Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best way to prevent getting salty sweat in your eyes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-07-19, 09:47 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts

Summer has now finally started here. For the next weeks my evening commutes will be hot with temperatures around 100 plus high humidity. Meaning I will be sweating like crazy. I am using one of these halo sweat bands but even that gets drenched within minutes and I have salty sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes which burns.
What are the best ways to keep the sweat out of the eyes? Thx.
Old 08-07-19, 10:24 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I use Headsweats.
Old 08-07-19, 10:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Old school roadie trick: cycling cap with the top cut off so it's like a visor. I wear it backwards under the helmet. The sweat wicks backwards towards the brim.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-07-19, 10:48 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use a cheap cotton headband that I wear just above the brows. I ring it out about every hour or so. It works well, but I do carry a second headband in case it is needed. I was surprised at the amount of water that it captures.
Old 08-07-19, 11:23 AM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Skull caps work better than headbands. Many brands make skull caps the fit easily under bicycle helmets. If you have a bigger head, make sure the skull cap is big enough to fit comfortably.
Old 08-07-19, 11:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Ride in the winter.

OK, if you must ride when there's sunlight in the summer, a couple of things. First, roll up a couple of bandanas to make headbands. When one is ready to start dripping (worst case for me is about 20 minutes), wring it out, hang it on your rack, and put on the other one. Repeat as needed.

Second choice, Sweat Gut'r. It's finicky to get it on just right, especially with a helmet. But since it redirects sweat rather than absorbing it, it'll keep working for a long time. (Until you bump it and all the sweat backed up comes pouring down.)

Halo headbands are OK for moderate heat and humidity, IME, but when it's pushing 90-90 weather, they're easily overwhelmed.
Old 08-07-19, 11:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I use these and they are amazing. Also they help make up for worn padding in my helmet too. Get the thin 1" version.
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...qid=1565198803

I got two, because I can't cycle without it in the summer. I'll soak the pads in my helmet, but these drain the sweat to the back of my head.

Tried the cycling caps but they are too hot and they don't fit my head well. I need the ventilation.
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-07-19, 02:50 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
And wash whatever you use regularly, as well as your helmet pads (if applicable). It's not that hot where I live, but I still sweat and the salt accumulates in the pads, then when it rains, all that accumulated salt washes out into my eyes. Ouch.
Old 08-07-19, 09:24 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Summer has now finally started here. For the next weeks my evening commutes will be hot with temperatures around 100 plus high humidity. Meaning I will be sweating like crazy. I am using one of these halo sweat bands but even that gets drenched within minutes and I have salty sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes which burns.
What if you soaked the headband in cold water first so it'll keep your head cool. And also try wearing a damp handtowel around your neck.
Old 08-07-19, 10:03 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Some of the pros use Vaseline and make a dam by putting it in their eyebrows an in the middle between the eyebrows. It's made so the sweat goes to the out side of the eyes on the side. I have not done it. I use a very thin skull cap style hat it seems to work better than a band.
Old 08-07-19, 11:12 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I bought one of these after my thread about head sunburn...works perfect, my glasses no longer get sweat drenched when riding, about 95 here most days.

Mission Enduracool Cooling Helmet Liner
Old 08-08-19, 07:36 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Cycling cap here as well.
Old 08-08-19, 12:32 PM
chas58

seems to me that any caps defeat the purpose of getting a helmet with good ventilation.

I like caps in the cooler months, but not in the summer...
Old 08-08-19, 12:52 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Originally Posted by chas58
I use these and they are amazing. Also they help make up for worn padding in my helmet too. Get the thin 1" version.
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...qid=1565198803

I got two, because I can't cycle without it in the summer. I'll soak the pads in my helmet, but these drain the sweat to the back of my head.

