Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Old 05-29-19, 06:46 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by shuilong
I'm quite late to the discussion but I wanted to answer the original question with an input about my two most expensive jerseys. One is a Sportful Celsius and the other is a Le Col Hors Categorie Hex

Sportful R&D Celsius MSRP $143.99
​​​​​
These are designed for all day riding when it starts cold and becomes warm or hot later in the day. Sounds perfect for a mountain ride where the base is much cooler than the higher elevation areas. The price point comes into play because it's part of Sportful's Research and Development sector that spent years into making a jersey that otherwise seemed impossible. How do you create a jersey that can keep you warm when it's cool but still keep you cool when it's warm?

The SS18 version is on sale now for around $85 with additional discounts around 20%, more or less depending on the outlet. Just like the rest of their jerseys these are race day fit with tight sleeves, shallow pockets that are tight to the body, and a high quality zipper. Do they perform as described? Somewhat, but really I just find them to be warm. Not hot and not cool, just somewhere in the middle. I mostly use it in the wet.

Le Col Hors Categorie Hex MSRP $189.39/£150
THIS was a waste of money. THIS is the kind of jersey that just says I have money and don't know how to spend it.

Where to begin? These are advertised as a top level race day jersey with none other than five time Olympic gold medalist and world champion Sir Bradley Wiggins himself wearing them. Race jerseys fit tightly to avoid drag. Race day jerseys have shallow pockets because riders aren't shoving teddy bears and souvenirs inside them. Race day jerseys are made from lightweight breathable material because typically the rider is sweating profusely either over a long distance or a quick short distance.

This jersey failed on all aspects. The torso is loose, and checking other reviews this doesn't seem uncommon. The arms have an obscene amount of silicone grippers for some reason. Huge deep pockets in the back that fit my entire arm in each of them. And the material is like nothing I've seen on any other jersey, it's heavier and less breathable than expected. I would buy this product if it was on sale for $35, and then wear it once a month just to look like a posh butthead.

Conclusion, more expensive jerseys cost what they do in order to give racers a competitive advantage, albeit miniscule. $25 jerseys can do the job. My POC Fondo Light has an MSRP of $130 but was on sale for $30, I call it cheap because it's just an overpriced version of some generic jerseys I've worn. I've had a spill in my Sportful jerseys over gravel and the clothing surprisingly didn't rip. My POC had one spill and it was completely ruined from the arms all the way up the collar. Less durable material. You really get what you pay for. Usually. Unless you don't.

This is an honest review. It would be nice to see more like it. No beating around the bush.
Old 05-29-19, 06:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
One word: snob appeal.
Software developers call this an "off by one" error.
Old 05-30-19, 07:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Shorts only Jeeves. I've worn from $30-$85. And although the more expensive ones felt great (mostly due to more panels) they weren't anymore supportive nor durable than their $40 equivalents.
I have found no difference in quality between the shorts and bibs coming from the same brand. The fit? Sure, since by definition shorts and bibs will fit differently.
Old 05-30-19, 09:36 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I will say that I have been very happy with my $30 jerseys from an Australian seller on Ebay. I bought a retro Eddy Merckx Jersey from him because I liked the design.

I liked the jersey so much for the fit and money, that I ordered another with a different design. The seller is cycling-retro-jersey (8789)

I can't see myself paying over $100 for a jersey ever, seeing how good the fit and quality of these is. They have everything I need in terms of rear pockets, different weight / ventilated materials on different parts of the jersey, etc. Very nicely made jerseys.

Shorts however, is a different story. I am quite particular about the fit of the shorts / chamois, and will gladly pay more for a better fitting one.
Old 05-30-19, 11:01 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Shorts only Jeeves. I've worn from $30-$85. And although the more expensive ones felt great (mostly due to more panels) they weren't anymore supportive nor durable than their $40 equivalents.
The justification for high quality bottoms has everything to do with the chamois. Lots of people can make a spandex short or bib that fits and is supportive - it's spandex after all. But when you find that chamois that perfectly matches your personal anatomy, has exactly the amount of padding you require, and suits your saddle and position on the bike, you'll pay whatever it takes.

