Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

End of Team Sky as we know it?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 02:07 PM
crad159

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we nearing the end of Team Sky as we know it?

Chris Froome, who was unsuccessful in his attempt to win at Criterium du Dauphine, renewed his contract with Sky back in december of '13. But Wiggins will likely move to another team when his contract runs out at the end of this year. He crashed out of the Tour du Suisse and has even gone public saying he will not ride the tour. There seems to be a lot of tension between Froome and Wiggins, neither want to be support riders to each other, and between Wiggins and Dave Brailsford, the team director. Though, Brailsford has said that he will make the final decision about who rides in this years Tour de France, Wiggins' performance will likely not warrant him a spot.

So, where does Team Sky stand? They certainly have a lot of younger riders who are rising through it's camp and becoming well known, but the Sky camp seems to have turned from a British breeding team to a pro tour team that is willing to cut ties with one of the most important British riders, Wiggo, if he can't perform.
Old 06-22-14, 02:24 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great post...A++ would read again!
Old 06-22-14, 02:26 PM
cnguyen0320

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wiggins is performing... He won the tour of california and I think that is enough to speak for his performance. The chemistry just isnt there and a team can't win without teamwork. I would really like to see Froome and Wiggins work together but idk if it will happen.
Old 06-22-14, 03:00 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought this was going to be about Froome or Wiggins getting busted for the doping they are doing.
Old 06-22-14, 05:38 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from Road to Pro.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 06-24-14, 08:08 AM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There can only be 1 Alpha male on the Team. Sky has to put it's money with Froome. Wiggins looks OK, but is certainly in the twilight of his career.
Old 06-24-14, 08:55 AM
dru_

Bikes: Fuji Absolute, Cannondale CAAD10, Orbea Ordu m-30, Cannondale Jeckyl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GaIslander
There can only be 1 Alpha male on the Team. Sky has to put it's money with Froome. Wiggins looks OK, but is certainly in the twilight of his career.
I think more telling is the relationships between Porte and Froome than the one between Wiggins and Froome. Neither Wiggins nor Froome are prepared to be a domestique to the other. So long as Porte is working with Froome as well as they do, Wiggins is going to find himself on the outside looking in. That said, I think at the end of the day, this transition is well suited to Wiggins to move back to the track where he seems to be happiest, as I just don't see him ever becoming a super-domestique, it is not his personality.

That said, take a good hard look at Sky and it will be a very interesting TdF. Froome looks like he is in good form, but this course looks to me to favor Contador over Froome. I could see an outsider making a run at the GC though, and the late placement of the ITT could make for some great story lines late in the race if Talansky, Martin, or Van Garderen can stay close, as any one of those guys could potentially put a minute or more into Contador in that ITT.

My wife HATES this time of year. She grumbles that at least football season is only one day a week for 16 weeks. The TdF is 21 days all together
Old 06-24-14, 11:34 AM
ballinger5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO Froome is the future of the team. Sky has a lot of young talent they are grooming. On a side note I hope Contador wrecks out. I can't stand him.
Old 06-24-14, 12:57 PM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinger5
IMO Froome is the future of the team. Sky has a lot of young talent they are grooming. On a side note I hope Contador wrecks out. I can't stand him.
He probably can't stand you either.
Old 06-24-14, 01:04 PM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dru_

My wife HATES this time of year. She grumbles that at least football season is only one day a week for 16 weeks. The TdF is 21 days all together

I am a lucky guy. My girlfriend, no wife unfortunately, enjoys watching it and stays tuned in to all the aspects. We look forward to the expanded coverage every night. The expanded coverage is the best with interviews and they cut the boring stuff out. It is hard to stay away from coverage during the day. I confess I sometimes peak because I can't stand the wait. Even my 86 year old mother stays glued to the TV, she watches during the day. My mother watches a lot of TV and is into sports, but more importantly, I was born in France and we lived there for 6 years. She loves watching the aerial photography and coverage of the countryside.

The coverage is great. Only a few more days!!