Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If I had to pick Skyline or Blue Ridge ...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-14-19, 01:34 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

How better to spend a cold winter day than dreaming of a beautiful place to ride. My wife and I are at the beginning stages of planning a trip out east in the fall of this year. Cycling of course is part of the agenda. I'm hoping not to have to choose between Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, but will be limited at most to one day riding along each. I'm asking those of you who've ridden either or both, if you had to pick a one day's ride, what sections or routes would you pick? Ride length of 30 to 50 miles, with 3,000 to 4,000 ft (max) of climbing is preferred. I know nothing of the areas other than what I'm Googling, and I figure you all to be as good or better source of information. If the consensus is to skip the hills and do the ice cream or coffee ride, I'm good with that too.
Old 02-14-19, 03:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Just one day?? That'd be a crying shame, but I'd probably take the BRP out of Asheville "north" to Little Switzerland. That'd be pushing the climbing spec, as well as the miles, but the views... If your wife is driving the car, meet her up at Craggy Gardens for lunch after you've climbed out of Asheville (great view back across the city) and up past the reservoir (quiet valley). Take a few minutes to look over the valley from Marshall to Mars Hill and on over to the mountains on the Tennessee line, then cruise to the foot of Mt Mitchell. It's a steep climb that would be too far to climb, so go down and around to look back at the Black Mountains from the east, while getting occasional views of the Catawba Valley to the east. Coast down to NC 80 and you get one more climb up to Crabtree Falls; fill up your water bottles and coast down to Little Switzerland. You'll have earned your ice cream cone and the steak dinner after that! Then you can sit out on the patio and watch the hawks and crows soaring over the ridge as the sun goes down.
Old 02-14-19, 04:54 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

@pdlamb Thank you - awesome information from the perspective of someone who from the sounds of it has ridden it once or twice.

As for my wife ... funny you should assume that she'll be driving. Ever since she got her e-assist road bike, she's loving cycling and the hills.. Thankfully she waits for me at the top.

Any thoughts about Skyline, or am I missing something else better nearby?
Old 02-14-19, 04:58 PM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I concur the BRP north out of Asheville toward and up Mt. Mitchell is good riding. You can make nice loop using BRP out of Blowing Rock up over the viaduct at Grandfather Mountain and back down on Hwy 221; I have done this starting at the top going down Hwy 221 and back up the BRP near Blowing Rock. The best month to do this would be September; the BRP can get nuts with traffic during October leaf peeping season.
Old 02-14-19, 05:31 PM
grueling
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely plan around October and other major holidays. The BRP can get rather busy at times and the shoulders are not very wide. Unfortunately many drivers are busy looking at the scenery and not the road, so use caution and take measures to be visible. Skyline Drive is gorgeous as well even though the mountains are just a bit smaller in VA. Its been many years since I have been on Skyline, but weekdays were always better.
Old 02-14-19, 06:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
My thought, having ridden and driven both highways, is if the weather is crap and you don't/can't ride, might be more to do on the Skyline, especially hiking opportunities on the AT and other trails.

Some sections of the BRP are more remote than others, the advice above is good, but in reality, it's all good and I don't think choosing one area over the other is going to leave you disappointed.
Old 02-14-19, 08:01 PM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quite frankly you cant go wrong with either. The BRP in NC offers awesome views of peak after peak while the SNP will provide views of valleys and peaks in the distance. One thing about the SNP, there is a nice lodge/wayside every 25-30 miles for a nice meal/break or even a good start/stop point. BRP is free, SNP is not. IF you dont like hills, pick another road.
Old 02-15-19, 07:05 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Agree - one day not enough. Thinking about most scenic ride I know of - this is it
Silver Thread Scenic Hwy
Old 02-15-19, 08:29 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with BRP North out of Asheville. Be prepared for a climb up to Craggy Gardens area. Alternatively, same area, South on BRP has some spectacular views, especially from Mt. Pisgah to Black Balsam/Graveyard Fields area. Pisgah Inn is there, as well as Mt. Pisgah picnic/CG. From Blowing Rock, NC to Waynesville there are no "bad" areas. Spectacular views, waterfalls, short hikes...all along the way.
Been years since I've been on Skyline Dr but IIRC, there were not the numbers of views nor scale of vistas with interesting geological features.

edit to add: What pray tell, is that monsterous thing on the downtube of that bike, a gas tank? Rocket engine? Moonshine still?
Old 02-15-19, 09:50 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
I don't like the BRP climbs out of Asheville. There's a fair amount of traffic, and it's hard for cars to pass cyclists with all the curves. Weekdays probably aren't too bad, though.