Jerseys have a little less impact on overall ride quality, and if you race, you're in a team kit a big percentage of the time, anyhow.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-30-19, 11:14 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
The justification for high quality bottoms has everything to do with the chamois. Lots of people can make a spandex short or bib that fits and is supportive - it's spandex after all. But when you find that chamois that perfectly matches your personal anatomy, has exactly the amount of padding you require, and suits your saddle and position on the bike, you'll pay whatever it takes.

Jerseys have a little less impact on overall ride quality,

BB
It's the chamois and the cut. I've found most of the cheap bottoms I've tried are just not cut right. They are not properly bias cut, so I end up with a lot of bunching. The fit is also sometimes weird, legs too short, torso too long, bibs not shaped right, and on and on.

Agree with you on the tops. I'm more accepting of a top if the fit is not perfect, or the material is not the greatest, but it's a miserable ride when the bottoms are bad.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-30-19, 05:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Wear and details.

Most jersey's I've seen seem to use very similar fabrics, probably sourced from the same two or three mills that specialize in making sports fabrics. They're mostly laminated poly blends, with different pore sizes and wicking properties. There are a few outliers like whatever Garneau uses on their Lemmon jersey, which feels more like an ultra-thin, soft fine cotton t-shirt or merino wool. And actual merino wool.

The main differences I see between my $15-$20 jerseys and the pricey stuff is how long the reflective logo bits last before falling off from normal use and washing (I mostly handwash); and how well the zippers work without snagging or other problems.

The fabrics feel pretty similar in regular use, but over time the construction quality becomes apparent. On local group rides, I've seen Rapha jerseys worn until they're almost transparent but the zippers still work and the logos hang on. My year old cheap $20 oddly named jersey (Spurnfried or Commodeo or something goofy) has reflective logos peeling off, but the zipper and fabric are good -- so far.

Even within a manufacturer's lineup I see significant differences. My cheap Garneau jerseys have peeling logos. My better Garneau jersey has better attention to detail. While there tends to be a lot of markup in any apparel, you still usually get what you pay for.

But that's true of almost any clothing. Fabrics are often similar, but details matter. Zippers and other closures are often compromised on cheaper clothing. And cheaper clothing tends to have poorer stitching, or they don't finish the lock stitches so everything tends to unravel (which seems to mean the same thing as ravel, but fancier).

Last edited by canklecat; 05-30-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 05:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I will say that I have been very happy with my $30 jerseys from an Australian seller on Ebay. I bought a retro Eddy Merckx Jersey from him because I liked the design.

I liked the jersey so much for the fit and money, that I ordered another with a different design. The seller is cycling-retro-jersey (8789)

I can't see myself paying over $100 for a jersey ever, seeing how good the fit and quality of these is. They have everything I need in terms of rear pockets, different weight / ventilated materials on different parts of the jersey, etc. Very nicely made jerseys.

Shorts however, is a different story. I am quite particular about the fit of the shorts / chamois, and will gladly pay more for a better fitting one.
Originally Posted by bbbean

Jerseys have a little less impact on overall ride quality, and if you race, you're in a team kit a big percentage of the time, anyhow.

BB
So BIG $ for bottoms but not tops.

