Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has anyone found folding SPD/platform pedals?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 09:12 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Has anyone found combination SPD/platform pedals that fold? So far I am not having any luck.

I have Shimano M324's on my touring bike. They are my favorites so far. The folder has Shimano A520's. The SPD clips are fine on the A520's but the platforms are too slick for much riding, but OK for short stuff. If I could find something like the M324's that fold that would be ideal on the folder. Otherwise, I have to stick to the regular pedals.

I can't do any miles without SPD's so if I can't find the combo in a folding pedal I guess that is a small price to pay for keeping a very ridable set up. If I ride all day (60+ miles) I do 95% of my riding clipped in. When my calves wear out I have to shift my feet forward to change the pressure to the arch of my foot or heel. Its impossible to run that foot position clipped in so thats where the platforms come in to play. That and, of course, wearing regular shoes for short rides/town.
Old 10-13-19, 11:26 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
I just started with some Wellgo QRD-II MG-8.
They are quick removable so you can swap in their platform pedals very quickly.

You can also look at the Shimano PD-T8000 pedals which are like the A520, but a much wider and conventional platform portion.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../PD-T8000.html
I have this pedal and its good for the dual purpose use that you mentioned.
Old 10-14-19, 04:28 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Also look at Fly pedals. They turn SPD's into platform pedals. https://www.flypedals.com/products/f...nt=18941888645

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-14-19, 10:07 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
I just started with some Wellgo QRD-II MG-8.
They are quick removable so you can swap in their platform pedals very quickly.
Swapping pedals, regardless of needing a wrench or a quick snap in/out design, is out of the question as it requires stopping to swap. The whole idea of using platforms on-the-go is just that - when I am pounding the miles the platforms let me unclip and get my feet where I need them to relieve worn out muscles, no stopping. For a quick town ride where I don't have SPD shoes on at all, thats a different story, but not often enough to warrant that style interchangeable pedal over what I am already using.

Originally Posted by pinholecam
You can also look at the Shimano PD-T8000 pedals which are like the A520, but a much wider and conventional platform portion.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../PD-T8000.html
I have this pedal and its good for the dual purpose use that you mentioned.
I'll look at the PD-T8000's. If those use the same studs my platforms do (not sure what they are, double sided platforms though - not the dual sided spd/platform shimanos) then I have a bag full of spare suds already. I have a hunch those will grip better on the platform side than even the M324's do that I ride now.

Originally Posted by downtube
Also look at Fly pedals. They turn SPD's into platform pedals. https://www.flypedals.com/products/f...nt=18941888645

Thanks
Yan
I had never heard of that kind of adapter before. Good stuff.

Though, I did research them a hair bit just now and it seems the large majority of people hate them for the following main reasons:
- They are a pain to unclip from the SPD latch
- They weight the pedal to where the adapter side is always down unless you are riding them (and if your feet come off the pedals they immediately go to the platform-down position)

My combo platform/SPD pedals are the same with respect to being heavier on the platform side, so to some extent that isn't anything new to me.