Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 09:32 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Some valid points I can go along with. Although I'm not sure why a person needs to pay a monthly subscription to ride a stationary bike or on a bike trainer indoors.

Just throw on the head phones some good music and let 'er rip!!!
I used to do this and use the Kurt Kinetic software but it just got too boring TV isn't an option where I can set up my trainer. Couldn't go more than 30 minutes without just quitting. Then I tried Zwift and its just more engaging and keeps me going. I still won't do over 90 minutes but it helps. Interaction is a fun way to pass the riding time for the 4 months a year when I do use Zwift. For the $60 I pay for my winter riding season I really think its worth it. $60 isn't a huge investment really when I think about what my wife pays for her gym membership is WAY more than that. I hated going to the gym....not a place for me I guess.

I will say though I wanted to get the 100 mile ride jersey on Zwift, took me 7 hours on a blizzard day. Horrible day of riding in my basement. That was a mentally painful day, but I got it done.
Old 01-21-19, 06:13 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Well, I gave Zwift a try and an opportunity to lure me in. Used up my free time yesterday and decided to pay for at least a month. Even the process to do that was at best, tedious.
Fast forward to today, go to log in and tells me my password doesn't match. BS, I use a password manager and it was saved the previous day. I made the change via reset email. Finally get in only to find out there was no record of my enrollment.
Needless to say, I find this application a pain. I'll log in again tomorrow to make sure my credit card info and my 'membership' is not recorded. The semi-realistic background tied to riding variables cool, but not worth all the aggravation.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 01-21-19, 08:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I paid for it, used it twice, and then contracted a nasty cold.
Old 01-21-19, 08:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Well, I gave Zwift a try and an opportunity to lure me in. Used up my free time yesterday and decided to pay for at least a month. Even the process to do that was at best, tedious.
Fast forward to today, go to log in and tells me my password doesn't match. BS, I use a password manager and it was saved the previous day. I made the change via reset email. Finally get in only to find out there was no record of my enrollment.
Needless to say, I find this application a pain. I'll log in again tomorrow to make sure my credit card info and my 'membership' is not recorded. The semi-realistic background tied to riding variables cool, but not worth all the aggravation.
I assume your using a laptop?

I use my ipad and haven't logged in to anything in 2 years. I hope I don't get logged out because I have no idea what my password is anymore.
You got me nervous now.....
Old 01-21-19, 08:55 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I assume your using a laptop?

I use my ipad and haven't logged in to anything in 2 years. I hope I don't get logged out because I have no idea what my password is anymore.
You got me nervous now.....
Yes, I was using a laptop. Occasionally running an HDMI cable to an older 42" Sony TV about ten feet away. Mostly just used the laptop directly in front of me on a stand.
Old 01-21-19, 08:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

If you know the email address used, you can do a password reset from the website.
Old 01-22-19, 04:56 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by wgscott
If you know the email address used, you can do a password reset from the website.
Yup.
Old 01-22-19, 09:49 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Some valid points I can go along with. Although I'm not sure why a person needs to pay a monthly subscription to ride a stationary bike or on a bike trainer indoors.

Just throw on the head phones some good music and let 'er rip!!!
No one needs to pay it, but it does make riding indoors much more enjoyable. I can think of far worse ways to spend one's money.
Old 01-24-19, 12:14 PM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To be fair I would just pay for it in the winter months, November - March that way you can still ride when there is snow outside!
Old 01-24-19, 12:29 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by monstorr
To be fair I would just pay for it in the winter months, November - March that way you can still ride when there is snow outside!
Fat Bike. Get outdoors...
Old 04-11-19, 11:45 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

This one sounds interesting too if it comes out this summer. Not sure anyone will want to use it when you could ride outside though =/
Old 04-11-19, 12:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by monstorr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0EekLVfmqk

This one sounds interesting too if it comes out this summer. Not sure anyone will want to use it when you could ride outside though =/
I wound up paying for 2 months of Zwift, and used it about 5 times. First, because as soon as it got marginally nice, I wanted to ride outside, and the second time I had some nasty respiratory infection that made doing anything on a bike, inside or out, nearly impossible, so I squandered the second month completely.

If I could pay by the mile or days used, that would be ideal.
Old 04-11-19, 12:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by OBoile
I can think of far worse ways to spend one's money.
You wouldn't by any chance be my wife's sock-puppet account?
Old 10-10-19, 12:59 AM
NeanderThaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a free alternative to Zwift, you can try VirtualWorldCycle. It is completely free. But it is still in very early development, so a lot of features are missing.
But it works for me. You can control the restistance of your trainer by phone, which is most important for me (and not paying anything )
Old 10-10-19, 01:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
My Zwift free trial, which I was beginning to hope would be perpetual, has now come to a conclusion.

