Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Worth more whole or in parts? - Centurion "Miami Vice"

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 03:46 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on what this is worth and if it is worth more if sold as parts...
I’ve got a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert "Miami Vice" that I’ve had since high school (~1996). Previous owner upgraded many of the parts and I’m wondering if the parts are more valuable than the bike as a whole. Some of the parts I can find comparibles on eBay. But finding the value of some things, especially the cranks is a little tricky. Always kept indoors, but ridden without being pampered over the years.

Frame: 58cm (c-t) some rust and wear here and there
Front derailluer: 105 (stock)
Rear derailluer: Dura-Ace 7 speed (12-26 cassette)
Shifters: Dura-Ace downtube shifters (rear is indexed)
Cranks: “Cook’s 176mm” with 52-42 Shimano chainrings
Wheels: Campagnolo “Omega 19” laced to Dura-Ace hubs front and rear
Seat post: Campagnolo “Brev. Inter”
Seat: Vetta Suede (stock)
Brakes/levers: 105 (stock) rear lever missing small plastic piece under hood. Hoods are misfitted because these were "emergency replacements" about a decade ago.
Headset: 105 (stock) with crack in plastic seal (always covered in Lizard skin since I bought it)
Bar/Stem: Nitto (stock)

Pictures below

Let me know what other information you need. I can upload more pictures (i.e. Serial number, etc) if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Namnad510; 10-09-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 04:31 PM
Namnad510

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Last edited by Namnad510; 10-09-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 08:41 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Parts. There's really nothing much original about it anymore. Sell the frame complete with forks, headset and bottom bracket.
Old 10-09-19, 10:05 PM
Namnad510

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Crankset value is EASY. Just look at completed auctions that SOLD, ranked highest first.
Thanks for the advice. I’m having trouble finding the equivalent cranks on any auction sites. Any suggestions for how to find them? Scouring these forums I saw one similar pair in the “Favorite Cranksets gallery” which called them Cook Bros Track cranks, but even using that as a search term I can’t find any for sale or in completed listings that match. Any other search suggestions?

I got a picture of the serial number this evening after work.

Old 10-10-19, 07:16 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Nice!

YEs - in this case, worth more as a part out --

but as a keeper, i'd replace the remaining 105 parts with Dura Ace , swap the post out for either a Dura Ace if you can find one, or a black Control Tech or something similar to extend the theme from the black crankset and ride off into the sunset --- The crankset is a period correct upgrade and looks cool on the bike.
Old 10-10-19, 11:48 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
WRK101 nailed it as usual. He has tons of experience with eBay so I take his comments seriously. The frame is sadly in need of TLC, but it is an awesome frameset. I owned one and sold it due to lack of space but would have kept it if I could. The ride was uber-smooth.
Old 10-10-19, 05:33 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Part it out. You won't get a real lot for the frameset. I paid $100 a few years ago for the frame, fork and headset which was in perfect condition.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 10-10-19, 05:36 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Parts. There's really nothing much original about it anymore. Sell the frame complete with forks, headset and bottom bracket.
Re: bottom bracket. I see people leaving it with the frame but my thinking is it’s better with the cranks (assuming the chainline is good). A 68mm English shell takes any English BB but those Cooks cranks are going to want the spindle length of that BB. Saves the buyer a lot of trial and error when installing in the next 68mm shell frame.

If those Cooks cranks are the same as Cook Bros, they likely have quite a high value in the vintage BMX market.
Old 10-11-19, 06:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
In this expired sales ad I found a little info about Cook's.

CQP Cook's Dogbone Crankset: 176mm - Milled - 110/74mm - 46/36/24t - Bike Recyclery

This 1st gen Cook's Quality Products crankset was the original "Dogbone" crank. These came out of Gary Cook's workshop, whereas the Cook Brothers CBR/RSR Dogbone crank was based on Gary's design but produced by Jack Whitmer under Cook Brothers Racing (which Jack bought from Gary Cook in 1982).
Old 10-11-19, 09:25 PM
Namnad510

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
In this expired sales ad I found a little info about Cook's.

CQP Cook's Dogbone Crankset: 176mm - Milled - 110/74mm - 46/36/24t - Bike Recyclery

This 1st gen Cook's Quality Products crankset was the original "Dogbone" crank. These came out of Gary Cook's workshop, whereas the Cook Brothers CBR/RSR Dogbone crank was based on Gary's design but produced by Jack Whitmer under Cook Brothers Racing (which Jack bought from Gary Cook in 1982).
Thank you! This is awesome. I thought they must be older than the CQP cranks I’ve seen around that are labeled C.Q.P., and I found a couple scans of announcements from ‘88 or ‘89 that looked similar, but this is spot on.
Old 10-14-19, 09:39 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Namnad510,
Is that picture just a bit altered, or do I see a potential separation of the down tube starting to form? If so the frame is trash! JMHO, MH