Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big Shoes and Flat Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 07:48 AM
robpiat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Shoes and Flat Pedals

I wear between a 15 and 16 in regular shoes. It seems the only thing I can find in stock in the US is the sidi genius 7 which are too much $$$ for starting out. Shimano makes up to a 52 but only UK/Euro sellers seem to have it in stock. They are less than half the price of the sidi.

I was OK in a 51 sidi but i understand the shimanos run a little smaller. Aside from watching ebay, any tips?

For the time being, can you recommend a set of flats that are clip/strap compatible?
Old 03-26-18, 11:10 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would say that Shimano shoes are actually larger than the same size sidi, although my experience is with far smaller shoes.

If you get flat pedals and want to use straps, make sure you don't get those pedals with traction aids on the pedal - the top surface should be smooth so you don't get stuck.
Old 03-26-18, 12:22 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
When I look at zappo's they have shimano and PI's in size 15 and 16. If you aren't positive about the size of shoe that fits you, then get if from a store that has a good return policy.

Also I don't think that I would use a shoe like the Sidi Genius 7 on a platform pedal, if I had to go with Sidi, I would use the Dominator with a platform pedal
Old 03-26-18, 12:51 PM
robpiat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I was going to use the platform pedals till I could find the right road shoes. This is going on a road bike.

I understand that I could use MTB shoes/ SPD pedals but that the road pedals are a bit more secure?

Good catch on the PI. I ordered some on amazon to try with free returns
Old 03-26-18, 08:17 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

I use SPD on all of my road bikes, I want to be able to walk off the bike without looking like a duck waddling.

Just one last thought, in my opinion Sidi's are worth the money. For me they were great because they come in mega widths and I have wide feet, so these are some of the most comfortable shoes for me.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 03-26-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 08:33 PM
robpiat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that have used both can you explain the difference in riding and clipping in / out with spd vs spd sl?
Old 03-26-18, 09:36 PM
cyclist2000

I haven't used SPD-SL but they appear to be similar to a look pedal and are single sided.

I found this link A Beginner?s Guide to Clip-less Pedals. - a Bike Culture article on Cyclorama

it may be helpful.

I haven't used the road bike cleat (3-bolt) in quite a long time, again the reason is that they are hard to walk in. I like the recessed cleats on spd shoes, these are walkable when off the bike be cause the cleat is recessed. I understand that there is some advantage with the road cleat be cause it is larger that there is less hot spot caused from the pedal, but I think that if you get a shoe with a very rigid sole, the rigid sole reduced the hot spots be cause it spreads the pressure across the entire sole.
Old 03-27-18, 02:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a couple Ergon pedals .. their large version is pretty ping pong paddle sized, to ride wearing pretty normal street shoes..
Old 03-27-18, 02:55 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by robpiat
For those that have used both can you explain the difference in riding and clipping in / out with spd vs spd sl?
The SPD is made to be easier to clip out of and apparently in for the MTB community. I actually find them harder to clip into on the fly than my road SPD-SL. BUT that could be due to my having spent about 10 years using the SL pedals vs my relatively new (2 years) and limited experience using the SPD pedals and therefore my familiarity with them. The SPD-SL afford you a larger contact area and a more secure clip in which only really matters when you're really cranking on the pedals like in a sprint. If you're 'just riding along' all the time, then the SPD pedals will afford you more flexibility with shoe options for when you're off the bike, and if necessary, pedal options for riding with normal shoes as well. I'm actually going back to flat pedals on my MTB because I find myself more these days just using it for cruising with my kids and so having to used the proper shoes all the time has become a PITA
Old 04-05-18, 09:02 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Here- gives you options, flat or clipless.
Attached Images

Last edited by Patriot1; 04-05-18 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Wrong answer