Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent Trike recommendations

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 11:36 AM
First step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Here is my situation, I am a 52 yr old women who is looking to purchase a recumbent trike. I currently own an old upright trike, Desoto, I think. My husband upgraded it from 3 speed to 7 speed. With this bike I feel like I am riding a brick. I have been riding that type bike since I was about 12. I need the 3 wheels due to cerebral palsy which effects my ability to walk and balance. I have been doing research to see what type of trikes are available and have been interested in the Cattrike Pocket. The nearest bike shop which carries it is 2 hrs away. So before I drag my husband to the shop I would like to get some recommendations.

Look forward to getting your suggestions.

First step
Old 07-10-10, 11:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Chuck likes his:

Old 07-10-10, 04:35 PM
Mr Gnome

Bikes: Sun X3-SX recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sun X3-SX delta. (Delta is one wheel in the front and two in the rear.) It's like yours but a recumbent, lower to the ground, but not too low and should be faster. With you being used to a full sized trike you may like a delta better than a tad pole style. With it being lower it's also not as squirrely as yours...or how I think yours would be. I've never come close to tipping and I run my 80 lb labrador on it that likes to chase squirrels, fly around corners, etc. I've never ridden one like Chuck's, so all I can tell you is about mine. I'd say I'm sure his is faster and a lot better quality.

Mr Gnome
Old 07-10-10, 06:51 PM
h_scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendation

We're very close in age to you and my wife and I both purchased trikes last summer. My wife is only 5'4" and ~ 125 pounds - but she decided that the Catrike Expedition was the most comfortable for her. She tried the Pocket but thought it too confining. The best advise is to make a trip to a shop that has many models that you can try (we made an overnight trip as the shop was 5+ hours away). You just can't do it on paper. You can get recommendations but you'll only learn what the other person likes. For the record I chose a TRICE Q. We're both happy we did!
Old 07-10-10, 07:10 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Catrike Pocket. Small 16" wheels so it is very quick turning and I learned very quickly to use ONLY my little finger on the brakes- it stops very well- it seems like I hit a wall if I grab the brake levers with all fingers!

I am very pleased with it. My full size velomobile is too long, wide, heavy and tall for my living situation right now and the Catrike is small, light, skinny, and short. I have a great time with mine- a lot of people here think I am a kid when I ride it- but I am 57- almost 58.
Old 07-12-10, 08:47 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have great choices in modern trikes. Most of them will leave you feeling as if you are riding a sports car rather than a brick.

If you would have trouble getting in or out of a very low seat you might want to check out the higher ICE models. Comments/reviews of those and other trikes are available at BentRider Online.
Old 07-13-10, 01:32 PM
altozwei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Catrike Pocket for my son and I ride a Road. I am a big Catrike fan but there are many different trikes out there and, as others have noted, the best thing you can do is try out as many as is possible. Even if you need to go out of town overnight to test ride trikes, it will be well worth your time and expense to do so. IF you cannot go somewhere reasonably close to try out multiple trikes, then just do the best research you can before you buy. I can certainly recommend the Catrikes as I know them to be fine, dependable pieces of equipment but Terra trike offers a nice line of trikes and will give you a 30-day test ride - definitely worth a look. Some other brands to research: ICE, Trident, Greenspeed, and LoGo.
As for the Pocket, we found my son's on Craigslist for less than half of its list price. It is an excellent little trike, very light weight and highly responsive. The Pocket is particularly low to the ground. Will your CP cause any difficulties getting in or out of a tadpole style trike do to their low height? If so, you might want to focus your attention on one of the models that is higher off the ground, such as the Catrike Villager or the Terra Trike Rover.
Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!
Old 07-13-10, 04:43 PM
First step

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply altozwei. I am hoping that within the next 2 weeks I can go on a road trip to try out the Catrikes. By the description I am leaning toward the Pocket. As for the height of the seat, well I will just have to wait and see. I am sure with alittle practice and more exercise the height won't become an issue. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-10, 08:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I can't give you any advice on specific trikes, but like any recumbent when you find the right one it will 'speak' to you and tell you it's right. Good luck in your search!
Old 07-20-10, 02:27 PM
Emmitt G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a lot of trike's, but ended up picking a catrike.....I love it....
Old 08-14-10, 04:32 PM
dougfoot
Micro Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding recumbent trikes since 2002 and have enjoyed every minute. If you have the opportunity, check out ICE trikes. Unlike Catrikes, the seat angle is ajustable, the new models are foldable, and a couple models have suspension.

Doug
https://www.crazytrike.com
Old 08-15-10, 02:28 PM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the TerraTrike line, they have some excellent products that cover the gamut, and their customer service is beyond excellent. https://www.terratrike.com/index.php
Old 08-15-10, 06:34 PM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First step,

Before you spring for fresh paint, try Craigslist for a Sun EZ3.

Here's several using Google search: https://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I've seen them for as cheap as $400 used. The Sun dealer network is the largest in the USA because they are available through most ANY bike shop if you decide to buy new.
Old 08-16-10, 07:32 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaPa
First step,

Before you spring for fresh paint, try Craigslist .
Bought my Catrike from an ad on Craigslist, Cat 700 this morning with 3 other trikes:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/1900448866.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1900317687.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1897610994.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1896556028.htm
Old 09-11-10, 09:12 AM
Spinninngrinnin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
My situation may or may not track with yours but there is one word that really speaks to taking that test drive on the trike, not just on the 'Net. I have a lower back fusion due to a fractured vertebra. Of course, there's some nerve involvement too all wrapped around a "minor-CP" diagnosis at birth. So, I have a Catrike 700 which is great once moving. The difficulty is the ingress, egress part. Make sure you can readily get on your proposed new ride easily...if not, there may not be as much riding done as you thought. Also noticed almost all suggestions made refer to tadpole trikes. You will also want to try some delta-style trikes too. Yes, I am so much looking at the Hase line of trikes now...not regretting te 700, but wondering how/if I can own two trikes!
Old 09-12-10, 03:13 AM
ladybugrider
Get 'Bent & Enjoy!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ez 3 all the way!!!

I invested in an EZ 3 back in 2007. I can honestly say that next to my mac, it is the best purchase I made ever. I say it is like riding a la-z-boy on wheels. It is awesome. Something I didn't realize before I bought it, how having the 3 wheels makes all the difference. If I want to stop on a hill and eat something, I just have to balance on the petals instead of using the break - I love it! I have bunches of lights, bags and all sorts of things added (for trailing daughter) and the bike is a breeze to ride. When I am feeling lazy, my average speed is 13 MPH and when I want to "ride like the wind" my average speed is 25 MPH. I do have fenders as well, but no fairing. Hope this helps. Good luck.