Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton back from the shop...rides worse...argh!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton back from the shop...rides worse...argh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 04:52 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I have a feeling that the work that was done, was mostly done well.
The cables, changing chain, cranks, pedal....etc were done well. Even if I'm not sure how necessary they were.

My main question would be---why would my hub be stuck in mid shift after only one cog was changed?
Also, after things were "suboptimal", why was a $1000 "drivetrain replacement" and rear triangle replacement recommended?
And, why didn't they know that 2007 was compatible with the new wheel, as it's a mk4 frame?
Old 10-08-19, 05:35 PM
mlau

Just some questions....but then again, I'm not a bike mechanic.
Old 10-08-19, 07:47 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You said in post #23 , "... I am loathed to slander another business ..."

Unless there is serious fraud done by said LBS, then it is ok to post as warning others. Otherwise best to move on.
Old 10-09-19, 11:31 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
I have a feeling that the work that was done, was mostly done well.
The cables, changing chain, cranks, pedal....etc were done well. Even if I'm not sure how necessary they were.
My main question would be---why would my hub be stuck in mid shift after only one cog was changed?
Also, after things were "suboptimal", why was a $1000 "drivetrain replacement" and rear triangle replacement recommended?
And, why didn't they know that 2007 was compatible with the new wheel, as it's a mk4 frame?
My guess:
a) because they screwed up the IGH somehow / or didn't adjust the shifter cable accordingly
b) They knew. "If you wanted to go ahead with the repair we would pull a wheel off our stock bike for you so you wouldn't have to wait any longer"

Also I re-read the post and they said "These additional costs would bring the total to nearly $1000". So they did not ask for extra $1000, they asked for extra $400.
So if you went on with a full repair you'd get a new rear wheel, cables, pedals, shifters, bottom bracket, crankset and rear hinge for $1000.
I think the parts cost around $400 so they charged ~$600 for labor cost. Which may be acceptable considering the cost of living there (I guess)

In my country one can get a dental implant for as low as $300 per tooth(My wife has DDS degree too). How much is it in US?
Old 10-09-19, 12:02 PM
mlau

Originally Posted by Raxel
My guess:
a) because they screwed up the IGH somehow / or didn't adjust the shifter cable accordingly
b) They knew. "If you wanted to go ahead with the repair we would pull a wheel off our stock bike for you so you wouldn't have to wait any longer"

Also I re-read the post and they said "These additional costs would bring the total to nearly $1000". So they did not ask for extra $1000, they asked for extra $400.
So if you went on with a full repair you'd get a new rear wheel, cables, pedals, shifters, bottom bracket, crankset and rear hinge for $1000.
I think the parts cost around $400 so they charged ~$600 for labor cost. Which may be acceptable considering the cost of living there (I guess)

In my country one can get a dental implant for as low as $300 per tooth(My wife has DDS degree too). How much is it in US?
Maybe I misread the email?
I'll check in with these guys sometime. If it's $1000 for a super overhaul, that's not too bad. If it was $1600, that...wouldn't be worth it.
And no...they weren't going to pull off a wheel from a stock bike. They weren't sure that it'd be compatible.

It'd cost waaaaaaaay more for an implant here.
Were you in Guatemala?
Old 10-09-19, 02:49 PM
Raxel

It'd cost waaaaaaaay more for an implant here.
Were you in Guatemala?
I live in south Korea.. we have ridiculously good healthcare system. Walk-in clinics in every other building, and we rarely pay more than $10 for each visit.
On the flip side, dentists and doctors are making much less money. :[

Last edited by Raxel; 10-09-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 03:01 PM
mlau

I live in south Korea.. we have ridiculously good healthcare system. Walk-in clinics in every other building, and we rarely pay more than $10 for each visit.

South Korea probably has the highest number of dental implants placed in the world.
While I much prefer the American or German implant systems, they do know their stuff.

It's probably also safe to assume that you and your wife are very good looking.
Old 10-09-19, 03:03 PM
mlau

FWIW, It would cost me at least $600 to place an implant (implant, staff, disposables, etc)...not including impression parts for crown, the crown, the abutment, etc.
I'd assume its much cheaper where you're at.
Old 10-09-19, 03:20 PM
Raxel

South Korea probably has the highest number of dental implants placed in the world.
While I much prefer the American or German implant systems, they do know their stuff.
It's probably also safe to assume that you and your wife are very good looking.
I think almost everyone get their teeth corrected here. Plastic surgery is also quite cheap, and many girls get double eyelid surgery.
Getting orthognathic surgery (purely for cosmetic) is a recent trend here *cringe*
Old 10-09-19, 04:08 PM
mlau

I think almost everyone get their teeth corrected here. Plastic surgery is also quite cheap, and many girls get double eyelid surgery.
Getting orthognathic surgery (purely for cosmetic) is a recent trend here *cringe*
Yeah, I've read about that.

Generally, I can see the Korean patients immediately by how their teeth are done.
It's either very high quality gold work (as was taught by Americans in the 1970's), or really mediocre ceramic work (that all looks the same).

The irony about the gold work, is that it's very hard to find an American dentist that can do that caliber of work.
Out of 1000 dentists, I know maybe 5-7 people that can do that stuff.
It's not taught in schools anymore.