Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

New Member here, checking in saying hello....

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 08-21-19, 11:21 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

Hey guys, I just typed out a big long intro and somehow it got lost. It might be because I tried posting pics but not sure.

I'm 47 and have been battling Lyme Disease for about 10 years. Which one of the big things was extreme fatigue. But this year started feeling a bit better so I started riding a bike again. How relaxing and such a blessing it's been! And I'm sure good for getting some exercise and fresh air.

At the beginning of the year my 6 year old daughter came to me and said she was interested in mechanical stuff and engines and how they work. Well then we started working on projects together. Tuning up our John Deere, which she was a big help. And I worked on a few other projects with engines and got them running well (power washer and another lawn mower for a friend) but we had a bicycle that had been sitting for several year. Maybe 7-8 years and we started cleaning it up together so she could ride it. And then I started to ride it to. First time I was on it I went to the end of the driveway and about 100' down the road and turned back. LOL. But it was something and then I just kept going a little more every day. Our rides are up to 2 miles now and the whole family is involved.

The original bike was one my wife bought for herself (Schwinn Del Mar) but me and my daughter absconded with it so my wife wanted to start riding too and we found a Schwinn Sanctuary on Craigs list for a good deal. Only few years old and didn't really need anything.

Then my neighbors were moving and put out a Murray Actra mountain bike for free and we cleaned that up and I only had to put new inner tubes on it. All the rest of the mechanicals were in good order other than super rusty rims. And maybe a bit wobbly but good enough. My daughter claimed that as hers. That bike is kind of neat because it was actually made in the USA, which is not easy to come by any longer. Lawrenceburg, TN.

Then I bought a Schwinn Hurricane 90's mountain bike for 15 dollars that was listed on Facebook marketplace. That one was also very dirty but in OK mechanical order. I did have to buy 1 inner tube and 2 tires for it.

We have 2 kids so we ALL went for a bike ride for the first time I think ever. We used to go for walks when the kids were real little but I don't think we ever rode all together. I don't think we ever had 4 bikes at one time. LOL.

So it's grown into a family affair.

I still need to learn how to true a rim. The Del Mar's rear rim seemed to get worse as we rode it this summer. Maybe the spokes started to settle in but the rear rim needs help. It still rides fine but I can feel it now as your ride and want to remedy it. But truing a wheel is not what I'd call easy. I tried truing it some in the beginning of the year to really make it straight but I don't think I did any good. Any tips on that would be really nice. I am going to watch a "park tool" youtube video today to see if I can learn more. I've watched a few videos but it's still kind of confusing as to which way your supposed to turn the spokes to get the desired effect. I also have to get one of the spoke tools.

So... I'm going to try to post pics to go along with my post here but I'm not sure if that works if your new......

Thank you for listening and have a great day!!!!
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 08-22-19, 09:28 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Welcome! And that is perhaps the most inspiring intro I've read ever. So glad you have the whole family having fun together. Life is good!
Old 08-22-19, 02:36 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Thank you sir. I really appreciate the kind words. As soon as I'm allowed to I'll put up pics. But I need more posts. Although it's not like were all that pretty. But at least people can check out our bikes. LOL.
Old 08-22-19, 05:49 PM
BririaBoarder

Bikes: Biria Easy Boarding 7 speed

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, and all hail your daughter!
Old 08-22-19, 07:03 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by 3S1M
But at least people can check out our bikes. LOL.
Always is fun to look at bikes.
Old 08-23-19, 04:44 PM
3S1M

Originally Posted by BririaBoarder
Welcome, and all hail your daughter!
Ooooops, I meant to say 16 year old. LOL. That would be cool if my 6 year old daughter helped me tune up my John Deere. LOL. But really, my Daughter did quite a bit. She helped with putting on the fuel filter. My son did too. They let me do the last bit of getting the lines on good enough because it was hard. My Daughter helped me with a linkage issue on the carb and sorted it out herself. I was a proud Dad. She also helped me replace the blower motor fan on my car this summer. She did well. We sort of took turns loosening the screws holding it in because one of them was a pain in the you know what and it was hard to position myself in there comfortably.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 09-06-19, 04:31 AM
Ricardbaby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck!
Old 09-07-19, 12:01 PM
3S1M

Thank you. I got the rear rim sorted pretty darn good on my bike after getting the park tool spoke wrench. And worked on my other bikes. They are not perfectly straight but good enough for me.

My next goal is to possibly build a different bike for myself over the winter out of parts I can get cheap. I like how mine rides but it's so girly. LOL. It WAS my wifes a long time ago but then she got a new one after my daughter and I started riding hers.

