Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grade 10 or even Grade 5 bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 08:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I lost a few 3/32” bearings from my Dura Ace PD-9000 pedals accidentally.

I’m looking for some replacement 3/32” ball bearings and I see where grade 25 appears to be pretty standard. In doing a quick study on bearing grades I see where grade 10 has better sphericity and also better surface finish.

Just wondering would there be anything to be gained by using these better quality grad 10 or grade 5 bearings as opposed to the grade 25’s?

Also - would there be any advantage to using ceramic ball bearings in my Dura Ace pedals?

I rebuilt them once once this season and now I’m having to do it again. I think I did a good job the first time and I am using good grease and the correct tools but apparently I failed to lock down the locknut against the cone tight enough. So they worked themselves loose.
Old 09-18-19, 08:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
For bike use, diminishing returns occurs about Grade 200. Grade 25 balls are far better than needed but their cost is modest so they are most commonly used. Grade 10 would be even worse overkill and the improvement unmeasurable.

Ceramic balls cost much more but also provide no measurable benefit for bike use. They are the choice for very high speed, high load and high temperature applications and bikes require none of these.
Old 09-18-19, 08:58 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
As usual what HillRider said, your races would become the limiting factor with the $$$ bearings, basically a waste.
Old 09-18-19, 09:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
I’m not sure that ceramic bearings are very useful anywhere on a bike... least of all in the pedals.

Also, while I applaud your thoroughness, I don’t think it’s necessary to replace bearings in pedals unless you’re having problems. I service my Shimano pedals once every year or two, and it is basically a five minute operation. Pull out the spindle with the bearings in the carriers, fill the pedal cavity with fresh grease, put the spindle back in and tighten it down. The new grease will push out the old grease, and you’ll be fine. No bearing adjustment needed.
Old 09-18-19, 09:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
On my own bikes and many repairs I judge the balls and only replace when they show issues. For the high end repairs I often replace the balls so those riders have that "peace of mind" whether actually needed or not.I have to add that I have never seen a well serviced bearing unit fail because of reusing good balls. Now those bikes that don't get maintained for thousands of miles... Andy
Old 09-19-19, 08:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Grade 10 and ceramic bearings make your loaded bike lighter. They take the extra weight out of your wallet. No other benefit.
Old 09-20-19, 12:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
When you adjust the bearings make sure that there is a slight drag on them indicating preload.
Old 09-20-19, 12:39 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So, first, I encourage you to use the proper cone wrench so that you can tighten your cone and locknut together tight enough (with the keyed washer between them!).

Agree with the others opinions: you'll be fine and won't notice much room for improvement if you use bearings for a lawn tractor. Ceramic bearings are for the space shuttle or fighter jets or precision machine tools. Don't waste your money.

I'd recommend replacing all of the bearings, as the bearings should be matched in size and wear.