Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Eggbeater pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-10-18, 06:24 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Currently have some dual sided Shimano pedals on my gravel bike. They’re okay. But not great at shedding mud and heavy. Heavy is not a huge concern but lighter would be nice. Considering eggbeaters. Wondering what others experience is with eggbeaters. The eggbeater 1 look fine to me. I don’t see a huge difference betweeen the 1 and 3. Any other pedals I should consider?
Old 06-10-18, 06:48 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I run them on all of my bikes. I have three different sets including originals and Candy 3s. The Candy's were given to me to try out when I first considered going clipless, but I prefer the regular types instead in all conditions...road, commute, gravel, mountain.

Keith
Old 06-10-18, 07:56 AM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode them for a while, but then bought a bike with SPDs. I keep saying I’m going to get the egg beaters again when my SPDs wear out... but I don’t think they’ll ever wear out.

The Egg Beaters are much more robust than they appear. Easy to clip in and out of. I don’t really have anything negative to say about them. I think you’ll like them.
Old 06-10-18, 09:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there is your Crank Brothers , and the Time ATAC,
as better pedals in muddy conditions.

I'm post clipless pedals entirely, now, but liked the Time I had.. with them..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 09:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've used, & been happy with eggbeaters for years.

Recently put SPDs on the Cx bike as I was not liking the clipping in w/ Candys. Not much difference in that respect- poor technique I guess.

Had to crank down the tension to not accidentally come unclipped. They don't shed mud as well but are very sturdy. Also came with some sock/leg slicing sharp edges that needed filing.

I ride to a spin class so it's handy to have SPD cleats then.

The biggest difference is that eggbeaters are very "floaty"- takes a bit to get used to coming from other pedals. I haven't had any mech problems with them.

I have eggbeater #1 and #3 - functionally the same but #3 have better bearings so may last longer.
Old 06-10-18, 11:21 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Currently have some dual sided Shimano pedals on my gravel bike. They’re okay. But not great at shedding mud and heavy. Heavy is not a huge concern but lighter would be nice. Considering eggbeaters. Wondering what others experience is with eggbeaters. The eggbeater 1 look fine to me. I don’t see a huge difference betweeen the 1 and 3. Any other pedals I should consider?

thanks all all for the input. It’s worth a try getting the eggbeater 1s and seeing how I like them as their not expensive
Old 06-10-18, 11:36 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
You can regularly get top-tier SPDs like XTR for the price of middling/low tier CBs. The CBs are a clever design, but have no adjustment in the pedal at all...and IMHO feel sloppy. The Shimanos are easier to rebuild and tend are darn durable too, in addition to having better power transfer IMHO..

If you need more float than the 6* of SPDs...Time ATACs are a great pick as well.

Also....SPDs don't eat your shoes up....Crank Brothers need sole protector plates to protect the shoe from being damaged by simply clicking in.
Old 06-10-18, 05:19 PM
Sudovoodoo80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran the egg beater 1's on my mountain and road bike, never had any complaints about them. They shed mud well, were easy to use and comfortable to get in and out of and while pedaling. The 1's are cheap enough that you aren't risking a lot by trying a pair, I say go for it. I never experienced and damage to my shoes, though I did use mountain style shoes even on the road.
Old 06-10-18, 05:51 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Time Atacs for me. Used them on mtn bike and continued on the road. Ended up selling the mtn bike and going all road with a carbon road bike and steel touring/gravel bike. Still with the Atacs and don't think I'll ever ride anything else & I like the mtn shoes on the road and especially when walking into stores etc. That said, the eggbeaters are supposed to be good as well.
Old 06-11-18, 09:58 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
When I was using clipless -

Shimano Spd's - reliable, but didn't shed mud or snow that well if you really stepped in it
Crank Brothers Eggbeaters - awful reliability, but very good for mud or snow
Time Atac's - very reliable, and very good in mud and snow

I know they've redesigned eggbeaters since then so perhaps they've improve eggbeaters reliability.

I switched away from clipless back to flats since then. I don't race, but I know there's a lot of debate in the mountain biking world about clipless vs flats every since Sam Hill has been winning races on flats.
Old 06-13-18, 02:48 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I liked my eggbeaters a lot up to rides of about 50 miles. After that distance I started to get hotspots on my feet (even with the extra mounting plate/shim). I swapped them with Shimano XT pedals and haven't looked back. Caveat: I don't ride in muddy conditions very often.

The eggbeaters are simple, light, low-profile, and shed mud well. The XT (Shimano mountain) pedals are more complex, bulletproof, and very easy to clip in to.