Cue Spinal Tap video link...
Old 05-31-19, 02:23 PM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're so good, you are able to notice a justifiable difference with the $100 upgrade. BTW, there's a ~$400 device, Aeropod, that could actually measure the drag coefficient.
Old 05-31-19, 02:26 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
If you're so good, you are able to notice a justifiable difference with the $100 upgrade. BTW, there's a ~$400 device, Aeropod, that could actually measure the drag coefficient.
If anyone is that good, their jerseys will be provided for them via the team.
Old 05-31-19, 02:37 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I bought a jersey from aliexpress company called raccmer (actually paid a little more to get it via amazon, $16) and quite like it, but the quality compared to castelli and some other stuff is noticable. for one, the stitching on one of the sleeves is coming apart and I've only worn it maybe a dozen times (and wash on handwash cycle). But the fit (small) is good for me and not baggy or otherwise too much of a club fit. I've had good luck with a couple of pairs of spexcel bib shorts and they've been good for a year so far. You can get by with some of these cheap jerseys, but the quality difference is noticable.
Old 05-31-19, 03:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
You can do that with a power meter and a speed sensor (plus a loop and free software).
Old 05-31-19, 04:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
When it's 104°, I can tell the difference between a Rapha Pro Team Flyweight and my other jerseys. Evaporative cooling can be felt. It's really remarkable.

Also, +1 on the chamois. Elastic Interface pads are top shelf and not cheap. The Space 2 chamois in my 7Mesh bibs is like riding in your rich uncle's Cadillac.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-31-19, 04:51 PM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You can do that with a power meter and a speed sensor (plus a loop and free software).

And an AeroPod that links to the power meter and speed sensor, measures wind velocity, and calculates the drag coefficient (times the front area) in real time.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...ic-sensor.html
Old 05-31-19, 05:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

I can be comfortable in any shorts or pants that fit. I can ride 100 km in street pants, and then ride the next day, and not complain. The only reason I wear bibs is because I'm not a plumber.

I set a lot of my PRs in my most aero jersey.
Old 06-03-19, 08:04 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP

Current team is called Sweet Spot Cycling, they run a bike trainer studio in Lakeside. The owner won Cross Nationals in his age group last year so at least one of us isn't a wannabe! I'm actually doing Bike MS this weekend from Varina out to Williamsburg and back, should be a lot of riders out that way all weekend.
I drove past ya'Il this weekend. I was up in the Williamsburg, Jamestown area doing a little history learning with the family.
Old 06-03-19, 09:54 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I buy mainly based on looks. I'll pay BIG $ for something good looking.
Old 06-03-19, 09:58 AM
PepeM

Also they must have one of those low cut "aero"/"race" necks. I hate tall necks, and cheap jerseys usually have those.
Old 06-03-19, 09:59 AM
PepeM

And I will pay even BIGGER $ if cats are involved in the design.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 06-03-19, 10:21 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by PepeM
And I will pay even BIGGER $ if cats are involved in the design.
That would be the purrfect one to wear.
Old 06-03-19, 10:26 AM
seypat

Here it is. Definitely a BIG $ jersey.

https://thecyclingfever.com/products...cycling-jersey
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-03-19, 11:09 AM
jimh12345

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atjurhs
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140
Fit and comfort. But you might get that for $15 or $115. I really don't care about pockets in back.
Old 06-03-19, 11:25 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
The best deals i've found lately are the one-year-old jerseys from some of the local cycling events. These jerseys sold for $140-$160 at the event, but a year later are available for $20-$30. Some great patterns, and they sure fit and feel like top-notch kit. Check out whoever supplies rides in your area with branded jerseys, and then poke around that company's site and see if they have an "off sales" section for the extras.
Old 06-03-19, 12:03 PM
hschonzeit

Bikes: Lotus Classique

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why pay for style

In many cases, you are paying a premium for style, not the quality. I buy my shirts at a retail outfit and can see the difference. The suggestion to buy last year's race shirt is probably the most cost effective, but I'd feel awkward riding with a race shirt that I didn't earn.
Old 06-03-19, 12:09 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I bought a Giant-branded jersey at a shop that was closing. Paid about $20. Decent quality, nice look. Then I saw the same on ebay but long sleeves. I thought I would take a chance on them being the same. The long sleeves are about two inches too short.

So that's one reason to pay, so it will fit.

Originally Posted by atjurhs
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.