I drive up to the higher elevations and ride from there. It's a little complicated to make a route that has water or food stops available, there's not too many places on the Parkway. I like out-and-back routes, it's never boring to retrace my outbound route, and I see different stuff on the return, climbing the outbound's downhills, and with the sun moved across the sky.

Just one day
Only one day to ride? For me, this route is the best one I've found on the Parkway. It's more climbing than you specified, but worth it. The climbs aren't steep, but there's no flat ground at all, so pacing and reasonable gearing is critical. The 50-55 mile version is probably comparable to 70-80 miles on flat to rolling areas.
I posted it in this thread post: Richland Balsam to the Pisgah Inn route. Check out the photo album in the link. Carryout lunch at the Pisgah Inn, sit on the back deck and check out the views.

Starting at Richland Balsam, it's 46 miles, 5200 feet. (I don't like to start with a downhill, I'd rather extend the route a little and warm up with a climb.)

If you've got the right gears to set a moderate pace on 5-7% grades, you'll be fine on these big climbs. And I like this route that has somewhat shorter climbs with descents in between.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-15-19 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 10:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Pisgah Inn is a great way to take a break or end the day. If you get lucky (in the restaurant or on the back deck), you can watch the hawks soaring down the ridge. If they catch a thermal, it's like watching a 757 take off!

Shenandoah is nice, and has some good climbs, but I don't think it's as exciting as the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially the mountains in N.C. Shenandoah is a bit easier to find (junk) food and water. I used to have a list of water sources on the BRP, but can't find it right now. "Bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway" is a good resource book if you're going to ride a few days there.
Old 02-15-19, 10:57 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which e assist motor is installed on the wife's ebike

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
@pdlamb Thank you - awesome information from the perspective of someone who from the sounds of it has ridden it once or twice.

As for my wife ... funny you should assume that she'll be driving. Ever since she got her e-assist road bike, she's loving cycling and the hills.. Thankfully she waits for me at the top.

Any thoughts about Skyline, or am I missing something else better nearby?
Just wondering as to the type of mid motor you installed on the wife's bike. I am considering the same change for my wife?
Thanks
Old 02-15-19, 11:06 AM
h2oxtc

@hockey It's a Bafang BBS-02, 350W, with brake and gear sensors, and a 52V battery. We can easily ride 50 miles with a mix of large and rolling hills with battery to spare. As I said, it's revolutionized cycling for her. I'll hear her chatting while riding up a hill or asking me "did you see that?" when I'm simply trying to focus on the effort climbing.
Old 02-15-19, 11:14 AM
h2oxtc

Thank you all for the posts. The take away for me is to enjoy the views of Skyline Drive as we drive thru or past, and take the extra day to ride the BRP. The route options are noted as is the warning about "leaf peepers" among which we will be - planning to be in the area mid October. Sadly, the two days is as much as our schedule will allow (this time).
Old 02-15-19, 11:24 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good solution to keep the two of us riding.
Old 02-15-19, 12:32 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
How better to spend a cold winter day than dreaming of a beautiful place to ride. My wife and I are at the beginning stages of planning a trip out east in the fall of this year. Cycling of course is part of the agenda. I'm hoping not to have to choose between Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, but will be limited at most to one day riding along each. I'm asking those of you who've ridden either or both, if you had to pick a one day's ride, what sections or routes would you pick? Ride length of 30 to 50 miles, with 3,000 to 4,000 ft (max) of climbing is preferred. I know nothing of the areas other than what I'm Googling, and I figure you all to be as good or better source of information. If the consensus is to skip the hills and do the ice cream or coffee ride, I'm good with that too.

Just my 2 cents here. I have ridden the BRP a bit and driven both the BRP and Skyline.

BRP for me, no doubt. Fall is definitely busier but it is not THAT busy. Not to the point of bumper to bumper. Avoid the weekends and it is a few cars passing by but that also depends on the part you ride. Around Asheville is the busiest due to the town and the Biltmore. Lots of visitors that time of the year. We drove the section from Asheville to Mt Mitchell on Columbus day a few years ago and the traffic was not a problem at all. Weekday, so the traffic is much lighter. I would concur that the views are spectacular.

