Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Endurance Options

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 10:50 PM
EZCUSE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I currently ride a hybrid but looking to move to a true road bike. I am fused in my lower back so being hunched over on a bike is one of the worst things I can do. The more upright, the better.

I’ve been reading about endurance frames and that seems the best way for me to go.

Any recommendations that I should check out? All in (for the entire bike-not just the frame) I want to be in the $3500-$5000 range and of course want all the bells and whistles I can possibly get.

Any and all options are much appreciated.
Old 07-26-19, 11:05 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I’m fused as well. Very painful at first, but I can tell you that my flexibility has improved significantly just from riding a lot.
Old 07-27-19, 01:00 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Can't really go wrong with the big ones. Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse - these all have large R&D investment into not only the frame geometry, but componentry also to make them as road comfortable as possible.

some of smaller brands such as Cube Attain, Focus Paralane, BMC Roadmachine etc also make good options but found them to be more of sport endurance than a comfort endurance.
Old 07-27-19, 09:32 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Start by test riding any and all road bikes that are in your price range. None will fit as upright as your hybrid bike. You might not like the riding position.

Also, you actually do not want to ride “hunched” over. Decades ago that was considered good form and that’s how the pros and “serious” roadies cycled. Now good form is to keep your back straight or at least as straight as possible. You want to rotate and bend from your hips. The less flexible you are, the more you will need to rotate your hips. Saddle design and angle will assist with finding a good riding position.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-19, 09:48 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Can't really go wrong with the big ones. Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse - these all have large R&D investment into not only the frame geometry, but componentry also to make them as road comfortable as possible.

some of smaller brands such as Cube Attain, Focus Paralane, BMC Roadmachine etc also make good options but found them to be more of sport endurance than a comfort endurance.
Well don’t fall for the whole r&d stuff a frame set isn’t going to make you go fast. The whole aero frame jargon for instance on a road bike is pretty hilarious considering most of that is negated by your body. We are probably talking about an older guy so I think any sportive frame will do. At 3500 to $5k budget there really isn’t anything out there that will be bad provided you fit the bike
Old 07-27-19, 10:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Well don’t fall for the whole r&d stuff a frame set isn’t going to make you go fast. The whole aero frame jargon for instance on a road bike is pretty hilarious considering most of that is negated by your body. We are probably talking about an older guy so I think any sportive frame will do. At 3500 to $5k budget there really isn’t anything out there that will be bad provided you fit the bike
What are you even talking about? Keep your shtick to your trolling threads. The subject at hand here is endurance bikes and some of the big players have put in a lot of development that translates in to real-world comfort that, in turn, means faster with less fatigue for many riders.

Originally Posted by EZCUSE
Any recommendations that I should check out? All in (for the entire bike-not just the frame) I want to be in the $3500-$5000 range and of course want all the bells and whistles I can possibly get.

Any and all options are much appreciated.
As has been mentioned, it's hard to go too far wrong with the endurance offerings of the major players. Of those, I'm partial to the Domane. Trek just released the 2020 version and it looks really interesting, even for someone that has a 2018 (me). The IsoSpeed works really, really well without being the least bit intrusive and the bike will accept some pretty wide tires (which translates in to lower pressures, which means more comfort and better speed over roads that are less than glass smooth).

Here's a video review to get started, but definitely visit a shop for some hands-on -