The last time I coughed up the bucks, I bought two consecutive months for $20. Then it got nice out.

Now it is $15/mo and auto-renew, which scares me a bit (the auto-renew, not the price hike). We are down to one salary at the moment, so I find myself feeling a bit cheap, but buckets of water keep getting chucked down from the sky.

So with my dumb trainer and ANT+ speed/cadence meter and dongle, and my Mac Mini, I am wondering if there are any competitors out there who may be hungry enough to offer a free trial?

I'll likely just pay the ransom unless someone has a better idea.
You could do commercial intervals.
Old 10-10-19, 05:46 AM
RJD253

Bikes: Lynskey Sportive, Cannondale F1000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FulGaz offers a 14 day free trial.
Old 10-10-19, 08:38 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I did a comparison between BKool and Zwift in the electronics section of this forum.

I love BKool's ability to import ride data directly from Strava (but you have to have premium accounts in both for this to work) so I can race myself and challenge others on local routes. I also love BKools drafting features as if you get behind anyone you can draft them; unlike Zwift where if a group ride goes by you most likely won't get any drafting effect.

However, I enjoy the graphics in Zwift better. BKool has no "Power ups" to help you ride like Zwift does, but like Zwift if you need to you can set a slope reduction percentage so hills aren't as hard (I have not ever used this and some of the hilly routes in BKool are real tough).

BKool allows monthly billing I believe and is less expensive than Zwift.
Old 10-10-19, 11:50 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RJD253
FulGaz offers a 14 day free trial.
My wife found this one and we like it better than Zwift. The video game aspect of Zwift isn’t as nice as real-world ride videos that FulGaz has.
Old 10-20-19, 11:58 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Rouvy is another one. I couldnt' figure out how it worked, though (and me a tech guy in an IT department...)

Edit: I went back to Rouvy last night. Without starting it up to do a ride, it looks like it's camera footage of a ride. No companions, it seems to be for those who want to ride solo. But it's not computer-generated scenery, it's the real stuff. And it looks like it'll feed your ride to Strava. And it's less than half the price of Zwift.
I'm in my 2nd year on Rouvy. Like @BlazingPedals says, the video is actual camera footage, and there are rides from many countries all over the world. I ride on Elite B+ Digital Smart Rollers, and the experience is almost like being there. The video is sync'd with GPS data, so as you ride and watch the scenery on the screen, the roller resistance increases and decreases as you ride up and down hills.

Nothing beats riding outside, but when it's wet and cold I'd rather be inside on my rollers riding to Rouvy.
Old 10-20-19, 02:39 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I used Zwift last year for 2 mos. Mostly for the interval workouts, didn't care for the computer gen graphics. So I started to look for something else. I came upon Veloreality. Software is free to download, but you must the videos. Pricing starting at $12 and up. Most in 1080HD and they are adding 4K video. Ride from around USA and Europe. So I purchased 2 and was impressed. This Summer, they had a sale and bought 2 more. Rently, I bought Alpe d' huez. The software connects to smart trainers and ant+ devices. You can read the review in dcrainmaker.com.

VR does not contain workouts, but you can create your own, was the only draw back. To solve that issue, an little research turned up Goldencheetah. Free software, to track more metrics, than I understand. But, you can down load 5000+ workouts and import into GC from ERGdb.

So, now I am setup, to free ride and workout indoors this winter, basically free. My rides from VR are imported into GC. and these files can be exported to Strava.

So far , the real world scenery is great (VR) and I'm replacing my 20" monitor with a 40".KB
Old 10-21-19, 11:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
We have Rouvy, which has many good features and the video is much more interesting, at least for someone over 40 who didn't grow gaming, than the silly Zwift environments. However, not all the Rouvy videos are high quality and the feed can be balky for anything you can't download, especially at high bike speeds. Also, Zwift provides much better visuals for structured workouts (and their developers can write English). Most importantly, the social/competitive aspect of Zwift makes it easy for me to kill a couple of hours at high effort on the trainer, which nothing else can.

Oh, and this may seem minor, but Zwift allows you to warm up your trainer, stop, do a spin-down, and resume a ride. I really like that.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-21-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 06:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I'll likely just pay the ransom unless someone has a better idea.
Mississippi State basketball games. You can take all the frustration that builds from watching them and use it to fuel a really strong workout.

Every out of control drive, every forced pass they traffic, and every moving screen provides continued fuel from start to end.