Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Office Bag

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ortlieb Office Bag

Old 07-17-12, 12:44 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ortlieb Office Bag

Our teenager is headed off for college in 5 weeks or so. I have been fixing up his Jamis Trail X1 to be used as a campus bike. Today's tweak - and I have no more on my list - was attaching the QL3 mounting system for his Ortlieb Office Bag. It's a Topeak Explorer rack he has on the back.

I tried a few configurations and ended up with the bag hanging quite far off the back of the rack - his heels just clear:

Old 07-17-12, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
RE Ortlieb, they set the fittings for the hooks on, and punch the bag for the screws
at an angle on those bags don't they?

or was that the QL2?

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-19-12 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 01:44 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I've got that set up from Ortlieb on my drop MTB commuter, and I have tp say, it's beneath my expectations for Ortlieb. It moves over time, isn't tight enough to the rack, isn't adjustable enough and the bag takes too much work to take the straps on and off. Not pleased.
Old 07-17-12, 01:57 PM
Jim Kukula

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, I hope the teenager has better experiences with the system than Mr. Snake! Really I hope the whole thing doesn't get stolen in the first month so the teenager at least gets to experience its various good & bad aspects.

The QL3 mount is interesting. There is a sort of wire and plastic skeleton that gets bolted onto the rack. Maybe I should snug those bolts down a bit more to keep the skeleton from slipping on the rack! The skeleton then presents three buttons to the bag. The bag has three slots into which the buttons can slide and lock into place.

The slots are pretty much flush on the bags surface so it makes a nice package to lug about in office, classroom, etc.

Old 07-17-12, 05:42 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I've got that set up from Ortlieb on my drop MTB commuter, and I have tp say, it's beneath my expectations for Ortlieb. It moves over time, isn't tight enough to the rack, isn't adjustable enough and the bag takes too much work to take the straps on and off. Not pleased.
Tell Ortlieb that then. They are very responsive and appreciative of peoples opinions.
Old 07-17-12, 05:44 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would agree the locking system of the ortlieb bag you have is not really the best go. They should put the system they use on the classics on there. Everything is adjustable.
Old 07-17-12, 06:36 PM
spinbackle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you set this up so the bag leans forward? In other words, the leading edge of the bag would be parallel to how his lower leg (calf) is in that picture. Google some pics of the Ortlieb Office Bag to see how others have set this up. FWIW, I have the other (QL 1 or QL 2) version of this and have no problems with heel strike but it's set up like I described above. Hope this helps.

Scott
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 07-17-12, 06:43 PM
spinbackle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like so......

Not my bike BTW......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ortlieb-office-bag-06.jpg (72.6 KB, 173 views)
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 07-17-12, 07:21 PM
Jim Kukula

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Focusing more on how that plastic and wire skeleton is attached to the rack: There are three points of attachment. The upper two are loops of plastic that are snugly bolted to the rack supports. These loops are also clamped along the upper plastic rail of the triangle. The buttons from which the bag hangs are at fixed points along that rail. I can clamp the loops to the rail pretty much wherever I please.

The lower point of attachment is just a finger of plastic that keeps the bag from swaying outward. I have this finger just grabbing the rearmost rack support. So my options for attaching the skeleton seems mostly to be limited to fixing that finger at that rearmost point, and then rotating the rest of the skeleton around that fixed point. So I could have the bag sloped the other way, but that would actually be rotating the bag closer to the rider's heel.

Anyway, the thing seems to be working OK as is - for the moment, I have a smiling teenager! It'll be interesting to see what happens when he gets to college! For many more reasons than just how the Office Bag attachment works out in use!
Old 07-17-12, 07:31 PM
Jim Kukula

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, I can see now a real weakness of the QL3 approach. It's that lower finger. On a QL2 mount that finger can be repositioned toward the front or rear of the bag. With the QL3 the finger is stuck in the middle of the bag. Really they could just make that skeleton a bit more elaborate, e.g. a lower rail along which the finger could be clamped like the upper loops are clamped, with the lower button in a fixed position just like the upper buttons. As it is now, the lower button is the same bit of plastic assembly as the finger clamp.
Old 07-17-12, 08:40 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Is that with the clip inserts that it is still too loose?
Old 07-17-12, 09:05 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Yes...the little clamps don't fasten well and they move over time...and the lower piece doesn't brace well. The adjustibility/flexibility is also poor - it was very hard to get this flush with the rack.
Old 07-17-12, 10:05 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that bag weatherproof?
Old 07-18-12, 09:08 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes...the little clamps don't fasten well and they move over time...and the lower piece doesn't brace well. The adjustibility/flexibility is also poor - it was very hard to get this flush with the rack.
You could try putting some tube in the clip.

I'm surprised at people saying the skeleton has moved over time. I haven't had mine move and I've been using it daily for the better part of a year. One of the steel wires has bent a bit, but I had my bag really overloaded with weight.

Here's some pictures of how mine is mounted. It does overhang the rack some, but not too badly. I don't have any heel strike issues and I wear a 12/13 in a shoe. May have longer chain stays, though.

Last edited by Zrane; 07-18-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 10:00 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I've been having photobucket issues today, but hopefully this works. Note that I had to bend in the rack due to limited placement options. It flexes and the brace below doesn't provide support.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 07-18-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 12:07 PM
Jim Kukula

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zrane
I haven't had mine move and I've been using it daily for the better part of a year. One of the steel wires has bent a bit, but I had my bag really overloaded with weight.
Ah, I can see from the picture, you have the upper attachments fastened to the horizontal supports of the rack. That is surely much more secure and less liable to shifting. It puts the bag higher too, which helps avoid heel strikes.

Another possibility would be to loop one attachment to a horizontal rack support and another to a vertical support, to angle the bag which should create some heel room.