My money is on the BRP and summit Mt Mitchell. If you don't do Mitchell you are missing one hell of a climb if that is your thing. Not to mention the views from the top are amazing in all directions. Two of the 3 highest peaks in the east are there. Mt Mitchell of course being the highest peak in the east.

If you want a sidebar, go to Marion, NC (about 30 miles east of Asheville on I-40) and take route 80 up to the BRP. It is called the Devils Whip. Rt 80 from Marion to the BRP has over 180 turns in the road and is about 11 miles in length. The real money does not start until you pass a church on the left at about 7 miles. After that, you enter hell. Once at the top of 80, there is an onramp to the BRP. Mitchell is 16 miles headed south on the BRP. Total distance from Marion to Mitchell is like 25 miles with about 6,000 feet of climbing. I've done it several times and the ride up 80 and then the last 16 on the BRP to Mitchell are worth the suffering. Once on top of Mitchell, you can SAG it back to Asheville but I have to tell you, that descent off of Mitchell is quite a thrill on a bike.

The climbs around Asheville on the BRP can be quite long. Some go on for over 5 miles but they don't average more than 6%. Getting up ON the BRP is way different. These access roads up to the BRP itself can be quite challenging in and of themselves, case in point, Rt 80 out of Marion.

One last item on the BRP, well a couple. There are few places to stop and refuel on the BRP. On the lower sections you are stuck unless you come down off the highway. So, you have to plan ahead for fuel and water. The Skyline has more "rest areas" where you can at least get water. If you do ride the part from Marion to Mitchell be aware that there are some tunnels that were hand dug a long time ago. The BRP REQUIRES both front and rear lights. The tunnels are not long, but you need to be seen since they are not lit.

The BRP in my opinion is the best cycling road in the country. It has it all and the speed limit is only 40 so the cars are not going that fast or at least they shouldn't be. I have ridden it in the Spring and haven't seen a car for in either direction for over an hour at times.

john
Old 02-15-19, 03:38 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Weather
Be prepared for fog or rain. And it's often 15 degrees colder at the high elevations.
I followed these weather station / forecast sites before my trip last year, and got perfect warm, sunny weather.

Mt Mitchell.
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/2037
https://www.wunderground.com/persona...?ID=KNCBURNS20
The road up to Mt Mitchell is steeper than the Parkway, with lots of 8% or higher grades.

The view from the Pisgah Inn deck:

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-15-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve ridden all of Skyline Drive and the BRP. My brother and I rode it end to end in 7 days a few years ago. It might help to know that there isn’t anything steep on any of the 500-600 mile route.

We rode all of Skyline Drive on day 1. There is a LOT of climbing on that stretch. We did 115 miles with 11,000’ of climbing. Skyline really doesn’t get to the elevations with the great views but there were a lot of hills. Based on that and what you have in mind if it were me I’d choose other sections. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks of Otter is one of my favorite spots along the BRP. Its in VA and not too far from Roanoke by car. I’d suggest spending a night or two there and doing some rides from there. The longest climb on the BRP at 13 miles is north of there. South is more rolling. They have a nice restaurant and some fun hiking trails. You need reservations.

Pisgah Inn is another option. Asheville is not too far from there. You could spend a night or two there and ride the BRP south for some good hills. If you go north you’d descend a long hill and have to reclimb it.

For great scenery in my opinion the area around Waterrock Knob near the southern end is hard to beat. You could stay in Maggie Valley or Cherokee and drive to an overlook and do some out and backs.

The BRP around Asheville is too busy and not scenic. But Asheville would be a great place to visit. Lots to do downtown plus the Biltmore House.

There is a neat town off the BRP in VA called Floyd. You could stay in Hotel Floyd and do some riding from there, maybe to Maybry Mill. Not great views but nice riding.

I’ve climbed to Mitchell from both directions and it’s a lot of climbing. It’s very doable but you need to allow plenty of time.

