Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Starting out

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Starting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 10:04 AM
TooTechie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting out

I am a road cycling newbie. I just bought a trek road bike and went for my first ride (night ride) yesterday and fell in love.

For my first ride I set a destination of a grocery store in the next town over 4.6 miles away, 9.2 miles total.
The first leg of the trip took 13 min, 13 seconds and the return trip took 13 min, 22 seconds. On flat stretches I was averaging a bit over 17mph, declines over 25 and steeper inclines a bit over 11mph. I'm 44. The bike is 3x8. Is this approximately an appropriate place to start or should I be going on longer rides?

Thanks
Old 07-20-19, 10:11 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I would recommend thinking more in terms of hours than miles. 1 hour rides routinely, longer epic rides occasionally(3-4 hours feels pretty epic to me) And just ride until you’re done! Sounds like you are doing just that.
Old 07-20-19, 10:19 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I agree, don't worry about miles, worry about time on the bike. I try to ride an hour minimum when I ride. If it's a flat and no wind day I'll go a lot farther than on a hilly, windy ride.
Old 07-20-19, 11:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Gradually increase your saddle time. Ideally find a local bike club or shop ride to learn more routes and also get tips in person.
Old 07-23-19, 04:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Rides like the one you did are great to get used to the bike, learn the gearing and stopping, etc. As others said, increasing gradually to longer rides will be more impact for increasing your fitness level. As you do, take note of how your knees, back and shoulders feel - if you feel discomfort there you could probably benefit from a bike fitting session.

After you've done some longer rides, you should have built up some rear end toughness, so I wouldn't worry about a sore behind at first. But, on every bike I've bought I've ended up replacing the seat (oops, we are supposed to call them saddles...) to one that fit my butt better. So, if your rear end never gets comfortable you might want to look there.