Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stick on bi-focal lenses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stick on bi-focal lenses

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 04:49 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Stick on bi-focal lenses

I bought Hydrotac stick on lenses for my Rudy Project cycling glasses. But I am having no luck getting them to stick. Trying to find an alternative.
Anyone have any leads?
Thanks!
Old 06-04-18, 05:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I just wear sunglasses over my regular bifocals.
Old 06-04-18, 05:55 PM
Brad_AZ

Bikes: Brodie Remus Flat, Pure Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are OK replacing the glasses (not looking for stick on alternatives) I've been pretty happy with these.

Bifocal Riding Glasses :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Old 06-04-18, 06:22 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a pair of Dual Eyewear sunglasses a year ago. They have reader lenses on the bottom. Mine came with both smoke and amber lenses, a carry bag and hard case. I wear bifocals and these work extremely well for me. They are not polarized but from what I have heard, polarized lenses do not work very well when viewing the bike computer screen. You can check out their website or also check Amazon. The prices are quite good IMO.
Old 06-04-18, 08:59 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I have posted some where I went to Walmart and they did perscription sun glasses for me for about $100. Probably not a huge fashion statement, but they work fine. Us old people need the bifocals to see tiny wires and goathead thorns if we get flats.
Old 06-05-18, 03:20 AM
sollys19xx

Bikes: Juliusseive

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear sunglasses
Old 06-05-18, 03:44 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I just use some of these ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EJY1G..._t3_B00FZQ8JKW

If you want different shades

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-voltX....c100005.m1851
Old 06-05-18, 07:17 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Dual sunglasses are a good choice if you don't need prescription. I wear a script, and for a while I carried a pair of folding reading glasses in my seatbag/camelback to use for close up repairs, etc, before just ponying up for some progressive bifocal lenses for my riding glasses...
Old 06-05-18, 07:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I commute in my street glasses (Tri-focals) with a strap and I carry clip on/flip up sunglasses for when I need them (seldom). For longer, messier rides, I wear the previous pair of glasses with clip on/flip up sunglasses as needed.

By the way, when I first needed a reading portion to my glasses I used the Hydrostac stick on "bifocals" They helped me figure out I wanted the reading portion, way down low. I took a photo of where they were and showed it to the optician.
Old 06-05-18, 10:19 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
They stay stuck on my lenses, even when rinsing under the tap.

Are your lenses very curved? That might be the problem. If so, you might try trimming the stick-on way down with a razor knife, like I did. (scissors don't work.) I only want the handlebar area in close focus. This is actually one stick-on, cut in half, then trimmed more.

The stick-ons need a drop of water when applying.

My single vision (for distance) prescription inserts aren't very curved, compared to the Rudy interchangeable lens in front:

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-05-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:30 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Dual sunglasses are a good choice if you don't need prescription. I wear a script, and for a while I carried a pair of folding reading glasses in my seatbag/camelback to use for close up repairs, etc, before just ponying up for some progressive bifocal lenses for my riding glasses...
I've always had progressives for my regular glasses. But my bike sunglass insert is distance only. They couldn't do a tiny bifocal area, so I still use stick-ons for the close vision area. (My eye doctor told me +2.0 would be the correct one to go with my distance prescription.)

I wouldn't want a progressive on the bike. I need either arm's length vision for the bike computer or long distance vision, but very little medium distance. It took a ride or two to get used to the line in my vision, but after that, my eyes instantly adjusted as I switched glasses. It's interesting how your vision adjusts on the fly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-05-18 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. they stick fine to glass.. I added them to shop safety glasses ...

already owned..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-18 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 12:23 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I just buy reader sunglasses. All manner of price ranges from Amazon or other sites, from $13 bucks on up. I drop glasses, break em, leave them laying, get scratched...everytime I've bought some expensive sunglasses, or readers, I've found 2 things:

1. I don't see any benefit from the expensive over the cheap as far as durability. I've worn a cheap pair for a couple years, and had expensive ones break in a matter of months.
2. The more expensive they are is in direct proportion to how likely I am to lose them, sit on them, or drop and scratch them.

And @ fietsbob I have some cheap shop safety glasses I ride in too, that come with readers on the bottom. Some clear for dark cloudy days, some tinted like sunglasses.
Old 06-05-18, 01:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad_AZ
If you are OK replacing the glasses (not looking for stick on alternatives) I've been pretty happy with these.

Originally Posted by Brad_AZ

Whew, awfully cheap. I assume those are just magnified glasses, and clear on top. But, perhaps worth trying.

Originally Posted by rydabent
As I have posted some where I went to Walmart and they did perscription sun glasses for me for about $100. Probably not a huge fashion statement, but they work fine. Us old people need the bifocals to see tiny wires and goathead thorns if we get flats.
My last pair of glasses came from Walmart. By the time I got them, I was in over $500 (so much for their discount glasses).

Then when they broke about a year later, I went back and was informed that they wouldn't repair my glasses.

After a bit of experimenting, I'm getting pretty proficient at glasses repair.

I currently am wearing progressives. It took me a while to get used to the focus of the ground with the progressives, but am getting pretty good with it now. I do like seeing gravel and obstructions on the ground in front of me (narrow road tires).

I can't say what a short focal length magnified lens would be like.

I'd probably do best riding with distance only glasses. The only thing I really have troubles with is the time on the top of my phone.
Old 06-05-18, 08:28 PM
welshTerrier2

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using these bi-focal (readers) sunglasses for more than two years: https://www.readers.com/The-Lighthou...ml?on=Tortoise

They've been great and you can't beat the price if they're still available.

Here's a ton more (you'll have to copy and paste the url below because the bike forum software seems to be causing truncation of the address):

https://www.readers.com/2.00-power-readers.html?sc[Bifocals]=291&sc[Tint]=293&sort=orderby&page=1&h=eyIyOTEiOiIyOTEiLCIyOTMiOiIyOTMiLCJzb3J0Ijoib3JkZXJieSIsInBhZ2UiOjF9

I had gotten to the point where I couldn't see my bike computer, cue sheets, phone, etc and now I can. I don't need anything for distance.

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 06-05-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 06:46 AM
mikeoclt

Bikes: Old like me: 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1991 Stumpjumper, 1992 Trek 930, Vicious Cycles Motivator SS, Novara Mazama

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several options here. I use the elvex & crossfire for bicycle & motorcycle. Link below

bifocal safety glasses
Old 06-06-18, 07:25 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
...I wouldn't want a progressive on the bike. I need either arm's length vision for the bike computer or long distance vision, but very little medium distance. It took a ride or two to get used to the line in my vision, but after that, my eyes instantly adjusted as I switched glasses. It's interesting how your vision adjusts on the fly.
It hasn't been a problem for me, but I can see where it might be.
Old 06-06-18, 07:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Saftey glasses are made with bi-focal readers at the bottom and many different magnification strengths. I use the tinted ones for bright daytime and clear for nighttime or very overcast days. Different brands fit differently so you might have to try several to find the ones you like.

At less than 10 dollars each, I can step on them or run them over and not care. I just grab another pair out of the box.

They are very hard to find locally, but online places have them. I've used this retailer since the mid 2000's. SafetyGlassesUSA.com

There are many other safety glasses retailers online. All have bi-focal versions. Some offer prescription service too if you need more than just safety glasses with bifocal readers.
Old 06-01-19, 04:26 AM
ChesterWallace

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear sunglasses.
Old 06-01-19, 07:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Foster-Grant has their SunReaders(tm) line of sunglasses...
https://fostergrant.com/store/readin...rs/shake-black

I found a pair at my local multi-store and have been using them for a couple of years.