Our teenager has a Topeak rack bag that slides onto the rack, and I didn't want the QL3 system to interfere with that. Probably he won't need to use both bags at the same time but it would be nice for him to be able to pick, e.g. Office Bag for going to class, rack bag for weekend exploration.
Old 07-19-12, 06:56 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Kukula
Ah, I can see from the picture, you have the upper attachments fastened to the horizontal supports of the rack. That is surely much more secure and less liable to shifting. It puts the bag higher too, which helps avoid heel strikes.

Another possibility would be to loop one attachment to a horizontal rack support and another to a vertical support, to angle the bag which should create some heel room.

Our teenager has a Topeak rack bag that slides onto the rack, and I didn't want the QL3 system to interfere with that. Probably he won't need to use both bags at the same time but it would be nice for him to be able to pick, e.g. Office Bag for going to class, rack bag for weekend exploration.
I have a cheap rack with only 2 vertical supports, so I'm pretty lacking in ways I can angle the bag. By pushing it back on the rack, I've got plenty of clearance though. Overall, I've been very happy with the bag and the rack. I think if it was a bag I would have to carry around campus, I might get a Timbuk2 shift or that wire rack designed for holding a backpack.
Old 07-19-12, 07:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Well maybe a retrofit of the regular pannier hooks will make the bag actually fit
without depending on the button clip and plastic rail scheme.

they use a piercing button head screw that secures hardware
with a plastic acorn nut, inside .
+ some bits and pieces to close up un used mounting holes..
Old 07-19-12, 09:31 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF? The QL-3 system rocks! What rack do you have? I have a Topeak rack and have had the bag for a year. I haven't had to make any adjustments at all. When the bag clicks on it is absolutely solid. Not sure what you're doing wrong but maybe have another look to make sure you've attached it right.

As for the shoulder strap, leave it attached! I just place it inside the bag and close the lid. Look where I live, I haven't had any problems riding in the rain doing it this way.
Old 07-19-12, 09:39 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by newkie
WTF? The QL-3 system rocks! What rack do you have? I have a Topeak rack and have had the bag for a year. I haven't had to make any adjustments at all. When the bag clicks on it is absolutely solid. Not sure what you're doing wrong but maybe have another look to make sure you've attached it right.

As for the shoulder strap, leave it attached! I just place it inside the bag and close the lid. Look where I live, I haven't had any problems riding in the rain doing it this way.
FYI - your response was fairly rude, though probably unintentionally so. I showed pretty detailed photos of what I did, and it was done properly. The truth is that those mounting clasps suck and when I initially set it up, tensioning it lightly broke one of the clasps internal stops. It shifts if there is any substantial weight in the bag. The lower brace provides no support and the adaptability of the system was poor.

I have it latched to a blackburn. I use the commuter backpack and I find the system inconvenient...every time I unhook the bag from the skeleton, I have to pull the straps out and attach.
Old 07-19-12, 09:40 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I would agree the locking system of the ortlieb bag you have is not really the best go. They should put the system they use on the classics on there. Everything is adjustable.
Again, WTF? Can you expand on your personal experience with the QL3?

OP, ignore these guys. I spent nearly a year obsessing on this bag until I finally got it last year. I've been using mine for a year and, clearly, have only good things to say! It is the highest quality pannier I've owned and the QL3 system has been rock solid. Every day when I easily lify by bag off the rack I thank the heavens I'm not still using my old Knog which never wanted to let go.

You made a seriously great purchase. It's the most functional pannier I've ever seen and looks class to boot!
Old 07-19-12, 09:45 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI - your response was fairly rude, though probably unintentionally so. I showed pretty detailed photos of what I did, and it was done properly. The truth is that those mounting clasps suck and when I initially set it up, tensioning it lightly broke one of the clasps internal stops. It shifts if there is any substantial weight in the bag. The lower brace provides no support and the adaptability of the system was poor.

I have it latched to a blackburn. I use the commuter backpack and I find the system inconvenient...every time I unhook the bag from the skeleton, I have to pull the straps out and attach.
You must have gotten a defective part. I'd also suggest writing Ortlieb and see about getting a replacement. It's been a while since I attached mine but I would have used a fair amount of tension and as I said mine is rock solid. Again, for the strap I just leave mine attached and fold it inside the bag.
Old 07-19-12, 09:45 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBoy10
Is that bag weatherproof?
It's an awesome bag. I don't know what the bar thingy is the 2 OPs are attaching to their racks though. Does not seem to help their experience, for sure.
Old 07-19-12, 09:51 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by newkie
You must have gotten a defective part. I'd also suggest writing Ortlieb and see about getting a replacement. It's been a while since I attached mine but I would have used a fair amount of tension and as I said mine is rock solid. Again, for the strap I just leave mine attached and fold it inside the bag.
Actually I think it's a crappy system and your judgement is defective. OP, ignore this guy, it's a flawed design. Mine doesn't have "a strap", it has two back pack straps that plug into the mountings where it fits to the rack. It's a poor design there as well.

It is a complete steaming pile of poo compared to the Ortlieb QL2 design and the bags with hooks on the other side are much easier to use.

I suggest you start considering the difference between a subjective opinion and a fact. Your view is a subjective opinion. Others disagree and can have opinions without being wrong. My opinion is that the system stinks, from the bag to the skeleton. It's needlessly complex, the parts are cheap junk and it's beneath Ortlieb to release this into the market.
Old 07-19-12, 09:56 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I think it's a crappy system and your judgement is defective. OP, ignore this guy, it's a flawed design. Mine doesn't have "a strap", it has two back pack straps that plug into the mountings where it fits to the rack. It's a poor design there as well.
Well you have a different bag then. And now you're the one being rude. This guy made a big investment for his kid and you keep crapping all over it. You've had your say, now feck off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.