about that if I didn't have gas.
The current range is a ****ty electric, but there's a capped gas line already there, too, so we could have went either way. For a long time, I planned on a Viking or a Thermador or the like, but then I became aware of induction. I think that there's good arguments both ways, but one of the big ones for me, just that visceral appeal of caveman fire, has been diminished by the years that I've been without it; if our current range were a crappy gas or if my memories of our middling gas range in Brooklyn weren't 7 years removed, I think the siren song would be much harder to resist. As it is, though, this seems like it's going to be a great balance of performance and practicality (ugh, I'm getting old).
Old 10-09-19, 02:05 PM
WhyFi

Man. That was a hurty ride. Stupid wind is stupid. Dumb hills are dumb, too. And for whatever reason, my legs felt half-cooked less than an hour in to the ride. Maybe I'm not far enough removed from my frequent restroom visits a few days ago and maybe the ride was just a not a good decision from the get-go... but there's the specter of snow and rain this weekend, so whatever - I rode.
Old 10-09-19, 02:08 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Me too. Which one did you buy? I've had a Tag for the last 15 years and it's in the shop again. Instead of fixing it, I could just buy a fancy HR watch. Apple Watch doesn't appeal to me.
You have two wrists.

I like wearing real watches, which is why I went with an activity tracker that's more wristband and less watch - so that I could wear both and not look too dorky.
Old 10-09-19, 02:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

The current range is a ****ty electric, but there's a capped gas line already there, too, so we could have went either way. For a long time, I planned on a Viking or a Thermador or the like, but then I became aware of induction. I think that there's good arguments both ways, but one of the big ones for me, just that visceral appeal of caveman fire, has been diminished by the years that I've been without it; if our current range were a crappy gas or if my memories of our middling gas range in Brooklyn weren't 7 years removed, I think the siren song would be much harder to resist. As it is, though, this seems like it's going to be a great balance of performance and practicality (ugh, I'm getting old).
Yeah, induction is supposed to be very good. We now have a weak little gas counter insert, which is easy to clean, at least and isn't as bad as the stove on the boat. I don't know about the visceral appeal, but a gas flame gives you immediate visual feedback and is very handy for cooking off dirty brake pads.
Old 10-09-19, 02:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Man. That was a hurty ride. Stupid wind is stupid. Dumb hills are dumb, too. And for whatever reason, my legs felt half-cooked less than an hour in to the ride. Maybe I'm not far enough removed from my frequent restroom visits a few days ago and maybe the ride was just a not a good decision from the get-go... but there's the specter of snow and rain this weekend, so whatever - I rode.
Well, it impressed the hell out of me.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-09-19, 02:32 PM
WhyFi

Well, it impressed the hell out of me.
I did it all for the kudos.
Old 10-09-19, 03:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Busy day. I had to cancel my usual club ride due to rain. But the rain was not too heavy, so I got on the SS and rode the trails into Philadelphia. I did get wet but still was fun. I got some gore shoe covers from ScamBay and they did a great job keeping my feet warm and dry. After the ride mrs datlas and I had a date, we went to Barnes & Nobel for a couple hours, then to Trader Joe's for shopping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.