Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

My first recumbent trike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

My first recumbent trike

Old 05-06-07, 07:09 AM
spin02

Bikes: '05 Salsa Dos Niner (singlespeed), '04 Salsa Bandito, '04 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first recumbent trike

I was at a LBS this weekend and they had a Sun EX-Tad on display. I took it out for a spin and Man, that thing is fun to ride. I almost bought it, but decided to wait and do some research. I have noticed a few people have made comments about it being very heavy and others with issues of bolts coming loose.

I also noticed some positive feedback for TerraTrike. Now I am torn.

Could anyone offer more suggestions on an entry level recumbent trike? I am looking to spend under $2000. Also, I am a large guy at 6'5" and 260.
Old 05-06-07, 12:15 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by spin02
. Could anyone offer more suggestions on an entry level recumbent trike? I am looking to spend under $2000. Also, I am a large guy at 6'5" and 260.
With those personal specs, I would save up and get a Greenspeed!
A GTO or GTR is about twice your budget, but it will be the right trike the first time.
And it appears that you have "fallen" for the recumbent trike idea!

You could keep your money handy and shop used, to get a good trike for less. But when they are offered, they tend to sell pretty quickly.
I recently sold a used Trice X2. I listed it and didn't hear a peep for 2 weeks. Then the first inquiry came in. Too pricy for that buyer. The next contact was from a lady who sounded like she would be at my doorstep within the hour.
With the $6,000 in hand!
Turns out she was in Arizona, so we met a few days later in L.A. Done deal!
And then I had to field about 3 dozen other inquiries before I could pull the listings!
(that trike sells new for $14,688!!!!!!)
So good deals on recumbent trikes ARE out there, but you had better be ready to JUMP ON IT!
Exception; I found a listing for a Greenspeed GTX on the LBS bulletin board for $2,900.
5 months later, it was mine! For the total price of $2,000.
I looked at the Greenspeed website, retail with all the accessories that I got with it, would have been just shy of $8,000. (I'M a happy camper!)

All it takes is "Ready Money!"

Old 05-06-07, 02:34 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My issue with spending big bucks on a first trike is: will I still enjoy it years down the road?

There are plenty of good priced trikes such as terratrike, catrike,HPvelotecnik etc. $2K to $5K seems to be quite decent and good quality. I tend to think of really expensive trikes as Ferraris; sure they're fast but they're mostly for showing off.
Old 05-07-07, 05:50 AM
spin02

Bikes: '05 Salsa Dos Niner (singlespeed), '04 Salsa Bandito, '04 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am leaning toward the terratrike. I still have to call a few shops for more info. The biggest problem I have is, I live in a small town in Southwest Virginia. I had to travel 2 hours just to see a trike. So I have limited resources. I plan on making some more phone calls today to see what is actually available within a reasonable distance.
Old 05-07-07, 11:51 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Zeuser
My issue with spending big bucks on a first trike is: will I still enjoy it years down the road?
If for some strange reason you DON'T still enjoy it, you can usually recoup most of your investment by reselling it.
I'm keeping mine until they become classic & vintage steeds. And even then, I think one or more of the kids will take them over eventually!

I tend to think of really expensive trikes as Ferraris; sure they're fast but they're mostly for showing off.
Allow me to "show off" my "Ferrari"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shift01.jpg (86.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
Frari01x.jpg (90.1 KB, 61 views)

