Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 9 Speed chain install

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 02:28 PM
Flaroc01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was going to switch a Campagnolo Record 9 Speed groupo from one frame to another. So I was wondering when I remove the 9 Speed chain will I need to buy a new pin to re-install it onto the new frame or did that start with the Campagnolo 10 speed? Thanks.
Old 10-13-19, 02:46 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Use a connex quick disconnect link ! They are great. You can pop the chain off in 15 sec. Much less trouble than re-peening the pin.

just type "wipperman connex 9 speed link" into ebay and find your best deal. Highly recommended.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 10-14-19, 08:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
As long as the chain has a protruding pin, it can be reassembled with the same pin. 10, 11 and 12 speed chaina are flush-pin chains that all require a new pin or a quick link to assemble.
Old 10-14-19, 01:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The first thing to ask is how worn is your chain.

The easiest check is to measure 12", if it is exactly 12", then you're OK. If you're up to 12 1/32 to 12 1/16, then I'd probably just replace the chain. Anything more than 12 1/16, and the chain is trash, and possibly your cassette.

I have a Campy 9s chain on one bike. I think it came with a pin to push in, but not snap off. If the pins push out easily, then I'd try pushing it out (90% of the way), then pushing it back in.

I do like to carry a chain tool, or chain multi-tool, just in case.
Old 10-16-19, 08:38 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Use a connex quick disconnect link ! They are great. You can pop the chain off in 15 sec. Much less trouble than re-peening the pin.

just type "wipperman connex 9 speed link" into ebay and find your best deal. Highly recommended.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Yup. Don't mess around with pins.
Other brands are good too.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-16-19, 02:14 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Flaroc01
I was going to switch a Campagnolo Record 9 Speed groupo from one frame to another. So I was wondering when I remove the 9 Speed chain will I need to buy a new pin to re-install it onto the new frame or did that start with the Campagnolo 10 speed? Thanks.
No.

Campagnolo didn't move to peened flush riveted chains until the 10 speed era although the other companies transitioned long before that.

Measuring your chain is prudent. Use 11" instead of 12" so you can use the fractional marks on a standard ruler.

Expect to replace your chain due to degraded front shifting performance from increased flexibility before that happens. Campagnolo chains are harder than other brands and don't elongate as fast.
Old 10-20-19, 07:00 PM
Flaroc01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.