Or maybe I'll just paint it or build it up the way I want. I might get some bmx style bars.
Old 09-07-19, 02:50 PM
JonathanGennick 

My next goal is to possibly build a different bike for myself over the winter out of parts I can get cheap. I like how mine rides but it's so girly. LOL. It WAS my wifes a long time ago but then she got a new one after my daughter and I started riding hers.
Which one of those in the photos is yours?
Old 09-08-19, 07:09 PM
3S1M

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Which one of those in the photos is yours?
Don't laugh. It's the white Schwinn Del Mar with the light shining at the camera. It's very comfy but it's got all these flowers and purple, an electric type light blue and yellowish accents on it. I took the purple chainguard off because I just like the looks of it without it.

It was originally my wife's bike and it was the only one we had at the beginning of summer. So my daughter and I were the first ones to start riding. Then my wife found hers at a rummage sale that was posted on fb / craigslist and it was a good deal. And she likes new, shiny things so.... Then I kept thinking I'd build a cheap one up for myself but the two I did both my kids claimed them.... Which I was glad they wanted to ride. But I'm stuck with the girly flower bike. LOL.

I'm almost tempted to get a BMX type bike. Or find a smaller 24" mountain bike and put BMX bars on it. I don't know if I'd like riding a BMX style bike as much as I do the cruiser, but it might be worth a try.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 09-09-19, 03:26 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I'm almost tempted to get a BMX type bike. Or find a smaller 24" mountain bike and put BMX bars on it. I don't know if I'd like riding a BMX style bike as much as I do the cruiser, but it might be worth a try.

Hey there, 3S1M. That red Schwinn that you and I were conversing about in the Cruiser Forum is set up similar to a full size BMX cruiser. That's pretty much what I was looking for and why I scooped that bike up when I found it on Craigslist. The seat tube on that bike is more laid back than on a "10-speed bike", so it's more relaxed in that regard. Plus, the old handlbar I put on were named a mountain bike bar many years ago, but now are called comfort bike bars. Basically a BMX style bar without the cross brace.

Below is a variant of a BMX cruiser I had my eye on. It sure looks more BMX and more up to date than my red Schwinn. About 59 gear inches, per Sheldon Brown.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products...29218416033903

Edit to add:
Here's another that's really closer to the red Schwinn. Coaster brake single speed. Pretty cool lookin' bike, but at 71 gear inches it's much higher geared than that full size BMXer above.
https://www.citygrounds.com/collecti...nt=40395417676

Last edited by FiftySix; 09-09-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 12:17 PM
3S1M

Thank you for the calculator in the other thread. I'll start putting in my bikes to see what they are. LOL.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 09-10-19, 02:21 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Thank you for the calculator in the other thread. I'll start putting in my bikes to see what they are. LOL.
Compare your single speed bikes to your geared bikes on that calculator. That's how I got accustomed to the whole gear inches thing.

I knew I liked 5th gear most on my old 7 speed, which happened to be 70 gear inches.

Same went with comparing to other bikes gearing, "Oh, that's like riding in 3rd gear on my 7 speed", etc. etc.
Old 09-10-19, 03:23 PM
3S1M

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Compare your single speed bikes to your geared bikes on that calculator. That's how I got accustomed to the whole gear inches thing.

I knew I liked 5th gear most on my old 7 speed, which happened to be 70 gear inches.

Same went with comparing to other bikes gearing, "Oh, that's like riding in 3rd gear on my 7 speed", etc. etc.
How do you measure the crank to put in the info? pedal to center or pedal to pedal?
Old 09-10-19, 03:30 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

How do you measure the crank to put in the info? pedal to center or pedal to pedal?
Center axis of crank to center axis of pedal.

My Schwinns with one piece cranks were/are approximately 180mm* if I recall correctly. My other two bikes with 3 piece cranks are 170mm.

Edit: *7 inches or 177.5mm per specs found on the net.

Last edited by FiftySix; 09-10-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 10:25 AM
3S1M

Center axis of crank to center axis of pedal.

My Schwinns with one piece cranks were/are approximately 180mm* if I recall correctly. My other two bikes with 3 piece cranks are 170mm.

Edit: *7 inches or 177.5mm per specs found on the net.
Yeah, all of my bikes look like they are 6.6", which I think translaes to 170mm. I guess maybe that's pretty standard since they had it loaded into the calculator already.
Old 09-11-19, 10:51 AM
3S1M

OK, so my Schwinn Del Mar appears to be 63.4 gear inches and my Son's Schwinn mountain bike, the gear I use the most is the 3rd biggest gear on the rear hub and that is 61.2 gear inches. I guess that makes sense..... And on the front sprocket gear I eliminated the derailleur because the changer was toast and just put it on the center gear / sprocket.