Old 05-07-07, 12:30 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visit www.actionbent.com. They sell the same trike as I do (I can't sell to the States). These trikes are well-reviewed and perform very well. They have a 275 pound weight limit so you're right on the edge. And at $1400 new, you can practically afford to buy two!
Old 05-07-07, 12:51 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeff-o
Visit www.actionbent.com. They sell the same trike as I do (I can't sell to the States). These trikes are well-reviewed and perform very well. They have a 275 pound weight limit so you're right on the edge. And at $1400 new, you can practically afford to buy two!
I'm confused. Are TW trikes the same as Actionbents? They look a bit different on the pictures.
Old 05-07-07, 01:07 PM
spin02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would an Aluminum frame be a problem for a guy my size. I plan on doing some light trail riding with it also. We have a ton of rails-to-trails in my area. Most are hard packed and fairly smooth. I wouldn't be abusing it but I might have it off pavement.
Old 05-07-07, 02:11 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused. Are TW trikes the same as Actionbents? They look a bit different on the pictures.
Yes, ActionBents are TW-Bents Trikes (TW-Trikes). TW-Bents makes two models, the original Trike and the newer Apoyo.
Old 05-07-07, 02:18 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would an Aluminum frame be a problem for a guy my size. I plan on doing some light trail riding with it also. We have a ton of rails-to-trails in my area. Most are hard packed and fairly smooth. I wouldn't be abusing it but I might have it off pavement.
If you stick to smooth roads and trails, you'll be fine. Just avoid big potholes and curbs if you can. There's a built-in safety margin to handle bumps and things, of course. Also make sure that you keep the wheels trued and the spokes properly tensioned so they stay nice and strong. Any bike shop can do this for you if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 05-07-07, 05:07 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Under $2K is no problem. Buy used. There are a number of good trikes in almost new condition that you can buy for that or less. You'll spend the same as you would for a cheap new one, but you get a better trike. Besides, after you ride it a few times, it becomes used.....
Old 05-07-07, 05:10 PM
spin02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you stick to smooth roads and trails, you'll be fine. Just avoid big potholes and curbs if you can. There's a built-in safety margin to handle bumps and things, of course. Also make sure that you keep the wheels trued and the spokes properly tensioned so they stay nice and strong. Any bike shop can do this for you if you don't want to do it yourself.
Good advice. I will try to keep it well maintained.

I just found a shop within a reasonable distance that has several trikes I can ride. They carry Wizwheels, Catrikes, and Greenspeed. So I will actually get to try a few models out before laying down the cash.

I assume I can ride my clipless pedals?
Old 05-08-07, 09:43 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice. I will try to keep it well maintained.

I just found a shop within a reasonable distance that has several trikes I can ride. They carry Wizwheels, Catrikes, and Greenspeed. So I will actually get to try a few models out before laying down the cash.

I assume I can ride my clipless pedals?
I actually recommend clipless pedals on a trike. Quite possibly the most useful upgrade on a trike, next to fenders. If you only ride when it's dry, then clipless pedals should be #1 on your list.

If you're not sure if the bike ship will have the right pedals on hand, then just bring yours. they're easy enough to swap.
Old 05-08-07, 10:33 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a great LBS or are good with a wrench, the actionbent trike is very well received by those I have spoken to. Otherwise I'd try to find me a used catrike or greenspeed, then go for a new terratrike, and lastly, the sun.

Not that any are bad bikes, but you'll likely regret the weight of the sun on the VA hills!
Old 05-08-07, 10:49 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
If you have a great LBS or are good with a wrench, the actionbent trike is very well received by those I have spoken to. Otherwise I'd try to find me a used catrike or greenspeed, then go for a new terratrike, and lastly, the sun.

Not that any are bad bikes, but you'll likely regret the weight of the sun on the VA hills!
You can get some great deals on used Catrikes if you check the classified section of BROL. I am always amazed at how many low mileage low cost trikes & bikes get sold on that forum.
Old 05-08-07, 11:13 AM
spin02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg

When I was test riding he sun, I realized how heavy it was. I was very pleased to see the weight of other manufactures at just over 30 lbs.
Old 05-08-07, 11:16 AM
spin02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually recommend clipless pedals on a trike. Quite possibly the most useful upgrade on a trike, next to fenders. If you only ride when it's dry, then clipless pedals should be #1 on your list.