If you get closer to planning and need more details just let me know.
Old 02-20-19, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
n/m
Old 02-20-19, 07:41 PM
h2oxtc

Thank you @jppe and others who have provided info. My take away is to skip Skyline and spend the extra day on the BRP. No shortage of options - in the mean time I'll continue to mull them over. I'll post photos in October, assuming I don't get run over by one of the Leaf Peepers. lol
Old 02-20-19, 09:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A great little ride would be a loop from Blowing Rock. There is a public garage plus public parking on some side streets there. Essentially you’d take Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock to where it connects with the BRP near Grandfather Mountain. You’d then jump on the BRP and head north back to Shulls Mill Rd to Hwy 221 back to Blowing Rock. This would allow you to ride across the Viaduct. The ride on 221 is mostly through wooded areas and generally not too much traffic if it’s not leaf season, but there are some hills. If your wife didn’t want to ride the whole loop she could take Holloway Mtn road to cut the mileage in half.

If if you wanted to add miles you could ride further south on the BRP towards Linville Falls. It’s reasonably flat, at least no long climbs. If you wanted to do a good fun local climb you’d descend Shulls Mill Rd down to Hwy 105 and then climb it back to the BRP. I think you’d enjoy it. Probably 6% and lots of twists and all wooded for about 6 miles.

Lots of restaurants and shops in Blowing Rock and is a good tourist town. Boone is nearby and has lodging and more restaurants. If you opt for that area let me know as my daughter lives there. I can suggest local restaurants that we like when we’re up there.
Old 03-01-19, 02:17 PM
blaine

Bikes: Moots Vamoots

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also consider staying in Brevard and riding 276 up to the Parkway...or out of Brevard on 64, up 215 to the Parkway, and down the other side. Less traffic than the Parkway, great climbs and views...just plain awesome. Couple of great bike shops in Brevard too...Sycamore is our favorite..coffee shop, great guys who work there..and a couple beers on tap. There is also the Hub , which has a bit more of a "scene" per se with outdoor patio with beer, food trucks, and lots of cyclists coming off the trails!
Old 03-02-19, 11:57 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
A friend spent a lot of time in western NC last fall noted some new harsh chipseal being put on the BRP southern end.
Have any of the prior commenters ridden that part since late October? Sometimes chipseal is a precursor to a better
layer of asphalt but November et seq would not be a good time for asphalt to be laid down. This would be useful to know.
Old 03-04-19, 12:48 PM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
A friend spent a lot of time in western NC last fall noted some new harsh chipseal being put on the BRP southern end.
Have any of the prior commenters ridden that part since late October? Sometimes chipseal is a precursor to a better
layer of asphalt but November et seq would not be a good time for asphalt to be laid down. This would be useful to know.
It is similar to chip seal; certainly much rougher (protruding rocks/aggregate) than what has been previously used. I found an article saying they put it on existing surfaces that were in good condition to extend the life of the road surface. They apparently came back and put in a "fog seal" which is another thin layer of liquid asphalt sprayed on the surface. Didn't seem to do much to smooth it from what I have seen. It is not horrible for cycling but a bit of a down grade for sure from the previous smooth surface. Also more vehicle interior noise when driving; don't like it. They have paved a portion of I-40 in NC with something similar but I think slightly smoother than the Parkway surface.

Last edited by DeceptivelySlow; 03-04-19 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 07:43 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

BRP chip seal
I was there last summer. They had just finished sections in the Richland Balsam - Pisgah Inn area. There were still temporary lighted signs telling cyclists and motorcycles to avoid the new chipseal. But it was actually completed, they hadn't removed the signs yet. The BRP web site showed general areas where chipseal was scheduled, but not the exact mile markers.

Compared to my local midwest chipseal, it's not nearly as bad. The gravel sizes are "moderate" instead of "thumb sized" like some local counties do. And the sealer tar coat avoids loose gravel, which takes months to go away on our local chipseal.

I found it "buzzy" when climbing. I have large volume tires, around 28-29mm, at lower air pressures, which help. I stopped noticing it after a while, but the difference when I got to an older, smooth section was surprising. Like DeceptivelySlow mentioned, it's noisier on car tires. I could hear them coming--good, I guess.

On downhills, the speed smooths it out, not bad at all. I slowed a bit in the turns, not completely sure of the traction yet.

I expect after a year it'll be smoother where the car tires wear it down, and two years later, even better, but still not like regular paving. That's what happens around here.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-05-19 at 07:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.