So.... here's my question, I'm assuming the lower the number the lower the gearing the more cranks it takes for the same distance. But I'm a bit confused because the red bike, that I think is yours Fifty Six, with the small tooth sprocket on the crank you said has 70 gear inches. Maybe the rear gear is smaller on that one than my Del Mar. But my crank gear looks a lot bigger than yours. What is the proper term for that? I keep trying to figure out the proper term for the front and rear gears... sprockets...
Old 09-12-19, 06:43 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

OK, so my Schwinn Del Mar appears to be 63.4 gear inches and my Son's Schwinn mountain bike, the gear I use the most is the 3rd biggest gear on the rear hub and that is 61.2 gear inches. I guess that makes sense..... And on the front sprocket gear I eliminated the derailleur because the changer was toast and just put it on the center gear / sprocket.

So.... here's my question, I'm assuming the lower the number the lower the gearing the more cranks it takes for the same distance.
True.

But I'm a bit confused because the red bike, that I think is yours Fifty Six, with the small tooth sprocket on the crank you said has 70 gear inches. Maybe the rear gear is smaller on that one than my Del Mar. But my crank gear looks a lot bigger than yours. What is the proper term for that? I keep trying to figure out the proper term for the front and rear gears... sprockets...
That red bike is 66" with 38 tooth front / 16 tooth rear sprockets and 700x42 tires. 700 tires usually have a larger diameter than 26 inch tires, which will increase the gear inches number if the sprocket ratio stays the same.

Regarding the 70" I mentioned, my wife's 7 speed Schwinn and my 8 speed Norco both pull about 70" in 5th and 6th gears respectively. Those two bikes have front sprockets (aka chainrings) of 46 teeth and 42 teeth, respectively.

If you haven't seen it already, below is a short version of where the term Gear Inches came from.

"When the high wheeler or penny-farthing was the "ordinary" bicycle form, the comparative diameter in inches of the driven wheel was an indication of relative speed and effort. A 60-inch wheel propelled a bicycle faster than a 50-inch wheel when both were cranked at the same cadence. The technology of the high wheeler imposed a natural limit—a 60-inch wheel was about the maximum size that could be straddled by ordinary sized legs. When "safeties" replaced "ordinaries," chains and sprockets allowed small wheels to be turned faster than the pedal cranks. As result, a 28-inch wheel could be made to move a bicycle at the same speed as a 60-inch wheel. Such a bicycle was then said to be geared at 60 gear inches and pedalled similar to an ordinary with a 60-inch wheel. Thus on a bicycle geared at 72 gear inches one revolution of the pedals advances the bicycle the distance that a 72-inch wheel would in one revolution." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_inches

Last edited by FiftySix; 09-12-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-12-19, 10:02 AM
3S1M

True.

That red bike is 66" with 38 tooth front / 16 tooth rear sprockets and 700x42 tires. 700 tires usually have a larger diameter than 26 inch tires, which will increase the gear inches number if the sprocket ratio stays the same.

Regarding the 70" I mentioned, my wife's 7 speed Schwinn and my 8 speed Norco both pull about 70" in 5th and 6th gears respectively. Those two bikes have front sprockets (aka chainrings) of 46 teeth and 42 teeth, respectively.

If you haven't seen it already, below is a short version of where the term Gear Inches came from.

"When the high wheeler or penny-farthing was the "ordinary" bicycle form, the comparative diameter in inches of the driven wheel was an indication of relative speed and effort. A 60-inch wheel propelled a bicycle faster than a 50-inch wheel when both were cranked at the same cadence. The technology of the high wheeler imposed a natural limit—a 60-inch wheel was about the maximum size that could be straddled by ordinary sized legs. When "safeties" replaced "ordinaries," chains and sprockets allowed small wheels to be turned faster than the pedal cranks. As result, a 28-inch wheel could be made to move a bicycle at the same speed as a 60-inch wheel. Such a bicycle was then said to be geared at 60 gear inches and pedalled similar to an ordinary with a 60-inch wheel. Thus on a bicycle geared at 72 gear inches one revolution of the pedals advances the bicycle the distance that a 72-inch wheel would in one revolution." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_inches
Very interesting. It's also interesting that I find close to 60 almost ideal. LOL. I guess it's a timeless thing. So I see the difference is the diameter of the wheel. Gotcha..... that makes sense.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 09-13-19, 10:30 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Very interesting. It's also interesting that I find close to 60 almost ideal. LOL. I guess it's a timeless thing. So I see the difference is the diameter of the wheel. Gotcha..... that makes sense.
I tell ya, if I had the coin to blow I'd like a modern Penny Farthing to cruise around on.

https://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-co...g-black-black/

https://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/p...ngs-odd-bikes/
Old 09-14-19, 08:54 PM
3S1M

Nice!