If you're not sure if the bike ship will have the right pedals on hand, then just bring yours. they're easy enough to swap.
I plan on taking my pedals with me this weekend for my test rides. I ride Mtn pedals now. Will they work or should I consider getting some road pedals. I can see how fenders would come in handy too.
Old 05-08-07, 11:26 AM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still shopping and I'm quite confused. The trikes I have on my list so far are, in order:

- HPVelotecnik's Scorpion FX (folder)
- Greenspeed GT3 (folder)
- Catrike expedition

I may be interested in Terrtrike and Actionbent (TW) as well but I don't know a lot about those products.
My needs for a trike are:

1 - Commuting to work (10km one-way)
2 - Day long rides on local bike trails
3 - Weekend camping expeditions. I haven't done that yet, but I would be interested in trying a weekend trike-camping trip.

So why the folders? Well, for storage and transport. My favorite vacation spot is about 1000km away and I'd like to bring the trike over. Seems to me a folding trike would be easier to carry in my luxury sedan with non-folding rear seats.
Old 05-08-07, 11:29 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I plan on taking my pedals with me this weekend for my test rides. I ride Mtn pedals now. Will they work or should I consider getting some road pedals. I can see how fenders would come in handy too.
Mtn shoes and pedals are preferable because you can walk on them fairly easily....
Old 05-08-07, 11:33 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, MTB pedals will work just fine. I use Eggbeater pedals on my trike, for example.

Zeuser, every trike you've mentioned in your last post will fit all of those needs, except for the folding. However, you can get a hitch-mounted rack for trikes that will let you transport whatever model you choose wherever you want. I use one made by Wizwheelz to transport my TW-Bents (ActionBent) trike.
Old 05-08-07, 11:49 AM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's part of the problem. I don't have a hitch on that car and I don't plan on putting on one. The car is on a lease and I'm not doing any modding to it, including a hitch.

My next car will be chosen based on biking. Probably a wagon or something. But in the meantime, I still want something I can carry in that luxo sedan until it's lease is up (10 months or so).
Old 05-08-07, 11:52 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's part of the problem. I don't have a hitch on that car and I don't plan on putting on one. The car is on a lease and I'm not doing any modding to it, including a hitch.

My next car will be chosen based on biking. Probably a wagon or something. But in the meantime, I still want something I can carry in that luxo sedan until it's lease is up (10 months or so).
Ah, I see. That does pose a problem. Are you planning to visit that vacation spot in the next 10 months? If not, then you could get a non-folding trike now, under the assumption that your next car will have a hitch on it.
Old 05-08-07, 12:08 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going there in August (3 months or so).

Lets assume for a moment that I'll get a non-folding trike. I still have a few options for transport. A roof rack and my current trunk mounted rack.

when I go car shopping sometime next year, I'll have to consider the size of the trunk to match the trike. My thinking here is to get some decent sized wagon with fold-down rear seats so I can get the trike into it without taking it apart. I have no need for rear seats so that's not a problem.

So you see why a folder is looking pretty good for me right now. If I were to get a non-folder, I'll have to get some new bike rack in the meantime or figure out a way to get a trike to fit on that Thule trunk rack; probably by removing the wheels.

Anyway, back to the trikes. A sporty version is not what I'm looking for. A commuter and weekender is mostly what I want. And I don't want to spend top dollar on my first trike. I really like trikes right now but I'm not sure I want to throw a bunch of money at one right away.

The Scoprion fx is $4,400 CDN and with a few options, like the streamer, it'll be close to $5,000 CDN. That's about as much as I want to spend. There's a LBS that even sells them. Terri even promised me he'd have a Scorpion in sometime in May so I can go down there and try it out. He did have an FX the last time I went there but it was still in the box.
Old 05-09-07, 09:18 AM
spin02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I see. That does pose a problem. Are you planning to visit that vacation spot in the next 10 months? If not, then you could get a non-folding trike now, under the assumption that your next car will have a hitch on it.
I would imagine you could use a roof rack with three trays. Has anyone tried something like this?
Old 05-09-07, 10:43 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I've seen a lot of people just rachet the bike down to the roof with no rack. Though I'd be too chicken to do it myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.