Tried the cycling caps but they are too hot and they don't fit my head well. I need the ventilation.
These are are the ones I have. They work for a few minutes until they are soaked. lol
Old 08-08-19, 12:55 PM
Harhir

Originally Posted by jadocs
Cycling cap here as well.
I will give them a try. This is our local forecast for the next 14 days. Hot and humid....
Old 08-08-19, 01:30 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I will give them a try. This is our local forecast for the next 14 days. Hot and humid....
Just so you know, cycling caps come in different material configurations. For hot weather, I use one from Hincappe Sports made from same perforated material as a lightweight jersey. In colder climate there are ones made of heavier material.
Old 08-08-19, 07:36 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
That's what I use. The 'sweatseal' redirects the sweat away from my eyes. The only time I get sweat in my eyes with this is when it's pouring and rains overcomes that band.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-08-19, 08:01 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Halo works for me. On really humid days I have a cotton bandanna handy to wipe off the he excess at stop lights
Old 08-08-19, 10:28 PM
Ken2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweat Buster

This is a different approach that I prefer:
www.traxfactory.com/shop
​​​​​​Also available on Amazon. This replaces whatever front 'band' is in your helmet. Just peel it out and (assuming it attaches via velcro as most do) stick this in. Works better and longer for me even in 100deg+ than Halo & others mentioned.
Old 08-09-19, 04:04 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
seems to me that any caps defeat the purpose of getting a helmet with good ventilation.

But...with a bald head....I don't look good in stripes (sunburn stripes)....lol
Old 08-09-19, 10:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

On some really hot days when I'm riding hard, the sweat pours into my eyes even though I consider my helmet to be pretty well ventilated. In theory, a cycling cap can work as an evaporative heat sink.

I mean, when it comes down to it, my head would be coolest with no helmet at all, but that's a different thread.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-09-19, 11:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
In hot weather, and I think my climate is similar to Plano, a cycling cap adds 5-10 degrees to the apparent temperature. Since I can out-sweat evaporation from the cap, I end up with sweat dripping off the bill of the cap onto my glasses. So a cap doesn't work for long sweaty rides, IME.
Old 08-09-19, 11:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Interesting topic! I don't normally have this problem, but you made me realize what happened to me last night. I was riding, and we got a sudden and very intense thunderstorm. I'm in New York City, so I don't think it's necessary to take shelter during these. I kept riding, and one of my eyes started stinging badly. I thought it was a particle. I couldn't get it out with blinking and tearing, so I reluctantly wiped my eye, and that relieved me of the pain. Now I know it was sweat.

I generally wear a cycling cap under my helmet. @chas58, yes it can make me hotter, but my sweat makes my helmet disgusting, so it's like underwear.

I agree that synthetic is best for summer. The new material which I've heard called "jersey material" is a kind of polyester that feels like nylon. I might try that liner that @mynewnchrome cited. My synthetic summer hat is OK, but maybe I could do better. I have some t-shirts made of polyester, and I swear, wearing them makes me cooler than wearing nothing. It's as if they're made of an air conditioner.

The other ideas offered here are very interesting, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 12:15 PM
chas58

Thanks for the theory and ideas.

The cap thing doesn’t work for me. I have one, but can’t use it this time of year. Halo is the only solution that works for me.

In my case, I have good ventilation and my sweat effectively evaporates, keeping me cool. I ride fast, so I have a lot of sweat and at speed it evaporates effectively. But when I stop at a stop light, its like being in a rain shower. Sweat just pores into my eyes. Its worse when my helmet pads get saturated. And, its salty!

A cap does not give me good ventilation, and does not effectively catch the sweat from my forehead. I do like the option of a brim/sun-visor. This sweat band, with its yellow sweat rain gutter looked pretty goofy to me. I picked it up on a whim. But nothing is as unobtrusive or as effective as this. I’ve tried. Maybe I would have a different answer if I was bald, lol. (my bald friends love caps under their helmet).
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-09-19, 12:20 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by noglider
I
I agree that synthetic is best for summer. The new material which I've heard called "jersey material" is a kind of polyester that feels like nylon. I might try that liner that @mynewnchrome cited. My synthetic summer hat is OK, but maybe I could do better. I have some t-shirts made of polyester, and I swear, wearing them makes me cooler than wearing nothing. It's as if they're made of an air conditioner.
OT but I'm a fan of $5 merino wool or cashmere from Salvation Army. My problem with a synthetic jersey is that it stinks - especially if I'm commuting in it every day. Pretty much need to wash it in vinegar every day.

A light weight cashmere sweater (I cut the sleeve to make short sleeves or have a tailor do it if I want to be neat) wicks sweat well, dries quick and breathes well. Its like synth, but without the stink. And, if I'm lazy I can go a lot longer without washing it.

Its good wicking and drying that can help you feel cool. Evaporation is your friend in the summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.